The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sarno SMS Classic Preamp
Jeremy Moyers

Lubbock, TX
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 1:01 pm    

I recently bought a bunch of equipment off of a gentleman that was retiring, and in that bunch was a Sarno SMS Classic Preamp.

Fast forward to last night I was playing on a session for my buddy Will Banister, so I decided to try out a few different preamps that I hadn't used much before. The SMS Classic was in that bunch and I've got to tell you that it absolutely blew me away! I ran it through my old MossValve 500 power amplifier into a single 12 cabinet loaded with a black widow, and man it sounded absolutely incredible! One of the best recording tones I have ever had.

If you haven't checked out the SMS Classic, then you definitely should. Its pretty dang incredible!

Jeremy

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 1:14 pm    

After all these years and a ton of amps I have to say my SMS Classic preamp is one of the few keepers I have.

Brad Sarno is a Forum member and he might chime in on this thread but I think he once told me that the SMS Classic is designed to emulate the old Fender blackface Twin’s preamp. Only difference is that much more sturdy components are used in the Classic.

Last edited by Eric Philippsen on 24 May 2024 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 3:01 pm    

I've been thru a bunch of preamps and the Classic is still my favorite.

Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 3:54 am     Classic

I purchased a Classic preamp when Brad first started making them. I've owned it all of these years and its just a great sounding, simple preamp to use. I know that Brad tried to keep them very simple without the effect loop or anything that might change the tone.

If I take a rack unit out, its usually the Classic as its light weight and easy to use. I normally use a TT 15 mounted in a 15" Furlong powered cabinet as the power section. I'm getting past the point of dragging JBL's around and the TT 15" running at 500 watts does a decent job.

MY very simple to use setup. This will show an example of the Classic preamp for those not familiar with them.

Ray D

Last edited by Ray DeVoe on 16 May 2024 6:10 am; edited 4 times in total

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 5:31 am     vo

Wow, so nice to hear all this on the SMS Classic from everyone. Thanks for posting Jeremy!

I'm still making the SMS Classic. For those that don't know exactly what it is, the SMS Classic is derived from a good old Fender Twin type preamp, runs at healthy voltages and uses a digital reverb instead of a real spring. It's got a nice quiet power supply and a clean DC heater power supply too keep things nice and quiet and clear. The signal path uses very high grade components at each turn very specifically chosen for clean pedal steel tones, clarity without harshness, sweet treble, 3d midrange, etc. I hand build every preamp myself.

The EQ voicing, the "tone stack", is a very slight variant of the Fender Twin values and were mostly derived from our Revelation preamp which was tweaked in its early years from working with Buddy Emmons and John Hughey, getting the bass and mids just right. But it's so close to a stock '60s Fender, the difference isn't much.

I'm still here making them and servicing them should they ever need help.

Enjoy!!!
Brad

www.sarnomusicsolutions.com

David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 5:43 am     Simply the best...

Having owned a Classic and now a Revelation...nothing else needs saying other than they are Simply the Best ...thank you Brad...[/img]

Jeremy Moyers

Lubbock, TX
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 6:32 am    

I'll also follow up to Brad's post by adding that the reverb in the unit is a great sounding verb. All I used in the session was a bit of the onboard verb, and it was killer. Very very usable reverb. This little preamp is a winner yall.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 10:49 am    

I have owned a few preamps. The SMS Classic is the only one I still have.

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 7:35 pm    

I have a Revelation, V8 and SMS they each sound different but all are amazing. SMS sound the best with IEMs. Brad makes the best gear!

Joe Shelby

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2024 3:39 pm     what tube power amps...

Go best with the SMS Classic?
I'm thinking about getting an SMS Classic and wonder what power amps work best with it.
Thanks in advance for responding

Joe

Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 19 May 2024 6:49 am     Classic

Joe,

I will try and answer your question. Almost any power amp will work with the Classic preamp. It really depends on how big of a setup you are trying to put together. The Classic is "mono" output so you would be wasting the second half of a larger - dual input power amp unless you were to split the signal.

I used my Classic preamp when I played yesterday, and it sounded super good. One nice way to go is to use a powered speaker cabinet. Here is what I used with the Classic for a power section yesterday.

These were made by T C Furlong. They had 12" speakers and put out 300 watts. Thats just one way to go. I'm sure others will add their thoughts as well.
I have 3 Furlong 12" powered speakers. I may sell one as I'm only playing very lightly now due to health and age.

Good luck with your search.
Ray D

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2024 1:26 pm    

Another vote for the SMS/Furlong combo. I used that for several years with a vintage MPX-1 with Buddy Castleberry presets. About 4 years ago I went another direction but have been thinking about getting the SMS/Furlong out again.

Jeremy Moyers

Lubbock, TX
Post  Posted 23 May 2024 9:14 am    

I used the SMS Classic with my old MosValve 500 and it was killer. I have several smaller class D amps that are a lot lighter, but man they sure do not sound as punchy or as clear as the old heavy transformers in the MosValve. Power amps make a huge difference in the tone of a rig in my opinion, and the MosValve is hard to beat... There is a reason that Paul F, Mike Johnson, Steve Hinson (who I bought my MosValve from), and countless other studio pros have used them for years.

Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 23 May 2024 4:04 pm     Mosvalve 500

I agree with you Jeremy.

The Mosvalve 500 was top shelf back in the day. The two main down falls were the scratchy pots and weight. I think they weighed around 25 pounds before being mounted in anything. It was the big iron transformers and mosfet components that gave it that incredible sound.

I played around the general Nashville area for around 12 years before accepting a transfer to Florida. I was young enough to drag a rack around consisting of a Revelation preamp, Lexicon MPX 1 and Mosvalve 500. I teamed that up with a pair of 15" cabinets loaded with Jbl K 130 speakers. I received many compliments on the sound of that rig. I still have everything but the Mosvalve 500. I would not attempt to move that kind of weight around now.

Ray D

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2024 4:58 pm    

Jeremy Moyers wrote:
There is a reason that Paul F, Mike Johnson, Steve Hinson (who I bought my MosValve from), and countless other studio pros have used them for years.

That’s true for the studio I believe but Mike and Steve use Peavey for live gigs. Smile

Jeremy Moyers

Lubbock, TX
Post  Posted 24 May 2024 5:39 am    

Yes sir! I use a Nashville 112 live and I love it! However, when using a separate preamp and power amp I just can’t bond with Class D amplifiers…

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2024 6:41 am    

I still get a lot of miles out of my Sarno Tonic. Just give me what I like on steel and bass. Mr Sarno makes great stuff

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2024 12:58 pm    

I've got the Sarno Tonic preamp. Cannot imagine getting a better sound.

Hey Brad, do you still own that ZB pedal steel I sold to you years ago?

Thanks

Lee Rider

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2024 8:28 pm    

Lee Rider wrote:
I've got the Sarno Tonic preamp. Cannot imagine getting a better sound.

Hey Brad, do you still own that ZB pedal steel I sold to you years ago?

Thanks

Lee Rider

Oh yeah! It's a keeper for life.

Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2024 9:56 pm    

Nice to see the old gal again!

Thanks for sending.

Best

Lee Rider