The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Resources to take the next step
Jack Cook

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2024 12:12 pm    

I’m 20 years old, been playing steel for 9 months now, played a few gigs in bands around Dallas. But I’m looking to really improve to a professional level and eventually move to pedal steel. Should I invest in lessons or are there online resources/books that’ll get me to an advanced level. Thanks in advance

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2024 7:23 am    

There are loads of online resources that will help you up your game, but if there isn’t a major financial barrier, I think that one to one lessons with the right teacher will always be the best option.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2024 1:39 pm    

I agree with Allan.

I initially learned from pre-recorded video lessons and thought I was doing well. Then I went to my first in-person workshop (a group class) and all of my bad habits were pointed out. The recorded lessons left me with bad blocking and muting, and I never fully understood glissando.

Zoom lesson aren't bad, but face to face are best, I think, because the teacher can see you in 3D.

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2024 2:14 pm    

I think if it is pedal steel that you want to play, do what you can do to try and get your hands on one.
There are so many amazing pedal steel resources, tabs, videos, books, etc and there are many people that are playing them at a very high level to learn from.

One thing that would be worthwhile is learning how to play with a volume pedal, if you haven’t done so already.
Good, but not necessary for non-pedal steel, but very important for pedal styles.

I don’t know where you are at in Texas but there quite possibly are some good players around.

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2024 6:16 pm    

You'll never be able to beat one on one with a competent instructor, but if that isn't a possibility, Paul Franklin courses from Modern Music Masters is second to none, these days...even for us old guys that have been playing and gigging for years. There is always something to learn!

Tom

Larry Hobson

Valley Grande (Selma) Al USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2024 11:43 am     Next level

Jack, Regardless of what you decide to pursue, please please please learn to understand and use the number system if you don't already. Invaluable as it applies to chord progression and chord structure. If an instructor doesn't encourage it's use, pack up and move on. Just saying.

Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2024 7:18 am    

If you want to move into pedal steel, Travis Toy has an outstanding online course “Travis Toy Tutorials.” It goes from very basics to well advanced. The subscription is $30 a month - basically, a buck a day - and you don’t have to commit to more than a month at a time.