The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Book on setup?
Russ Swanson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2024 6:06 am    

I recall several mentioning a book they recommended for setting up a pedal steel. But alas now I can locate the post.

What book do y’all recommend?

Thanks
Russ
Naperville IL
1960s Fender S10 3x3
2019 Duesenberg

Patrick Timmins

Seattle
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2024 10:35 am    

This is the only one that I know of.

A few customers have given me copies at my shop here in Seattle. I also ordered a set to see what was on the included DVDs. From memory, the DVDs covered mostly push pulls.

They are sold through Ebay: Methodology and Practice in Pedal Steel Guitar. Written and sold by Clem Schmitz who used to own the Steel Guitar Emporium. I have never met him in person, but he has a good reputation.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274497649883

The first half of the book is mostly text and goes over general principals of operation and some fixes for common problems. The second half covers Push Pulls and has lots of images, but they are a bit grainy as the book appears to be printed from a black and white copier. The Book (booklet) is 24 pages with a few other pages of resources thrown in.

I don't agree with everything in the book, but none of it is inherently wrong, we just do things differently. If you don't have a local tech and you are looking to start performing your own repairs and setups, this book would likely help and gives the reader guidance on what to look for concerning common issues with these wonderful instruments.

Hope that helps.

Russ Swanson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2024 1:53 pm    

Thanks Patrick. I’ve picked up a complete and functioning Fender. Just trying to understand the mechanics and how to get it dialed in. I appreciate the info and link.

Patrick Timmins wrote:
This is the only one that I know of.

A few customers have given me copies at my shop here in Seattle. I also ordered a set to see what was on the included DVDs. From memory, the DVDs covered mostly push pulls.

They are sold through Ebay: Methodology and Practice in Pedal Steel Guitar. Written and sold by Clem Schmitz who used to own the Steel Guitar Emporium. I have never met him in person, but he has a good reputation.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274497649883

The first half of the book is mostly text and goes over general principals of operation and some fixes for common problems. The second half covers Push Pulls and has lots of images, but they are a bit grainy as the book appears to be printed from a black and white copier. The Book (booklet) is 24 pages with a few other pages of resources thrown in.

I don't agree with everything in the book, but none of it is inherently wrong, we just do things differently. If you don't have a local tech and you are looking to start performing your own repairs and setups, this book would likely help and gives the reader guidance on what to look for concerning common issues with these wonderful instruments.

Hope that helps.

1960s Fender S10 3x3
2019 Duesenberg

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2024 7:37 pm    

Mickey Adams has a video on setting up lowers and raises and timing pulls on steel guitar, That has a lot of information.