The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Yet another tuning thread, but with new info
Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2024 1:01 pm    

Mike Neer wrote:
Back to Earth here. Keeping a guitar strung up with all 4ths tuning, but I don't think there's a path forward for me.
I haven't had the itch to experiment with tunings in quite a long time, which has been really good for focusing my playing, but once I started playing with a Carnatic tuning (E B E B E B) for the lessons I have been taking, I thought there might be other viable options. Maybe there are, but just not for me. I am now incorporating the techniques I have learned back into my C6-based approach.

On the other hand, this was not a waste of time. I feel like my playing has evolved a bit in the past few months in that I am now able to use the bar more freely and up and down the length of the strings, and it has reinforced my ability to improvise more freely and chromatically and with a balanced approach. Win/win.

I’m a little sorry to hear that as I was looking forward to listening to the results. But I totally understand your reasons. I’m probably the poster child for lack-of-discipline when it comes to tunings, having approached mediocrity in many and expertise in none.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database