The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  so,, broke a string...
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 1:31 pm    

Big deal right??... However, the strings were put on this particular steel guitar in about 2012-2013... They have been on this old marlen 10 years or more, and this is the FIRST string it has ever broken.. Played lots of gigs, and been playing it daily since I got it in I dunno, 2011 or so always with the same strings on it, still has the set on that I put on when it was first set up by me, probably 11 or 12 years ago...... It didn't even break the 3rd, it broke the 4th string E... I have NEVER had any pedal steel guitar that was so easy on strings as this old P/R Marlen.. I have no idea why it doesn't break strings, it just doesn't... Geez, now I have to replace the set, and they were only just getting broken in... Mr Stadtler made really nice steel guitar back in the day.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 3:13 pm    

Might be worth your while to check in with the people who publish the Guinness Book of Records.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 4:53 pm    

Bob, they don't make em like they used to. That's pretty incredible. I have a couple archtop guitars that have some expensive flat wound strings for several years but my pedal steels haven't gone that long.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 9:27 pm    

I think I left strings on one of my guitars about a year, one time. That was when I was playing regularly…very regularly. At that time, I was playing 5 nights a week (five 40 minute sets, plus one day of practice), along with a couple of day-gigs. I remember because the strings finally developed flat spots on top between the 3rd and 12th frets. They still sounded decent, but not great, because I used to wipe them off several times every set with a rag which had been sprayed with WD-40. That made the strings last and last, but the scent didn’t go over very well with the ladies. Laughing

If I wasn’t using the guitar regularly, I don’t know how long they’d last. But I wouldn’t hesitate to do a gig with strings that hadn’t been played for a few years. I’ve done that on a few occasions because I have several guitars that I seldom use.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2024 6:07 am    

Yeah these strings are pretty used up , but the steel sounds great, nice and bright, even has pretty decent sustain considering how ancient the strings are. They haven't been changed because I stopped playing live gigs around 2014 or so, and really that was just no need.. The guitar was fine for me noddling around on it at home, and it became a "Lets see how long this goes on" type of thing...the 3rd string is black with age, and is still there, and functional... I find that amazing.. I have had many many steels and never had an .011 3rd last even 3 months on any one of them without breaking.. An .011 3rd lasting 11 or 12 years on an e9 pedal steel thats played daily?.. pretty wild... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2024 6:21 am    

Dang Bob. I think I would contact the string company for a refund. Laughing

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2024 6:21 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
...They still sounded decent, but not great, because I used to wipe them off several times every set with a rag which had been sprayed with WD-40. That made the strings last and last, but the scent didn’t go over very well with the ladies. Laughing

A lady who likes steel guitar and is attracted to the smell of WD40 is a keeper Very Happy

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2024 9:25 am    

Who knows why one steel guitar breaks fewer strings than another one? I've experienced a wide range of breakage.

I'm playing a D10 Carter that my buddy bought for us in 2018 as I recall, and it still hasn't broken any strings. I did change the 4th string E from a .014 to an .015 but that's it.

MOF, I've had to Happich and Blitz Cloth especially the plain strings, mostly on the C neck, several times for being so grungy.

Now, I don't play as much as I used to so I'm sure that adds to the longevity.

I used to maintenance strings about every 6 mos. or so, but I've gotten lazy lately...long as they sound OK and stay in tune, just let 'em sit on there.