The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone remember a steel shop in L.A.?
D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 9:22 am    

I grew up in Los Angeles in the 70s/80s. In the mid/late-80s I bought my first pedal steel—a red BMI student model—at a small shop on 3rd St., just a bit east of La Cienega, if memory serves. I don’t remember if it was specifically a steel guitar shop, but my recollection is there being quite a few pedal steels and not much else…

I was just talking with someone about when I started playing pedal steel and it got me thinking about this place and the owner, whose name I can’t remember, and who was really nice and helpful as I was getting started and knew nothing about the instrument.

Just wondering if any of you steelers out there might remember the place and/or know who the owner was.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 12:01 pm    

Might have been Blackie Taylor Music…before my time though. I heard he moved the shop a few times until he passed a few years back. I visited the store in Riverside which was the last location.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 12:52 pm    

I sure don't remember a small shop like that on 3rd.
Just east of La Cienega on 3rd was the Record Plant Studios...on the south side of Third.

Before he moved to Riverside, Blackie's store was in Hawaiian Gardens.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 10:54 am    

I remember the store on 3rd near La Cienega, and I was friends with the owner. 'Twas on the north side of the street. But I can't remember his name. That neighborhood was my old stomping ground when I lived in LA, and I was back visiting my folks when I found his shop. Was in the 1980s.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Mike Fried

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 10:39 am    

I think you're referring to Geisler Music. I hung out there some in the early '80s and was social with the owner Jim Geisler. I lost touch with him some years ago; he was (is?) a big fan of pedal steel.

D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 12:52 pm    

Wow, over the many intervening years I have thought about that place and the owner and wracked my brain trying to remember his name or the shop name. As soon as I read your post, Mike, the bells went off. And Herb - same here. I grew up in Carthay and except for a couple years living in Venice lived in the general area in an around the Miracle Mile. As a teenager I used to get phone calls at Ship’s Coffee Shop at La Cienega & Olympic… no joke!