The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pete Finney on Opry with Patty Loveless
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2024 10:57 am    

One of my favorites, Patty Loveless, was featured on the Opry TV show April 14. Forumite Pete Finney was playing steel in her band as he did for many years. Pete sounded great on his GFI pedal steel and got a lot of good camera time. Everything they did was a faithful recreation of the hit versions of the songs.

They did several of Patty's greatest hits and if she has lost any of her ability I sure couldn't tell it. She was energetic and engaging and still looking great.

Vince Gill was the opening performer on the broadcast I saw. He did a few of his hits including Look At Us with Tommy White on pedal steel. Tommy put bits of his own interpretation on the classic steel rides and of course sounded fantastic.

I hoped we could hear a couple of Vince and Patty numbers but if they did any it was not included in the broadcast I saw. [/img]

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2024 3:51 am    

Two of my favorite singers. Too bad I missed that show. I will have to see if it's available in another broadcast. Love to see Tommy's take on Vince Gills mega hit.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2024 5:43 am    

I was very curious to hear so since ya'll didn't; I found the video of that huge night>
https://www.youtube.com/live/Fq6zHg9sCSM?si=4bDvaoVmtftSiXjC
Tommy and Pete sound WONDERFUL.
Ricky

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2024 7:24 am    

Thanks, Ricky, that’s the best hour I’ve spent today.

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2024 10:03 am    

Wow... I had no idea anybody had broadcast that. Patty's been mostly laying low for years but I had still kept playing her very occasional gigs, other than her rare Opry gigs where she usually uses a lot of the staff band.

That's from a few months ago. We'd had a few reunions of old band members when Patty was inducted into the Hall of Fame last year, and this show was a mixture of folks from different eras of her touring years (plus the great Randy Hart from the staff band on piano). We'd never all played together and other than a few minutes in the dressing room didn't rehearse (it shows in a few places!). I was a bit nervous I'll admit....

Patty and Vince, two of the greatest ever, IMHO; The two bands toured together for several years, and it was a magical time. Anyway, thanks for posting!

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 9:15 am    

Thank you Ricky for posting this. It was so very nice to be able to hear great vocalist with musicians playing with taste. The way Country music should be played. IMO

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 7:57 pm    

Excellent playing by Tommy and Pete.

RC