The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  entry-level squareneck tricone
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 6:19 am    

I'm looking for an entry level tricone in the price range of Recording King and Republic.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 1:05 pm    

I see several Recording King RM-991-S tricones on Reverb for the same price - $1099.99 USD. I don't see anything for Republic squareneck tricones, and I expect those will be harder to find. Good luck with your search!

James Mayer

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 1:32 pm    

Yeah, I saw the $1099 Recording Kings but was hoping to buy used.

I'm thinking about talking to Aiersi about building a squareneck. I've found other threads here and on resohangout where the customer experience was positive. As I understand it, they build the Recording King models and are more affordable while still being a new instrument.

Was hoping someone here would have something they were wanting to sell as I trust SGF forum members to have taken care of their instruments.

Last edited by James Mayer on 15 Mar 2024 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 8:52 pm    

I have an Aiersi round-neck tri-cone. It is excellent in every way. I cut a hole in the top and put in a Gibson-made mini-humbucker that was taken from a trashed Silvertone Chris Isaak model 20+ years ago (a sad story, but at least something good came of it). The guitar now sounds good acoustically or amplified, and is my main acoustic steel-bodied slide player now. My vintage-police friends were blown away that such a reasonably-priced steel-bodied guitar could sound and play so good. We took a good look inside and it was well-constructed. BTW, most of the newer Aiersi tri-cones I've seen have a mini-humbucker already installed. The one I have is several years old, and didn't come with the pickup.

Of course, that is different than a square-neck. But I think it would be worth it to see what they say about building one. Devon Zhu posts here about their steel-bodied guitars occasionally, so you should be able to get ahold of him via the forum.

James Mayer

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 6:11 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
I have an Aiersi round-neck tri-cone. It is excellent in every way. I cut a hole in the top and put in a Gibson-made mini-humbucker that was taken from a trashed Silvertone Chris Isaak model 20+ years ago (a sad story, but at least something good came of it). The guitar now sounds good acoustically or amplified, and is my main acoustic steel-bodied slide player now. My vintage-police friends were blown away that such a reasonably-priced steel-bodied guitar could sound and play so good. We took a good look inside and it was well-constructed. BTW, most of the newer Aiersi tri-cones I've seen have a mini-humbucker already installed. The one I have is several years old, and didn't come with the pickup.

Of course, that is different than a square-neck. But I think it would be worth it to see what they say about building one. Devon Zhu posts here about their steel-bodied guitars occasionally, so you should be able to get ahold of him via the forum.

Good to know, thanks! This is probably the best route to go unless a stellar deal pops up. That seems rather unlikely, though. Searching all the usual sites (Reverb, eBay, etc) reveal that any used tricone squareneck is $2k or more and made by National or a premium boutique luthier.

I messaged him on the forum and wrote him an email directly through their site (the same email he has used on this forum). That was early yesterday morning and I haven't gotten a response.

Jeff Keyton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 5:18 pm    

I've got a Regal roundneck tricone bought new about 20 years ago now. (not selling it), but thought you might add those to your search - last year I added a string to it to make it a 7 stringer, tone is decent, I'm not sure how close the inner construction compares to the old ones, though.

James Mayer

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 6:56 am    

Jeff Keyton wrote:
I've got a Regal roundneck tricone bought new about 20 years ago now. (not selling it), but thought you might add those to your search - last year I added a string to it to make it a 7 stringer, tone is decent, I'm not sure how close the inner construction compares to the old ones, though.

I’m currently playing a Regal RC-51 roundneck with a nut raiser. I borrowed it from a friend. It sounds great and is what spurred my search for a squareneck.

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 11:46 am    

I emailed you about a Mckenna Tricone, it might be the stellar deal you’re looking for…

James Mayer

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 11:55 am    

Jim Park wrote:
I emailed you about a Mckenna Tricone, it might be the stellar deal you’re looking for…

I missed the email so thanks for the heads up. I should have specified that I’m looking for a metal-bodied tricone.

James Mayer

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 4:14 pm    

I have bad news followed by amazing news.

Bad news: Aiersi replied that they no longer make squareneck tricones.

Amazing news: I jumped on an instrument that was just listed on Reverb. It was outside of my original budget, but a quick glance around the web and I had to pull the trigger.

https://reverb.com/item/80642720-john-morton-7-string-lap-steel-2013-nickel-plated-brass

Not exactly entry level:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=278800

James Mayer

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 7:48 pm    

Here’s the history of this instrument

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2088462&highlight=#2088462

Jeff Keyton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 9:10 am    

Great looking steel, and depending on condition you receive it, looks like a good deal, bet it sounds as good as it looks.