The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Seeking recommendations for pedal pulls for C6 licks on E9
Tim Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 3:34 pm    

I am wondering about the most useful licks for playing C6 licks on an E9 copedant. I will be playing an Extended E9 copedant. I will have an Emmons set up, A,B, and C, on the first 3 pedals (starting from the left, of course). At *my* level of...er...virtuosity, I don't need any more than that (and the standard 4 knee levers) for the E9 stuff. Since I have 6 pedals and will be using only 3 for the E9 "stuff," I will have 3 more pedals to tune in order to get C6 sounds. So what pulls should I tune on them (raising or lowering)? Also, is there a particular order that I should use for them? And...by the way...just to make it harder for you guys, I am too used to the D string on string 9 to change it...and, too, I am too old to try making that sort of change anyway. I will have to keep with extended E9 as my base, and the 11th string is G# and the 12th is E. Thanks so much for reading all of this and for any advice you might be able to come up with.

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 5:49 am    

lower your 7th string f# to f.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 5:50 am    

How about a reduced subset of the Jeff Neuman Universal tuning? Add changes that you usually see on pedal 5,6,and 7, leaving out the Booowah on pedal 8. That will play 90% of the C6 intervals. If that interest you, I can get more specific.

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 8:39 am    

There is a ton of "C6" stuff that can be found on an ExtendedE9 tuning.

Are we talking about a 6 pedal, 4 knee levers guitar ?

In order to give some good choices for the 3 extra pedals we need to know what changes are on those particular knee levers.

Also needed info is....are you planning to use both feet on the pedals for some combinations or not?

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteel ExtE9 7+7
JCH D10 8+8

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 8:50 am    

The glaringly obvious would be that if you have a knee lever that lowers both Es (most players do), simple engage it and play. Voila! Instant D6 (open) on the middle strings.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 1:17 pm    

Quote:

yes, and potentially drop 12E to -C# for a faux boo wah effect. C#7(#9)

4 E
5 B
6 G#
7 F
8 X
9 X
10 B
11 G#
12 -C#

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 4:52 am    

Lots can be done with a standard E9th tuning. Lot's of ideas, tabs and sound files here:

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/C6th%20On%20E9th/C6th%20On%20E9th.html

and a few more here:

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/Night%20Life%20E9th/Night%20Life%20E9th.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 9:56 am    

The sound of C6 isn’t just the tuning. The string gauges produce a different timbre. Minor and major 6th and 7th chords are all on an E9 copedent, as are a few of the altered dominants and more unusual quartal and secundal harmonies. They are on different grips and have a different sonic quality on E9.

I think of my E9 Ext as E9/A6 Uni and set up my copedent accordingly. I’ve even considered lowering string 2 to D or C#. Probably won’t though. The thicker gauged lower strings get close to that C6 sound. The range is 2.3 octaves, which is plenty, though not as wide as standard Uni, which seems excessive to me.

Raybob Bowman

S. Lake Tahoe, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 2:24 pm    

Gary Spaeth wrote:

+1. Also on same pedal, raise the low E string to F.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2024 8:50 pm    

On Jeff Newman's 12 Universal Tuning, He lowers the 2nd string to C# on the lever that lowers Strings 4-8 for his B6th voicing.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 8:59 am    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
On Jeff Newman's 12 Universal Tuning, He lowers the 2nd string to C# on the lever that lowers Strings 4-8 for his B6th voicing.

I have often wondered why this would not be a standard on E9. Would it be asking too much from one pull to also lower string 9 to C# along with 2,4 and 8? Basically tuning to Bmaj/G#m pentatonic.

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 11:09 am    

@Fred Treece
Quote:
I have often wondered why this would not be a standard on E9. Would it be asking too much from one pull to also lower string 9 to C# along with 2,4 and 8?

It would mess up the ability of using string 9 or 2 as a Root note where your E's to F knee-lever change between a minor or Major voicing while having the b7 (or a 6th/maj7th if you have a B-Bb split with the A pedal) available on strings 10 or 5

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteel S12extE9 7+7

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 11:38 am    

Bengt Erlandsen wrote:
@Fred Treece
Quote:
I have often wondered why this would not be a standard on E9. Would it be asking too much from one pull to also lower string 9 to C# along with 2,4 and 8?

It would mess up the ability of using string 9 or 2 as a Root note where your E's to F knee-lever change between a minor or Major voicing while having the b7 (or a 6th/maj7th if you have a B-Bb split with the A pedal) available on strings 10 or 5

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteel S12extE9 7+7

I would still keep a separate pull for that.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 1:41 pm    

Quote:

Gary Spaeth wrote:

+1. Also on same pedal, raise the low E string to F.

I'd think it would be more efficient to raise 12E a semitone on the F lever...

The F# half tone lower on 7 relates to the C#9 when Es are lowered, in B6 mode. Its also C#7(#9) when Es are not lowered...
Like pedal 5 or P5&6 on C6.

Only makes sense to drop it down to C# as a low root given that his tuning only goes down to E and his intention is to get "C6 licks".
By dropping 12E to C# and lowering 7 to F, you're killing 2 birds with one stone.
Pedal 5 and basically P8, albeit only as low as C# but the voicing and effect are still there.

That said, the 12E-F raise would still indeed work with 7 F#-F, yes. And I understand not everyone likes low notes anyway.

That C#9 P5 style change really comes alive if 8E drops to D on the pedal beside it or on a lever. Diminished pedals on C6.
The 9D he is keeping will work but not as intuitively I'd think.