The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amplifier Spring Reverb
Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2024 7:59 am    

I have used various reverb pedals for years and haven't been using the spring reverb on any of my amps.

I have been working on a Peavey 50 watt Valveking amp with the thought of using it out since it is so compact and relatively light weight. I changed tubes and speaker and put a three spring reverb in it. It sound pretty good and I was surprised at how much I liked the amp reverb.

That prompted me to try out my other amps with just the amp reverb and I can't believe I have not been using them. I guess I got so caught up in pedals (and I have many), like a dummy I have been missing the great sound I had right in my amp. Simplicity works.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2024 9:08 am    

I use some stomp boxes but always use the amp reverb.
Erv

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2024 10:16 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I use some stomp boxes but always use the amp reverb.
Erv

Erv, I used to also. I guess I just eased away and forgot what I had.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2024 2:46 pm    

The originall Accutronics spring tanks in my old Fender and Randall amps have all been sublime, but I always carry an RV3 in the seat as a gig backup. When I refurbished my Webb I bought up several new and used tanks of appropriate specs and auditioned them all, finally settling on a sweet type 4 from an old Peavey PA head. The Webb's original tank came out second in the shoot-out so sits on the shelf awaiting the inevitable emergency. Unfortunately none of the newer ones can compare IMHO.

Last edited by Dave Grafe on 8 Apr 2024 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2024 3:50 pm    

There's nothing like spring reverb!

I run all my synthesizers through one of these for spring verb.
https://www.modelectronics.com/product/wave
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2024 3:47 am    

John Larson wrote:
There's nothing like spring reverb!

I run all my synthesizers through one of these for spring verb.
https://www.modelectronics.com/product/wave

Well that's interesting. What's the cost of that thing?

For what it's worth, I used MOD reverb tanks to upgrade both of my Peavey amps. I can hear an improvement over the original Accutronics tanks.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2024 4:24 am    

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/effects-kit-mod-electronics-wave-spring-reverb
Looks like the kits run $360. They are pretty labor intensive to put together as well. Took me a couple days of several hours sessions.

There is this from Behringer as well now for a more budget solution.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BehrSpring636--behringer-spring-reverberation-636-spring-reverb-module
$199
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2024 6:53 am    

John Larson wrote:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BehrSpring636--behringer-spring-reverberation-636-spring-reverb-module
$199

I play Fender tweed amp clones and want to get the new Behringer unit. I talked to Sweetwater and the first two shipments have already sold out. The third won't arrive until June-July.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2024 7:06 am    

Tim Whitlock wrote:
John Larson wrote:

$199

I play Fender tweed amp clones and want to get the new Behringer unit. I talked to Sweetwater and the first two shipments have already sold out. The third won't arrive until June-July.

Pretty par for the course for new Behringer synths and effects these days, I think I waited like a year for their take on the old Mutron BiPhase to be in stock. I'd imagine the modular synthesizer aficionados has scooped up a bunch of those spring units since they are Eurorack compatible.