The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Building a seat: Leg straps and adjustable feet?
Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 4:26 am    

Hey all,

I decided to build myself a seat as apparently I don't have enough projects on the go with Steels and Classic Cars.

So far I've built a box similar to dimensions I've seen on the forum and close to a friends seat so, looking pretty good there. I'm just building a simple seat with no side compartments although I may ad UK power to the side or back like the USA seats I've seen.

My next hurdle is to fasten the legs (which I've not made to length yet) to the "box" and make a locking mechanism.

The plan is to make a conventional U shape leg with the supporting rod that locks in the middle. My main problem at the moment is the steel conduit straps I found would let the legs fold beyond 90 degrees towards the outside of the box due to the screw on the strap.

Do most seats use the recessed edge as a stopper underneath? or does all the leg rigidity come from the central lock?
I just want to make sure there is no flex in the legs as the drum stool I currently use is bad for that.

I did notice this seat on the forum has a similar design to what I'm making with the current conduit straps.

The plan for the central lock I think would be to cut two grooves in something like this with a central bolt/wheel to lock it down.

Lastly I've noticed a few people have adjustable feet on their stools. Is there a place online to get these from? I think the leg tubing I'm using is about 22mm but I need to check.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 5:00 am    

I put some adjustable feet on my pak-a-seat years ago, but I can't remember where I got them. Probably an online fastener company. I found inserts and feet on an Amazon search that will probably work.

Search for adjustable furniture leverlers.

Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 5:15 am    

Thanks for this Richard. Just had a quick look for something similar I can get over here.

Found these which should be a tight fit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flyshop-M8-Adjustable-Furniture-25mm/dp/B07ZVN59B8/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1X4KY98HADLVR&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.bK9g1tEe9J--CDlx0OcMcBQgNnsJ30phqyuyHjhuAf5STBrRG3KjkpgBcI4oRav7U5yc8iUs4UZP0PB-FHBXT0bGHERXfAmBAeufAvkWwZK0qYYsXoqHyOod0dAEhZMaeInfD04taa6e9_PRhwb5M56I_QD6zMqYvDPZ8OPr8DlF3z8WmcbEmcK10AK57t05PsOyHXPXFr0hTweOYwt_OhQWZ70gw0bOCRqmDbVjmKw4fFeTCcvR5mbhLEWyJgzavrpmKA8PobqooV_RhntBLfYoy_H6dZ55MjQL6IJV1p0.Q2TDqtZdjZBwxRXmsaDDOc5-A2dg5PydojbLpNsRROM&dib_tag=se&keywords=adjustable%2Bfeet%2B%26%2Btube%2Binsert%2B18mm&qid=1711025333&sprefix=adjustable%2Bfeet%2B%26%2Btube%2Binsert%2B18mm%2Caps%2C64&sr=8-7&th=1

The legs I'm building are 19mm at the curved end and i'm going to add 17/18mm leg extensions to make them long enough.
[/url]

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 5:57 am     Johnnie King has all you need

Johnnie King who is a forum member had all you need to do that a while ago.
I bought the set of folding legs from him back then. but have yet to build the seat.
Can't remember what the price was, but it was very reasonable.

The folding legs are 3/4" shorter on one side and mounted on a strip of 3/4" wood so that they will fold flat when closed.
I did write down that the box seat is about 18" X 14" and the top of the padded seat should be about 20" to 22" from the floor depending on your height.

Hope that is a help to you?
BTW, I was born in Oldham.
Good luck,
Andy

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.