The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  70s Lacquer Emmons P/P D10 Wood Necks Bolt-On Changer
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 7:50 am    

Please ask any questions via email or PM rather than post here. The guitar is with me at the house in Nashville (Gallatin) for the next day or two - if you're interested, email and/or PM me and we can get together. I am driving back to Pennsylvania, probably this Friday (3/22). If I don't sell it here in Nashville, it is going with me. In that case, if you're reasonably near the route back, we should be able to get together if you're interested. I normally go the Ohio route, so various places in KY, Ohio, and Western PA are possible. $3200 cash, firm, in-person. Again - please email or PM.

I got this guitar from Damir a few years ago. It is a strikingly beautiful finish, to my tastes, and it sounds good and plays well. There was discussion on that thread about this being one of Buddy Charleton's guitars - it was stated further that this guitar came from one of his students who got it after Buddy passed. That discussion is now gone from the thread, I have no additional provenance, and I'm not pricing this higher than I would any standard Emmons push-pull. But it was my understanding when I bought the guitar that it was indeed one of Buddy's guitars.

The guitar has some cosmetic imperfections, including a fairly typical hairline top crack at the end of the C6 changer to the right of that neck. I've tried to photograph some of this. If you are squeamish about lacquer chips and bar dings, this is not the guitar for you. Lacquer checking and sometimes chips are part of the lacquered finish experience. Any vintage guitar guys I know, including me, would scoff at the thought that this guitar is not "pretty clean". But it is not perfect.

The guitar has Legrande-style pedals, which I think are not uncommon on a late-70s push-pull. And of course, the wood necks with their standard-issue bolt-on changers. The tuners are the bean-style from the 60s or earlier 70s, not the later metal keystones.

8 pedals and 5 knee levers. E9 setup is pretty standard Emmons ABC with E raises/lowers on LKL/LKR. LKV is string 5 B=>Bb, RKL is string 6 G#=>F#, and RKR lowers 2. C6 setup is also pretty standard Emmons pedals 4-8, with A=>Bb on RKL and C=>B on RKR.

What I believe to be the original case is in good shape. Like the guitar, not perfect, but physically solid and quite good cosmetically, but not perfect.

This is something like the 8th Emmons push-pull I've owned. I concluded a couple of years ago that I'm just not a push-pull guy, but this guitar got stranded in Nashville and family illnesses prevented us from getting back down here. They sound great, most of them have played well - this one does - but the raise-overide-lower, lack of split tuning, and IMO, the higher learning curve to get solid at setups and repairs keeps on pushing me back to my all-pull guitars. Anyway - pictures - if you right-click 'Open in new tab', you should be able to expand the resolution significantly and really see the details.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 8:49 am    

Dave, I would like to purchase this steel, pm on the way.

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 9:34 am    

Mike - replied to your PM.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 10:45 am    

On a side note, I had one just like that that was stolen from the Gibson factory, in Nashville, in the early 90's.
Mine was old style pedals, though. From 1976.
Jimmy Crawford added a 9th pedal.
A beautiful sounding guitar.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 11:35 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
Mike - replied to your PM.

Thanks Dave,

I called and left a voicemail. Looks like it should work out as my voicemail indicates. I would consider this one sold. 👍

Mike D

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 12:00 pm    

I replied, Mike, thanks. I'll see you tomorrow afternoon/evening or Saturday morning. I'm marking this as sold. Please close. Oh, that's my job, LOL.

Yes, Chris - I think these are great sounding pedal steels. This was sold to me as circa 1977, so this may be a transition guitar with original LeGrande pedals.