The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Intonation adjustment on a Pedal Steel
Ron Wendler

Southern Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 5:47 pm    

I'm building a simple pedal steel and I got to thinking about the intonation adjustment. On a 6 string, intonation is adjusted by moving each saddle on the bridge. A pedal steel doesn't have saddle that adjust on its bridge. There are changers that adjust for peddle movement but they do not adjust like a saddle does. Does making sure the scale length is spot on both at the 12 fret and open? Am I making something harder than it is?

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 5:06 am    

Intonation adjustment is to compensate for stretching the string sharp when pressing in down to a fret (or fingerboard on a fretless instrument). This doesn't happen on a steel guitar so no compensation is needed.

So, yes, get your string length right. The twelfth fret line should be at the midpoint. Exact is nice, but if your off a little bit it won't matter. We play in tune with our ears not by meticulously lining the bar up with the fret markers.

Ron Wendler

Southern Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 5:43 am    

This is another world for me to learn. Thank you for enlightening me on this. I so love the steel and looking forward to playing it some day

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 8:35 am    

Good explanation, Fred.
The joy of this instrument us that however high you go, it's all automatically in tune as long as you keep the bar straight. Surprise your friends!

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 10:17 am    

Bar pressure determines how much deflection a string will experience. If you look closely, especially when playing single note stuff with the bar's nose, there can easily be as much or more deflection as that found on a fretted guitar. Your ear/hand skills are your intonation tools.

While I'm not a player and don't even try anymore. That said...Thankfully, I do have a pretty good ear. My first steel was purchased from Bobby Seymour. He sent me an MSA with a fret board from another brand that had a 1/4" different scale than that of the guitar. Playing in tune was no problem at all regardless of the frets being in the wrong positions. While I did see that my bar wasn't exactly over the frets when playing it didn't bother me. I didn't actually realize the dimensional difference until I was getting ready to sell that guitar at which point I felt pretty dumb.

The fret lines on a steel are very much like stop signs in Italy....a suggestion...