The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What bullet steel has indent at base to facilitate slants?
Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 7:48 am    

I'm using a Dunlop 920 and a Shubb SP-2. I prefer the Dunlop, but would like to find a similar bar with an indent at the base to make slants easier to control. I've looked online, but can't find one. Often, the photos don't show the base and there's nothing in the description to indicate if there's such an indent.

Can anyone steer me in the direction of bar similar in shape, size and weight to the Dunlop 920, but with an indent at the base?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 8:21 am    

Check out the Latch Lake (formerly Broz-o-phonic) bar.

https://latchlakemusic.com/slides/hawaiian-bar/

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 8:27 am    

For 6 & 8 string lap steel I use a Dunlop 918, shorter and lighter than a 920 and indented like a 920. For my 6 string resonator, I prefer the 918 when playing swing music and faux-Hawaiin but use a Shubb SP2 for bluegrass.

I "play around" with Pedal Steel and the 920 is my choice for it's length and weight. I find the 920 has too much of both for the other styles I mention.

Dunlop and Shubb are the only bars that are easily available in my part of the world but I don't like awake at night over that 😁

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 8:29 am    

Doesn't the Dunlop have an indent?

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 8:58 am    

Tim Whitlock wrote:
Doesn't the Dunlop have an indent?

Well, it does. But it's so shallow of an indent that I don't even consider it an indent. Maybe it's the best one can expect, though. For some reason, I thought there are bars with more pronounced indents.

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 9:00 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:

https://latchlakemusic.com/slides/hawaiian-bar/

Thanks for that link! That is definitely the type of indent I'm looking for. The one on my Dunlop 920 is really shallow.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 11:01 am    

I have some Bullet bars for sale that have a deep indentation:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=398070&highlight=

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 11:33 am    

Not being glib here. Proper slant technique is the key to better slants. A pronounced indent in the rear of the bar is pretty close to irrelevant - at least IMHO. My go-to bar these days is a Clinesmith where there's just a bit if lip round the flat base of the bar.

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 11:57 am    

Andy Volk wrote:
Not being glib here. Proper slant technique is the key to better slants. A pronounced indent in the rear of the bar is pretty close to irrelevant - at least IMHO. My go-to bar these days is a Clinesmith where there's just a bit if lip round the flat base of the bar.

Forward slants aren't a big problem for me, it's the reverse slants. Everything just seems to go haywire. I watched a video where the guy (forget who...Troy B. or maybe Raphael) recommended a bar with a concave indent at the base. Seemed like it would help. The bar just slips away from me when I try doing reverse slants.

Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 12:29 pm    

I have both a latch lake and a Dunlop 918.

As a new player, I had a lot of trouble with the latch lake so I bought the 918, which is a bit lighter (I think) and a bit shorter, which made it easier to control.

Now that I'm trained up in the 918, I find the latch lake easier to control. But I still prefer the Dunlop 918.

Good luck! Bars are even worse than picks when trying to find the right one because of the cost!

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 1:26 pm    

Even for 8 strings I have come to really like the Dunlop 919, with specs as recommended by the slant master, Jerry Byrd, himself (in his method). The 919 is slightly shorter than the 918.

918: 5.5 oz. 3/4″ diameter x 2-15/16″ long
919: 4.5 oz. 3/4" diameter x 2-3/4" long

I agree with Andy that the indent is for the most part inconsequential, backward slants will always be awkward and require practice.
I think the best help, bar-wise, is lightness and ease of manipulation, without sounding too thin. I imagine that is what Jerry Byrd found.

I can't slant like Byrd could but I would rather have a 919 that is round on both ends for backward slants than a 920 with the most comfortable indent custom tailored to my thumb Laughing

For reference:
920: 7.5 oz. 7/8" diameter x 3-1/4" long

Speaking of round on both sides, a company made a bar called the "twister" like that a decade or so back.
This would allow for upside down split slants using the bullet nose! Interesting possibilities if one could cope...

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 1:46 pm    

In my experience, it is the reverse slant that needs an indent. And to that end (no pun intended) the indent should aproximate the curve of the end of the thumb.

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 2:49 pm    

So, I did a little experiment. I tried a couple of my bottleneck slides, thinking since they're open on the end I could get a feel for whether an indent would help or not. In the process of doing this, I found that reverse slants with these slides was much easier - but it wasn't so much that there was a place to nestle my thumb, it was because they're shorter and lighter. My Dunlop 920 is 3 1/4" long and 7.5 oz. The lighter brass slides are much shorter and lighter. Much easier to maneuver quickly and retain control over. I also found that I really like the sound of brass on the strings. Whether it's because of the metal or because it's a hollow cylinder, I don't know.

This has me rethinking my use of the Dunlop 920. I'm convinced now it's just too long and too heavy a slide for me, at least my current skill level. I think I need a shorter, lighter bullet slide. Ideally with an indent at the base.

Steven Pearce

Port Orchard Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 5:57 pm    

Latch Lake and for Stevens type bars, the Shubb SP3 is a great bar.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 1:16 pm    

Slants aside, I always assumed that a cavity in the base of the bar was a way of moving the centre of gravity nearer the nose.

Andrew H. Brown

Amarillo, TX
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 7:16 pm    

Michael Hillman is a forum member here and makes some great bars that are indented in the base. They are powder coated, and sound and feel great. I like the "Rose Sinclair" bar (3/4). He has many sizes to accommodate, is a gentleman on the phone and will help you find what you need. Also, he has the "Dave Wright" bars that are tapered. Very reasonably priced as well. Highly recommended.

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 10:13 am    

I can't explain this, but I can suddenly do reverse slants without losing control of the bar! And I'm able to do it without my thumb going anywhere near the base of the bar.

I think what I'm doing differently is that when I push the bar back I'm simultaneously rolling it forward slightly and my thumb dips a little downward, sort of rolling down with the bar almost to the point of touching the strings.

It's been interesting to hear everyone's opinion on bars with a cavity in the base, and whether or not they help. I just paid for such a bar from a forum member, and while I don't really think I need it now I'm looking forward to seeing how it handles and if putting a thumb at the end of it works better.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 10:36 am    

Jerry Byrd puts on a "Master Class" on reverse slanting in this video ... "Surprise Waltz"

https://youtu.be/vLNYnBUB0FY?si=JMIj_Pum6REVle-W

In order to do reverse slants fast and accurate ... well, just pay attention to where his thumb is placed ... an indent (even just a LIP) helps tremendously 🧐

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 10:37 am    

Jerry Byrd puts on a "Master Class" on reverse slanting in this video ... "Surprise Waltz"

https://youtu.be/vLNYnBUB0FY?si=JMIj_Pum6REVle-W

In order to do reverse slants fast and accurate ... well, just pay attention to where his thumb is placed ... an indent (even just a LIP) helps tremendously 🧐

Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 11:20 am    

Quote:

Wow! Whoa!

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 1:32 pm    

I have a bar with a rather deep domed indent and it doesn’t help me with reverse slants any better than a Dunlop 920. The lip or edge of the indent is the most important part, not how deep the indent is. I wouldn’t want to dip my thumb into a deep indent because it will be harder to straighten out smoothly. Just my experience.

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 2:09 pm    

Nathan Laudenbach wrote:
I have a bar with a rather deep domed indent and it doesn’t help me with reverse slants any better than a Dunlop 920. The lip or edge of the indent is the most important part, not how deep the indent is. I wouldn’t want to dip my thumb into a deep indent because it will be harder to straighten out smoothly. Just my experience.

Makes sense. I have a 920 and I've somehow figured out a way to do reverse slants without my thumb going onto or into the base at all. I've got a shorter bullet bar with an indent on the way, so I'm gonna find out if that works or not.

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 1:33 pm    

When I go into a reverse slant using the Latch Lake bar with a concaved indent, it approximates the curve of the end of my thumb. The bar pivots under the first knuckle of the first finger, and by the time the bar is in the reversed position, the indent is on the pad of the thumb. Its a smooth transition. I do not have to get my thumb out of the indent.

Peter Funk

Germany
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 12:41 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
From the description:"The opposing end is cupped to fit inside the index finger knuckle for maximum control of slant movement and intonation." ???
Can somebody post a picture, how to do this?

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 3:50 am    

Peter Funk wrote:
Jack Hanson wrote:
From the description:"The opposing end is cupped to fit inside the index finger knuckle for maximum control of slant movement and intonation." ???
Can somebody post a picture, how to do this?

It sounds like gibberish to me. First, there's no way the bar is going "fit inside" any finger. Second, the index finger never has any reason to be at that end of the bar. I suspect that the people writing and proofreading the copy have no idea how to use a bar.