The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TSGA recap
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 3:36 pm    

Sarah Jory was the headliner and she did not disappoint. Lots of playing in the Mullen room plus two sets on the main stage. Her brilliance never gets old!
Boo Miller was inducted into the HOF and none other than his current band, The Farewell Party Band, along with Gene Watson himself, was there to back him up for his set. Certainly the great highlight of the weekend.
I don’t think there were as many vendors this year which was too bad, because they are just as important a draw as the players.
Retro hillbilly music was presented by Dan Johnson and the Prairie Rattlers. They looked and sounded the part very convincingly.
Most amazing performance was by a 14 year old boy from Ireland, whom Sarah was mentoring. He played I Never Go Around Mirrors and absolutely nailed Mike Johnson’s iconic solo and fills. As usual some fabulous music was in the Mullen and MSA room!

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 4:36 pm    

Agree with Tony on all the above that I got to see. I was also moved with Jack Phillips set on Friday. So many songs Buddy used to do in St. Louis, really brought back memories.

Paul Awalt

Greenwich, Ct.
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 6:38 pm     Tsga

I loved Rus Pahl's instrumental, "Butt Call From Mars", it was out of this world.

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 3:26 am     Dallas Jamboree 2024

What about Bruce Bouton and randy Beavers?

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 4:10 am     Bruce Bouton

Bruce shared a lot of stories of how he got started, roomed with Ray Flacke and subsequently got the gig with Ricky Skaggs at a very early age. Of particular interest to me was asking him about the chorus sound he got on Crying Ny Heart Out Over You and the others on that album. I always wondered which chorus pedal he used but found out it was him double tracking his parts!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 4:47 am    

Quote:
I don’t think there were as many vendors this year which was too bad, because they are just as important a draw as the players.

I agree with that. One of the reasons I decided to pass this year was the lack of vendors last year. Sorry to hear there weren't more this year. Also from a purely personal perspective, I have been disappointed in the lack of diversity in the show. I'm planning on attending next years SWSGA show in Arizona simply because their lineup this year was a lot more interesting to me personally with people like Rick Schmidt and other jazz players. And from a REALLY personal perspective: the Dallas airport is a nightmare if you have a physical disability.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 4:51 am    

Randy Beavers was everything you would expect of Randy Beavers. Tone to the bone on the almost one of a kind Zumsteel S10. Interesting selection of songs too.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 7:24 am    

And speaking of Sarah Jory. What a selfless and gracious lady. When she gave the very young & super talented twin fiddles a round, she motioned them to the front of the stage & got up from her steel at center stage & moved to the side of the stage to give them the full attention of the stage. Pure class.

R Crow

Hectorville, OK USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 11:09 am     Randy Beavers

Danny, Can you name anyone else who has received a standing ovation for Steel Guitar Rag? Before you say Leon, are you sure?

He had told me last year he was working on a new version.

All anyone can say is WOW!

Rick

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 1:21 pm    

I’m sorry Mr. Crow, I saw so much great picking & many standing O’s that I can’t recall. I do remember someone playing it very well & a little different.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 5:19 pm     Travis Toy

Travis was playing a midi pedal steel in the MSA room. Had levers and pedals but “fake” strings
I couldn’t seem to upload a photo from my iPhone

Andrew H. Brown

Amarillo, TX
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 6:37 pm    

I believe the 14 year old in the Mullen room with Sara Jory was from Lubbock TX, not Ireland. He takes lessons from Wally Moyers. Props!

Ryan Turner

Ireland
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 1:41 pm    

Joshua turner would like to say thanks for the mention, he is the 14yr old from Ireland that played in the mullen room, (I’ll never go around mirrors) under the care of Sarah Jory, he is playing g exactly 2 years and loves traditional country music, we had a lot of fun at the festival, and look forward to returning next year
Than you

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 1:53 pm    

I didn't go to the show, but there are a bunch of videos of performances on YouTube. The audio quality is not very good though.

This is a YouTube search for TSGA 2024 ----> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tsga+2024

Andrew H. Brown

Amarillo, TX
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 4:21 pm    

Thanks for clarifying! Greatly enjoyed that set in the Mullen room. Would the proud Dad from Lubbock chime in? I must of got your story wrong. But I know what I heard.

Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 4:02 pm    

I would just like to point out a few sets that struck me where I live musically at TSGA. I know that to enumerate is to omit. There were several sets that I missed due to fatugue from travel but here goes, in aplhabetical order.

Randy Beavers
Johnny Cox
Paul King (Sunday Morning Church Service)

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 10:07 am     Paul King

I wasn't at the show, but I know there was many top notch players at the show.

I would put Paul King at the top of the list of fantastic players. Paul plays just great, and is a great person.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 1:57 pm    

Paul is a great player but without his Sonic cup he is a lost puppy. Lol, Just kidding Paul, I enjoy your talent and great tone.

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 6:47 am     Mullen Room

Sarah was for sure the highlight. Our band and the rest of the sit ins were just amazing. We had a couple of the US Navy Band in the room (man they are amazing)

We did have the 2 14yr olds. Josh Turner from Ireland (wow what a great player) and new up coming Wyatt Kenney from Lubbock (Wally is a great teacher I guess. This kid is already killing it)

Jeremy Drawbaugh really represented us well. What a talented player.

Casey Martin did some great stuff as well. Randy Boyd my dear brother never disappoints. He has so much talent.

I know I am missing some and I'm sorry. You can check out lots of videos on our FB page at Mullen Crew. Steel is alive!!!!!

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 5:35 pm    

I was there (didn't play, of course). I didn't get to see as much as I would have liked, but my moments I enjoyed most were, among others, the last song that JayDee Maness played on Saturday, the trio of Russ Pahl, Eddy Dunlop and Bruce Bouton channeling Lloyd Green, Bob and Rick Blair doing (I think it was) "Four Strong Winds", Ariel Lobos playing tango (!) on lap steel, Rose Sinclair, and a couple of nonpedal players who reminded me of Tommy Morrell. I wasn't able to see a lot of the great steel players I admired, but those brief glimpses stay in my memory. It was also nice talking with old and new friends. I learned a lot on that trip.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 4:38 am    

It was another great show. So many great memories now. I love to play and listen to music but the fellowship makes it even better. Thanks Larry and Larry for the kind words. I was honored to play but so many play a higher level than I do. These young men today make me proud. That being said I am proud to be a member of the TSGA.