The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Putting strings on a Maverick
David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 11:26 am    

Friends, when I first started out playing steel, I started on the ShoBud Maverick. That was nearly 50 years ago. Since that time I have worked and played for some of the biggest names in country music-And many other independent artists as well. But enough of that noise. I have just acquired a ShoBud Maverick lacquer body. A friend of mine gave it to me. It was unplayed for years and time and the elements did a number on it. The screws and movable have been oiled and cleaned up the pedal bar. I’ve also cleaned the body as well. But I have never had such a problem putting strings on a steel in my life. I can see the little tip where the ball of the string goes, but it is nearly an impossibility to get the string to stay put on the tip. Any serious suggestions beside getting rid of the Maverick lol. It’s just a little project for me.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 12:15 pm    

Most players stick a small rubber or wood wedge in the changer to hold the string ends in place while restringing.

Jeffery Mercer

Born in Portsmouth Oh. 12/10/1954
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 11:35 pm     I Feel Your Pain…

Greetings from Cleveland Ohio,
I too had one years ago as a newbie, I’ll know I’ll probably get some hate mail but Before you tell me where to go, Let me say I don’t care what you think!
Now…I had the Sho Bud Maverick and every thing about it was nothing but a problem, from trying to restring it, to the strings breaking when you used the pedals, it never would stay in tune, just a complete piece of guitar JUNK! I wouldn’t give one to my worst enemy! I’m talking about the darker brown version not the Maple one, and they still sell these guitars for as much as $1500! It’s unbelievable…UNfathomable!
Long story short, do yerself a big favor BURN IT! and start a pocket watch Collection!
LOL

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 1:26 am    

I've had success with the eraser method, but I can never find one when it's time to change strings. Instead, I make a tiny bend in the string, about half an inch from the ball end, before placing it on the changer finger pin. Works for me.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 5:10 am    

Here is an old discussion:

Click Here

~ Lee