The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  B Pedal G#'s Raising at different times
Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 9:10 am    

I've been fixing up my old Sho~Bud and getting some great results with it. After years of things not working as they should I'm really enjoying it.

The last problem I'm facing Is both B pedal raises hit the changer at slightly different times. The 3rd G# hits first followed by the 6th string G# giving me a kind of half step feel in both strings.

I'm guessing it could be where the rod is on the bell crack or In the changer? but I'm hoping someone could tell me to speed the process up a bit as I want to use it for a session this week.

I seem to have been lucky with everything else as I've had all the other rods out and they work fine. Underneath the bell cranks and rods have been replaced so its a more modern 5 hole bell crank situation into a shobud changer.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 9:34 am    

It sounds like the guitar may have been set up for a plain 6th string and now has a 6th wound string. That would explain the 6th string pulling slower than 3rd string.

Changing from wound to plain or plain to wound on the 6th string can cause all kinds of tuning problems.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 9:46 am    

Per Bobby's comment, wound strings have a narrower core so they naturally require a longer pull than a plain string of the same gauge. The small diameter 3rd string is always a much longer pull than the 6th with a plain string. If changing to a wound string on 6 doesn't do it, you'll need to alter the leverage to lengthen the pull on the 6th string, or shorten the pull on the 3rd, or both.

If your Bud is a later model with the 5 hole bell cranks and 3 raise changer you have more flexibility to alter the leverage and better align the timing between 3 and 6. In general, to increase the length of any given pull relative to the pedal (or to another string) you would move the pull rod in the bell crank to a hole closer to the axle, or relocate that pull rod in the changer to a hole further from the changer axle; vice versa to shorten the pull on string 3. If you do shorten the pull on 3 you will likely need to adjust the pedal stop too, so it's easiest to first try and balance it by adjusting 6 alone.

There's no way to offer any more specific advice without knowing more about how it's setup currently (pics always help)

Mike McBride

Indiana
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2024 12:18 am    

I'm having a similar problem and will be monitoring thread.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 8:01 am    

If you are going from a plain to a wound try moving the pull rod down towards the floor one notch on the puller. You might have to go two but start with one notch. Going from wound to plain? Go the opposite way.