The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Itch That You Just Can't Scratch...
GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 12:02 pm    

This is not another "what's your favorite steel guitar solo" topic, rather: Is there an elusive steel solo that you've been trying to decipher for a long time?

Mike Selecky

BrookPark, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 12:44 pm    

Well, I've figured this one out, but can only play it at best, 70% of the 196 BPM tempo

https://youtu.be/P6zww9sFTIk?si=AiD3KT7Fq85qJZFW&t=37

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 3:53 pm    

Yes: some of Gary Carter's more esoteric moments on E9; the start to his 'Cold, Cold Heart', some spots in 'The Lighthouse Tale' and more.

Gray's recordings are like a music lesson, but with the complexities of pedal steel added to the equation.

His 'Shenandoah', while it's decipherable, is an object lesson in touch and tone.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 5:22 pm    

Buddy's solo on Gentle On My Mind from John Hartford's All In The Name Of Love album on Flying Fish circa 1977. Best version ever with stellar performances all around courtesy of Nashville's A-Team.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 6:01 am     Tricky intro, for me, anyway.

Yeah, I've got this one earworm that's puzzled me for 60 years. I'd guess this really should be in the "Stories" section, but it fits this topic, so here goes.

First, a little background. The singer, Wally Horton, was a real character; a wannabee singer and part-time DJ who also owned a tiny gas station in Glen Burnie, on the outskirts of Baltimore back in the 1960's. (I'd guess that only having two pumps would classify as "tiny" in most peoples' minds.) Anyhow, this was a rather unique gas outlet, in that he also sold beer (97 cents a 6-pack) and country music records. It was a real rarity for gas stations to sell beer back then, much less country 45's, and that's where I bought this obscure record, one which received moderate airplay on the two local country radio stations, WISZ and WBMD.

I don't know who the steel player was, though he was obviously talented. His intro wasn't terribly hard, just really confusing for me, timing-wise. I found it almost impossible to play back then, and still do for the most part. Anyway, here it is, in all it's confusive beauty: Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ40r0Rz8QQ

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 7:18 am    

I dunno Donny, to me, it sounds like the player flubbed the beginning of the intro and then kinda recovered. They deemed it "goodnuff" and called it a take. Just MHO. One of the reasons I say this is that the "theme" in the very beginning of the intro (that fast hopping "oops" lick) doesn't show up again anywhere else in the fills or in the solo. Just a thought.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 7:58 am    

I'm inclined to agree. I rather doubt that the player could have replicated this exactly if he'd had to. It sounds like he misses the A pedal at the first attempt (his foot slipped?) but gets it immediately afterwards.

It's a 'stock lick' that goes slightly awry.

Everyone seems to recover and somehow they all meet at the same spot for the vocal.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 8:02 am    

On another subject:

'I'll Come Running" (Weldon).

I've seen two different tabbed out versions of this, but neither sound quite right to my ear. They reproduce the correct rhythmic pattern but the odd note sounds wrong to me.

NOT that I'll be pulling it off 'at tempo' anytime soon Smile, but I'm intrigued as to how Mr Myrick played it.

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 12:21 pm    

Yep! There is certiainly A LOT of playing going on there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIcgsGQYWzw&ab_channel=DavidMccluskey

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 4:48 pm     Observations...

Let me tell you, I've heard a LOT of players try to play "I'll Come Runnin'" like Weldon did on that record, but nobody really nailed it. (I think the closest attempt I ever heard was done by Lloyd Green.) I also heard Weldon play it at the ISGC about 10 years after he recorded it, and even he couldn't duplicate his earlier recorded performance. That's some mind-blowing licks to crank out at that speed, and it really was a phenomenal recorded performance. I also remember hearing somewhere that Connie wrote that song after listening to Weldon playing those licks as a "warming up" exercise. Whoa!

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 5:22 pm    

Donny

What Connie Smith uses to audition steel players....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DU1ChDU0A

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 5:25 pm    

And let's not forget that Russ Hicks was Connie's road steeler for a while.

Plus neat little story about Weldon's initial cut of the kick off -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEEijBqSLQ0

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 9:12 pm    

I've been listening to Sonny Garrish's steel solo on "She's Got It All" by Kenny Chesney, and I can't really tell how he plays all those awesome parts in the solo-that solo is awesome, and it amazes me how fast Sonny plays it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 9:31 pm     Re: Observations...

Donny Hinson wrote:
Let me tell you, I've heard a LOT of players try to play "I'll Come Runnin'" like Weldon did on that record, but nobody really nailed it. (I think the closest attempt I ever heard was done by Lloyd Green.) I also heard Weldon play it at the ISGC about 10 years after he recorded it, and even he couldn't duplicate his earlier recorded performance. That's some mind-blowing licks to crank out at that speed, and it really was a phenomenal recorded performance. I also remember hearing somewhere that Connie wrote that song after listening to Weldon playing those licks as a "warming up" exercise. Whoa!

I think that's maybe one of those things that was only meant to happen one time. That Nashville magic of the 60's and 70's.

RC

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 10:08 pm    

I couldn't find the specific YouTube clip of the Operation Russless performance at Scotty's Convention where Randy Beavers performed I'll Come Runnin' with Laney Hicks.

Randy nailed it.....perhaps someone can 'cut that clip' from their DVD

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2024 5:28 am    

It's interesting to me that both Gary Carter and Russ Hicks - two of the very best - both play it slightly differently.

Thanks for posting those links, guys. I'm fairly sure that I would failed Connie's audition!! Smile

Franklin

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2024 3:47 pm    

Here's the original solo played by Weldon Myrick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTbyoTGDweU

This is exceptionally great execution...Enjoy!

Paul

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2024 5:00 am    

Thank you, Paul; that is truly remarkable, isn't it?

It's tricky following three descending lines, even slowed down courtesy of YouTube. I have yet to see it transcribed exactly like Weldon plays it here.

Meat-and-potatoes to you, of course, but playing it that cleanly with such perfect blocking and immediately after the red light went on!

Sad

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 6:56 pm     An itch...

For me it's been a problem trying to figure out a the mechanics of much J.D. Maness' stuff, (even when he explains it!)

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 10:49 pm    

John Hughey did an instrumental version of I'll Come Running on the "On and Off Stage" album. Not copying Weldon, but the same break-neck speed, and even better, to my ears. That song should be called "I'll Come Stunning"...

But those licks that suddenly materialize from out of nowhere happen to us all once in a while. I did a home recording many years ago and there it was – a really great fast lick that I have never been able to repeat, and never will. I have absolutely no idea what I did, or how I did it. Probably just a bad mistake that happened to work.

I'm sure that AI will be able to dissect steel licks and produce correct tab for even the most intricate and polyphonic stuff in the near future. We'll just have to wait and see.

Dan Behringer

Jerseyville, Illinois
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 6:22 am    

Back on the “I’ll come Running”…. I once saw a video of Wayne Hobbs backing Connie Smith on that song and he absolutely nailed it to the ground and stomped on it. It was truly amazing to watch his right hand blurring in that video.