The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap Steel case for a prewar Rickenbacher B6
Kyle Youngblood

Delaware, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 8:34 am    

Hello,

I’m looking for a new case or a slightly used case for my prewar 1937 Rickenbacher B6 lap steel.(Panda)
I searched the internet and googled it but did not find a definitive answer. I see a lot of maybes or you have to modify a new
case to hold/fit the steel guitar. I don’t really want to do or mess with a lot of arts and crafts. Seems like the individuals who used to make these types
of cases have retired or no longer offer that service in their businesses. As an alternative I also read that Gold-Tone makes a case that may work for a B6 panda and a Viola case may also be used? Does anyone have a definitive answer or had a similar dilemma before?

Thanks,

Kyle Youngblood

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 4:17 pm    

I don't have a case for you, but I've had a similar situation. The only lap steel cases being made today, at least that I'm aware of, are the Goldtone case and the Morrell case. I have a Morrell case I got for an old Silvertone. Pretty sure your Ric would fit, as it has an open and generous interior. Although I don't ever take it out of the house, it seems adequate enough. Maybe a little flimsy on the top. It goes for $179. I also have a TKL dulcimer case for another steel that's long and narrow like a dulcimer. Seems ridiculous there are only two options, especially with so many old lap steels out there with no case, or a totally decrepit one. You might luck out and find a vintage one, but prices are ridiculous on those now, too.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 6:05 pm    

I have read in several forums that a baritone ukulele case fits the Rick shapes very well, however just a little modification is required.

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 6:56 pm    

This thread got me looking into cases, since I'm going to need another soon. I found a thread on this site about baritone use cases working for the B6. Also one about a viola case.

Kyle Youngblood

Delaware, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 8:08 pm    

We probably read the same email threads on this subject. I need to get something for the guitar. I just finished playing and it took me a good five tries to get the middle latch to lock. It’s the original case. It probably just needs to be put away for safe keeping’s before the handle falls off. These Bakelite steels are pretty hardy. I don’t think humidity would have too much impact on them. (If I’m wrong here, please correct me). I imagine the available soft cases will be enough for now until I can figure out where to get a legitimate case for it. It’s my first Bakelite and prewar B6, I’m really liking the power of the Horseshoe pickup and its tone. Just need to get some case armor for it.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 6:54 am    

Humidity won't affect a Bakelite guitar at all. But keep it out of the sun. My panda detuned itself by a full step at an outdoor show last summer.

Kyle Youngblood

Delaware, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 7:39 am    

That’s good to know about the humidity not affecting the Bakelite body. I guess I am going the soft case route as a few people suggested already.
Anyone else who may have an extra case or a different solution please let me know. Thanks.

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 9:01 pm    

I use a baritone uke hard shell case for mine. A screwdriver to remove the accessory compartment and the neck support and Bob's Your Uncle! I put a pad on top because the case is too deep… the only issue is that it doesn’t balance very well using the handle, but it isn’t horrible. It’s a little extra roomy, but you could add padding. Mine is a Phitz brand, but the Crossrock cases on Amazon are probably about the same.

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Kyle Youngblood

Delaware, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 8:12 am    

Looks nice! Last night I did this too a baritone cross rock case and unscrewed the storage compartment. Today I went to Michael’s (fabric store). And bought a bunch of 1” padding that I can cut, fold and glue in as needed. It should be an interesting project, my wife is really good at these
types of Arts and Crafts. I imagine it will provide pretty good protection when completed.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 8:40 am    

Jim Newberry wrote:
I use a baritone uke hard shell case for mine. A screwdriver to remove the accessory compartment and the neck support and Bob's Your Uncle! I put a pad on top because the case is too deep… the only issue is that it doesn’t balance very well using the handle, but it isn’t horrible. It’s a little extra roomy, but you could add padding. Mine is a Phitz brand, but the Crossrock cases on Amazon are probably about the same.

Nice case. Love the wahini!

Gary Mahalak

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 8:41 am    

Trying to snag a case for vintage stuff like a prewar Rickenbacher B6 lap steel is no joke. I've heard some folks mention Gold-Tone or viola cases might do the trick, but it's kind of a gamble.