The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Seeing Nashville for the First Time
Ethan Verderber

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 4:02 pm    

Hello,

I’m visiting Music City for the first time and I will be there tonight and for the next two days. I’m under 21. Would anyone like to offer any last minute advice for where I should look for some steel guitars in action? Also where else do you recommend going in the city, maybe a museum, favorite guitar store, or a record store where I could find some Buddy Emmons records?

Thank you.

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 4:47 pm    

I would recommend the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum downtown. Their permanent exhibits are great, and there's a huge exhibit up now called "Western Edge" all about Los Angeles country-rock, with a lot of pedal steel content (JayDee Maness, Sneaky Pete, Rusty Young etc). The regular exhibits include a lot of historical steel stuff as well (historic Lloyd Green, Jerry Byrd and Buddy Emmons guitars etc). Their gift shop is probably as good a place as any in town to maybe find steel music as well, though that's not saying much.

If you have a car and have some time you might find good used steel records at The Great Escape out on Charlotte Pike; it's big and well organized; lots of old classic country LPs reasonably priced. They have a store in Madison too.

Just a few blocks from the Hall of Fame is Lower Broadway, where many of the clubs are all ages in the afternoon; if you walk the few blocks with most of the bars between 2 and 5 pm you're likely to find at least a few good steel players playing (not always though). There's a lot of crappy classic rock these days for sure.

Gruhn Guitars and Carter Vintage are world famous vintage guitar stores on 8th Ave (south of downtown), but prices tend to be high. Fun to browse though, and there are sometimes a few steels (at Carter at least).

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 7:10 pm    

Go out to where the Opry is. On Music Valley Drive there are three clubs in the same parking lot. Music City Bar and Grill, Scoreboard, and Nashville Palace. Don’t miss the Music City Playboys Wednesday night. Rusty Danmyer on steel and Connie Smith’s steel player Eddie Lange on bass doing the classic stuff. All three clubs likely to have steel players.

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 11:19 pm    

Quote:
Go out to where the Opry is. On Music Valley Drive there are three clubs in the same parking lot. Music City Bar and Grill, Scoreboard, and Nashville Palace.

I'm pretty sure all those are 21 and over in the evenings so won't work here.

Eddy Dunlap

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 4:18 am    

Come on out to the Ryman tonight to the Jenny Lewis and Logan Ledger concert. Russ Pahl and I are playing at 7:00 with Misa Arriaga, Nick Bockrath from Cage the Elephant, Ryan Keith on keys and Jamie Dick on Drums.