The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Felt Underside?
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 6:41 am    

I own two MSA's (1975 and 1976). Both had felt glued to the underside of the body. Did any other guitar brands do this? My thoughts have always been toward the negative outcome. The body generates tone and sustain from strings to changer to body to keyhead. Maybe the intention was to cut down on mechanical movement generated back to the pickup? I removed the felt from both of my guitars. I also upgraded the pickups. I have no problems with sustain and tone or mechanical sound generating back to the pickup. These old MSA's have gotten a bad rap for sounding dull and muddy in the past. Maybe the felt? Does anyone have any theory or facts for the purpose of gluing felt onto the underside body?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 9:04 am    

Swedish-built AWH and AVM both used green felt underneath. Nothing muddy or dull about their sound, and I would be very surprised if a thin, light felt covering would affect tone at all on such a massive solid body instrument. Especially not compared to gluing mica to the body..

I've also owned a few steels with flocking underneath, with no reason to suspect any interference with tone.

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 3:09 pm    

My Sierra Crown universal had red "flocking" felt glued to the underside.

The only guitar I ever regret selling...

Tom