The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Push Pull 6th String Lower
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 10:53 am    

Can you lower the 6th string (E9) a full step G# > F# without messing up the B pedal feel?

My experience with a full step lower (on my 8th string) is that it creates the need for a LOT of slack in the raise....something that I live with on my F lever but could not live with on my B pedal.

A client wants this change and I don't even want to experiment without first getting some opinions here. I'll outright tell him no if my hunch is confirmed.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 10:59 am    

Jon-
I think it's fine and use it on most I setup. Just my opinion. Though I do believe that's a factory change that Emmons put on most 70's p/p's, on the RKL. It also raised string 1 a 1/2 step.

Smile

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 11:03 am    

He's got the E lowers on the RKL and wants me to move them to LKR. LKR currently raises 7th string a half step (and 1st string). After I flip the E's, he wants the 7th string raise changed to a 6th string lower. That full step really worries me in terms of slack in the raise on the B pedal.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 11:08 am    

Jon Light wrote:
He's got the E lowers on the RKL and wants me to move them to LKR. LKR currently raises 7th string a half step (and 1st string). After I flip the E's, he wants the 7th string raise changed to a 6th string lower. That full step really worries me in terms of slack in the raise on the B pedal.

Well the third string has to travel much further than the 6th string on the B pedal.

The the slack will be part of the travel needed for the 3rd string raise. So it is not very noticeable. Though some people notice everything...

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 11:13 am    

Thanks Mike. I totally understand what you're saying and I'll consider that a 'can do'. Very helpful.

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 3:20 pm     6 strinng lowering to F#

Jon: I've had it on my D-10 P/P for 40+ years without any problems. Thanks, Tommy.....

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 3:47 pm    

Thanks for that, Tommy. Looks like I'm good to go. My problem on my guitar was with a wound .030. The difference in the amount of travel vs a plain 6th string on the client's guitar is huge. That was the source of my confusion & concern.

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 6:08 pm     String gauges

Jon: I use a .032w for my 8th. string, and a .036 for my 9th. string. Everything works better. Since the 9th. string and the 2nd. lower together. The C# on the 9th.string has slightly less travel to reach the lower note. Hope that make sense. Thanks, Tommy.....

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 4:07 pm    

Hey Jon... In regards to the 6th string, full-tone lower on the E9th on an Emmons "Original", a .022P will work better than a .020P as well. Like Tommy, I've had that change on my Emmons Originals since the 70s. About a year ago, Tommy Cass put the "trick" split for the 6th string on my '69 D-10. I love it and it works great..!!

Hope you're well man..!!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 4:30 pm    

Chris -- aha. Yep -- I was going to go with a .022 on that 6.
I wasn't thinking clearly with this whole thing.
The difference between what I've been fighting with on MY guitar, dropping the 8th string a full step without leaving LOTS of slack in the F lever vs doing the 'same' on the client's guitar, dropping the 6th string a full step without interfering with the B pedal is night and day because of the wound vs plain string.
That 8th string lower is a long throw. Plain 6th string never is.

Good! Thanks! Hope you're good & well too.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 11:19 am    

Full lowers on 6th work fine on a push pull with no notivable problem for B pedal. I’ve also got a tunable split on mine where A pedal raises it back a half tone. Doesn’t affect A pedal either.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 11:53 am    

Right on Henry. I love how that split works. Hope you're well..!!

Chris "Tiny" O.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 12:56 pm    

Henry Matthews wrote:
I’ve also got a tunable split on mine where A pedal raises it back a half tone. Doesn’t affect A pedal either.

Neat trick! Might be the first I've heard of this, using the raise over lower override.