The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking For My First Steel
Kyle Van Koevering

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 9:13 am    

Hi everyone,

I've never played a PSG before but would really like to dive in. As far as I know, there aren't any opportunities for me to try any out in my area before purchasing. From everything I've read, I think I want my entry point to be a universal 12 string guitar. I doubt I will be able to decide on a copedent that I want to use before I actually gain some experience. I was hoping you all could help me answer a few questions I had before I take the plunge.

1. If I have a 12 string guitar with 7 pedals and 4/5 knees, can I set up the guitar for any copedent that doesn't require more pedals / knees than I have?
2. I've been looking at brands like Williams, Mullen, MSA, etc. Do any of them do Universal 12 string guitars better than the other brands? I see slight differences, like MSA including an extra pedal on their standard configuration. I'm just not sure how much things like that matter since I don't have any experience.
3. I would also like to buy a used guitar as my first. What are the main 'gotchas' a new player should check for when deciding on a used guitar?

Thank you all for your time and help,

Kyle

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 2:58 pm    

There's a steel guitar company called BMI, which stands for Beck Musical Instruments, and they make twelve string pedal steel guitars. A steel guitarist named "Cowboy" Eddie Long plays a BMI pedal steel guitar and his steel has twelve strings with universal tuning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Kyle Van Koevering

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 4:33 pm    

Brett, thanks for the response. I hadn’t heard of BMI or Eddie Long before. This gives me a lot more to look into. Thank you!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 5:07 pm    

Having been where you are a year or so ago, here is my take:

1. As b0b used to say: you are better off getting a standard 10 String E9th 3x4 as a minimum for the practical reason that there is a ton of learning material. For 12 string universal, slim to none.

2. Most likely, your first guitar will not be your last guitar. Since I started playing I've bought, sold, or kept a lot including 3 different 12 strings, a D12, a couple of D10's and an S10. 12 strings are harder to sell. a standard E9 10 string 3x4 or 3x5 will sell immediately probably for what you paid for it. So until you know really what you want, stick with the tried and true at least to start. I just started playing a S12 Universal Bb6 with Reece Anderson's copedence, which is different than the 12 String universal with Jeff Newman's changes

3. Buying new is really not an option because most of the manufacturers you mentioned have long wait times. Excel seems to be the shortest wait, but they are in Japan.

4. When buying used, buy brands with current builders since they can provide parts and work if need be. Williams, GFI, Mullen are all good choices. Try to buy as new as you can.

5. There is a physicality to it. It is almost like a custom suit. Are you tall? Short, fat, thin? all those are considerations when looking for the proper height. you may have to buy new rods and legs, like I had to, because I needed something shorter than standard.

6. Consider making a trip to a place like Billy Coopers where you can try a number of steels and see what fits your body well. There is maintenance and setup with a used guitar. Do you have a guitar tech nearby that can service the guitar and set it up?

7. It has been an incredible journey for me. Enjoy the trip.

Kyle Van Koevering

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 5:46 am    

Bill,

Thank you for your response, it's very helpful. I'll reconsider a 10 string E9th as my starting point. I hadn't heard of Billy Cooper's before and it seems like a great idea to go there in order to try various models out first.

Thanks again!

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 8:44 am    

What Bill said

S10 E9 with a 3+4 Emmons setup will give you more than enough to learn and gig with, and far more than many of us began with. Best to learn the basics of theory and practice, develop your hands and ears without the extra distractions of the more evolved setups so that when you do get to adding more you understand the reasons why.

In any case you came to the right place to find experienced counsel, welcome aboard!

Johnny DeRamus

Baytown, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 9:33 am     Justice ProLite

May be selling this real soon. Emmons set up, 3/4 $2500 plus shipping.

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 10:31 am    

You might read and study the dialog on this site for a good bit, plus research the steel sounds and players you prefer, and their gear. I learned a ton, and eventually learned the first U12 I bought was heavily worn, and needed a lot of work, including changer work. Evaluating a used steel guitar may not be intuitive. I sold it, bought a new S10 3/4 guitar from a reliable builder, still plays great 12 years later. All the new makers you mention are reliable, plus more mentioned on this site. My next guitar may be a used D10 and will come from a store or known quantity.