The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E9/B6 U-12 Modified From Basic Newman Copedent
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 11 May 2024 8:09 am    

U-12 7+6.
LKV is from John Hughey copedent and eliminates the feel stop.
The B6th side is basic with the back LKR B to Bb and pedals 4,5,6,7.
This copedent has worked well for me for many years.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 May 2024 3:37 pm    

I also tune the 2nd string to C# and raise it for E9.
For me it works better than the other way round.
I think I got that from Mike Perlowin.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 11 May 2024 4:47 pm    

C# raise to D and D# makes more sense to me also. It's a 6th tone in E and a 9th tone in B. I found it more useful in raising it. Most C6th players have gone from a G to a D on the first string. On B6th universal vs C6th, both G (F#) and D (C#) are the first two strings.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Harry Johansen

Kvalsund.Norway/Valencia Dumaguete,Phils.
Post  Posted 18 May 2024 9:35 pm    

When I lower the E's,it also lower the 2nd str to C# on same knee.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 19 May 2024 4:05 am    

The Franklin pull on the first string F# to G# can be duplicated from the B6th or B7th by raising C# to D#. It's another reason I like the 2nd string tuned to C# and raised to D#. The open C# also is a nice 6th tone to E9th. My most recent addition to the left knee cluster that I like, is doing away with the feel stop on the second string. It's now a quick grab to get the second string (D) without having to go sharp on it or drift away from it when using it with A or B pedal. It's a solid D. Now it's just a learning curve after playing the same 5 knee copedent for several decades. As Big E used to say, "we learn as we go." Very Happy

Harry Johansen

Kvalsund.Norway/Valencia Dumaguete,Phils.
Post  Posted 19 May 2024 4:54 am    

I have another knee that lower 2.and 8.string to D

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 19 May 2024 8:11 am    

Harry, that's another good option.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2024 5:02 pm    

Hi SG folks; this might be interesting to you...For it's an Excel 12 universal; that I bought yrs ago. But I sold it to Robert Randolph. And I have a new one that has never been used. The photos are the one of Roberts. A Copedent, and 4 photos of the Guitar. I hope you like it. I thought it was beautiful...Do let me know what you think; dear SG Folks. Very Happy

My new one; has more updates; that I told Mitsuo to add. He is a Gem.Laughing And the new one; has 2 open Keys to use. like E9/B6 or C6, is the way I programmed it. And it's Awesome, how it works...and it's simple. Wow!

The Copedent

The Photos

[color=blue]Dear Folks...you might finding this interesting, It's my last PSG of an Excel 12 Universal...

If you have any questions; please ask me. I praise Jesus' Holy Name. Amen!

C.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 19 May 2024 8:07 pm    

That's quite the guitar and tuning!

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2024 12:20 pm    

The 3 rows of holes in the bottom of the end plate. In the bottom row, Looks like adjustment screws for Lower Return Springs.
Is it possible to move the screws up for more precise adjusting the travel and timing on the Lower Return Springs?
Very interesting additional adjustment.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2024 2:17 pm    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
The 3 rows of holes in the bottom of the end plate. In the bottom row, Looks like adjustment screws for Lower Return Springs.
Is it possible to move the screws up for more precise adjusting the travel and timing on the Lower Return Springs?
Very interesting additional adjustment.

Yes Bobby, the screws at the bottom are for the springs. And for crazy; I have forgotten; what those 2 holes are for! Dadgumit...

Here's the way it goes, for the others: Each channel has 11 holes! 1. The 3 holes at the bottom; is for lowering. 2. The 5 holes are for raising. 3. The next higher has 2 holes; and for lowering. And the top 2 holes; are for raising. Now the reason: Mitsuo Fuji and I talked about; the pull rods, getting all out of line; especially with many changes And one rod and the others twisting them self, around the other! That's BAD Mad

Also, we wanted a movement; where all moves start; and stop at the same time! So, he invented this 11 hole channel. Praise Jesus blessing him; for those inventions. And one of the nicest person; you would have. For he tries to do it hard, whatever we want. Wow! So this PSG is one of the most engineered, ever. And these stars Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea are for Mitsuo! Amen!

C. Very Happy

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2024 1:32 pm    

The 3 holes in the actual end plate surface is what I was asking about.
Is there different holes for Lower Return spring, On the changer lower bar, For adjusting Lower Return travel and tension?
That would be handy for setting up like C to A lower on the guitar.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2024 2:41 pm    

Yes Bobby,

You can use any; of the 3 holes at the bottom. And you can use the 5 holes higher. And the higher 2 holes and the Top 2 holes higher. Making 11 holes for EACH channel. I love it myself. Now, the bottom 3 is only for lowering. The 5 holes is only for sharping. The higher 2 holes are only for Lowering. And the top 2 holes are only for sharping. Thanks for the question Brethren.

C.