The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic

What is your favorite pickup & amp combination for a dirty sound?
High-powered tube amp, single coil-pickup, and a stomp box.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
High-powered tube amp, humbucking pickup, and a stomp box.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
High-powered solid-state amp, single-coil pickup, and a stomp box.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
High-powered solid-state amp, humbucking pickup, and a stomp box.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Low-powered tube amp, single-coil pickup, no auxilliary effects.
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
Low-powered tube amp, humbucking pickup, no auxilliary effects.
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Low-powered solid-state amp, single-coil pickup, no auxilliary effects.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Low-powered solid-state amp, humbucking pickup, no auxilliary effects.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (please explain below).
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author Topic:  Amplification question for 6-string non-pedal players...
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 9:14 am    

Lots of players like a totally clean tone, and lots of players favor a little bit (if not a whole lot of) edge (distortion, overdrive, grit, dirt, etc. -- whatever you wanna call it) in their playing. Many players desire the ability to do both.

What is your favorite method of achieving a "dirty" sound?

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 11:29 am    

Why was there no category:
Low powered tube amp, humbucker, stomp box ?

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 11:52 am    

I rarely play steel with a dirty tone. I prefer a sound more like classic electric Hawaiian guitar players.

So it doesn't matter if it's a tube, SS, or digital modeling amp - which is what I use most and was not an option on the poll - I set the amp for a clean tone and on the rare occasions I want that dirty tone, I use an OD pedal or channel switching.

BTW, I have tube, SS and modeling amps. Somehow I wind up making them sound pretty much alike.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 12:21 pm    

I usually use the same rig as my PSG. I use a clone of the Hermida Zendrive to get those Dumble-esque overdriven tones through my Nashville 112. It goes Guitar -> OD -> VP -> amp
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 3:52 pm    

I posted "other"... I'm currently playing through an old Peavey Pacer (solid state). I wouldn't exactly call it high power, but it's not really low power either... Most of my steels have single coils with the exception of the string through Valcos which technically are humbucking.. I use pedals for a bit of variety.

Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 10:30 am    

I just recently started on lap steel. I went cheap with the Rogue, and plugged it into my Mesa Boogie IIB. I am learning C6, and I prefer a clean sound, but I can get a nice 'dirty' sound just by turning up the gain a bit. The IIB makes anything sound great. No effects.

I play a lot through my very portable, Blackstar Fly 3 (3 watt) amp. I haven't tried to dirty the sound, but no doubt I could.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 12:55 pm    

I cannot be pinned down on this. It is totally situational. I might wind up using anything from a tweed/brown/blackface/silverface Fender (some real, some clone) to a Marshall (18 or 50 Watt) to a solid-state Peavey (generally Bandit or smaller), in various sizes, with or without pedals, which would usually include a compressor, overdrive, reverb, and delay. There are a LOT of rigs that work fine.

The variables are style of music, guitar and pickup(s), size of room and PA capability, desired stage volume, whether or not I'm using something else (like pedal steel or guitar) through the same amp, and what I feel like at the time. And generally same rig for either overdriven lap steel or slide guitar.

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 2:20 pm    

I really like the dynamic response of a high power, large transformer tube amp, with a good distortion pedal OR multi effects when needed. I really need the crystal clean with volume before breakup.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 8:55 am    

Large amps are the Voice Of God... but God gets quite annoying sometimes.

My fave setup is a Strat SSH into a small 6V6 tube amp like my tweed Falcon. A clean boost puts it over the top. And that first gain section tube needs to have some oomph... try a bunch and find the good one to put there... often a Fender amp can be improved by swapping around the 12AX7/7025s.