The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning stability issue across the board
Jeremy Glasgow

Greensboro, North Carolina
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 12:32 pm    

Hi all,

The last few months I've had an incredibly difficult time keeping my Mullen Discovery in tune. I don't feel like I used to have this issue, but I can go through and tune the entire set of open strings and pedal/lever adjustments and still not have a decent sounding triad. I can go through a second time and still not have it.

I'm the first owner, and received the instrument directly from Mullen in January of 2023. Like I said, I don't feel like it's been this big of an issue in the past but I don't know what might have changed for this to be such a big issue. I change the strings every few months (D'addario NYXL 11/38s) and apply a dab of Universal Sewing Supply oil to the bridge every time.

Has it been the colder weather, or warmer now that we're getting into Spring? Is there an aspect of continued maintenance I'm missing? It's most noticeable when I'm practicing at home rather than with a band, but it's getting to the point where it's keeping me from practicing.

Also, the unwound 6th with this set almost never stays put. Does anyone else experience this?

I'd be grateful any insight someone may have. Thanks!

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 4:14 pm    

Are you using a sweetened tuning or going straight up on the meter?

Peterson has several available with some of their products specifically for E9 and C6 pedal steel, or you can do some searching and find Jeff Newman's scheme here on the forum. It both.

Good luck, this rabbit hole is deep!

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 4:57 pm    

What Dave said and….

Make sure you stretch your new strings out properly, or your tuning won’t stabalize/settle down for a good while.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 5:05 pm    

Check the screws attaching the endplates to the body and those attaching the changer and tuning head to the body. Wood screws work loose over time and can definitely cause tuning issues. Good luck.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 5:38 pm    

Your ears might be getting better so you are noticing more. I periodically fall into the same hole.

Unless you steel is just overtuned.

Last edited by Bob Hoffnar on 19 Mar 2024 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 5:47 pm    

You said it’s a new problem; have you put on new strings lately? If you constantly have to tune “up”, some strings may be slipping. (You should have 5 to 7 wraps around the tuning keys on the plain strings.)

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 6:38 pm    

I'm hoping you used the recommended gauges of strings from Mullen. 11-38 just sounds like a regular 6 string set?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 8:57 pm    

End plate to body screws, Changer and key head to body screws, Could be the problem. As Mr. Shafer already suggested. And Mr. Hinson's suggestion of enough wraps on shaft for good grip on shaft.

The Nut Rollers would be the next thing to check. Do the nut rollers roll freely, Are the roller's sides smooth? Are the sides of the roller slots smooth? Make sure the nut roller shaft is smooth and polished, And well lubed. (If you have to remove the nut rollers to work on them, Keep them in order and return to same slots.)

Are the strings in a straight line from changer finger to key key shaft?
If the strings are wound on the tuning keys, That is causing side pull on nut rollers, Can cause erratic raises, lowers and returning to open tuning.

Because the 6th string is 1 of the longest dead strings in the key head. A dragging nut roller can be the cause of the 6th string tuning problem.

For near 18 years, This MSA S10 with a 12 string key head, Was my teacher on problems and cures for nut rollers and strings side pulled at the nut rollers.

Good Luck finding and curing this problem, Happy Steelin.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 5:07 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
I'm hoping you used the recommended gauges of strings from Mullen. 11-38 just sounds like a regular 6 string set?

That is pretty standard 10 string E9 set.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 5:11 am    

Is your guitar "overtuned"? Read the following post just to make sure it's not.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=326460

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 8:32 am    

When my strings get old it seems much harder to keep the guitar in tune.

That's the only time I see this problem on most or all strings.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 2:49 pm    

That sounds discouraging.
Perhaps slowing down and just getting a couple few strings sounding good and gradually integrating a pedal or lever change here and there, you can isolate the issues more specifically...

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 11:10 pm    

What type of body does the guitar have?
If the guitar body is curly maple, Moisture change from Flagler CO to Greensboro SC may be the problem. As moisture content in wood goes up, Some high figured woods will get longer as well as thicker and wider.
Greensboro SC, average perc. is 43 inches, Flagler CO 17 to 20 inches annually.

Check the strings pulls by sets, Start with 3rd and 6th strings.
Tune the 3rd string G# Then tune B pedal A raise. Then go to 6th string tune to G# then tune B pedal A raise. Is 3rd string still in tune. Then go back and check tuning on 3rd string. Should still be in tune,

Go to 5th string, Tune B open, Then A pedal to C#. Then tune 10th string to B open, Then A pedal to C#. Then go back and check tuning on 5th string. Should still be in tune.
Then tune 4th & 8th string open, lower and raise.

If the strings do not tune up in pairs, Something in the body of the guitar has changed, And setup is not proper for the body in its present condition. Some stops may have to be changed to accomplish proper tuning.

Good Luck finding the problem and back Happy Steelin.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 1:48 am    

Curious, is the Discovery an ALL PULL System or a Pull Release system or similar ?

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 4:07 am    

It's a very well built all pull guitar.

Jeremy -- please do not feel insulted or demeaned -- I ask because I do not know you.

You say you got the guitar around 14 months ago. Is that how long you have been playing?

Here is my reason for asking -- you could be hearing things now that your ears weren't developed enough to hear before. Combine that with general obsessiveness and it could be that you are hyper-attuned. It's a blessing and a curse. There's a fine line between a well tuned guitar with some necessary compromises and an out of tune guitar. And when you've got it tweaked just right, put your hands on the strings and you are instantly drifting a hair.
And the reality, at home, may be different from the reality on the bandstand. One of my steels has some issues that drive me nuts in the solitude of my studio but once a gig starts, it sounds ok.

If there is anything to what I am saying, all I can say is welcome to the development curve of being a steel player.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 7:30 am     Your tuner doesn't know how it sounds

Well, if it sounds out of tune, just tune it so it sounds in tune! Tune one string with the tuner (preferably the high "E"), and use your ears for all the rest of your tuning. I can't tell you how many players use a tuner, and then say "It doesn't sound in tune?"

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 8:53 am    

We had a player on here with a similar problem a month or so ago with tuning instability after playing a short time.

Turns out the pedal bar was not mounted securely enough on the legs. It would move up and down slightly with pedal use and that played havoc with the tuning.

My theory: the weight of the pedal bar assembly being partially supported and suspended by the rods was pulling down a bit on those rods -- which mimicked the pedals being pushed a tad. Tuning the open strings while the pedals are slightly engaged like this means that as you play and use the pedals, the strings don't quite return to the same pitch.

This theory could easily be tested by removing the pedal rods: does the guitar now maintain pitch, at least the open tuning and knee levers?

As to your question about the unwound 6th not staying put, yes, I've experienced that. It's why I migrated to a wound string. Much easier to hit your target note when tuning up, it stays on pitch more consistently, and it responds less aggressively to cabinet drop as you play -- meaning several chord positions are easier to get in tune.

Jeremy Glasgow

Greensboro, North Carolina
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 2:31 pm    

Hi everyone,

Haven't totally solved the issue yet, but I reached out to Mullen and they recommend the GHS Nickel Boomers, starting at a 12. I've just ordered a set and wanted to let everyone know. I can give another update when I've put them on.

And to answer a few questions, I've been playing for coming up on 2 years. I had a 70s Maverick I bought on Craigslist for about half a year until the Mullen shipped to me. I tune using the harmonics method that Travis Toy demonstrates on his lesson site.

Thanks to all y'all for taking the time to reply and give advice! Y'all are an awesome community.