The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roni Stoneman Passes
Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2024 3:11 pm    

“For Roni Stoneman, known as ‘The First Lady of the Banjo,’ country music was a birthright and her life’s work. The second youngest of twenty-three children born to Hattie and Ernest ‘Pop’ Stoneman, Roni was an integral part of a bedrock country music family, who were longtime fixtures in the country music scene of Washington, DC. For eighteen years on ‘Hee Haw,’ she stole scenes as both a skillful banjo player and as a comical, gap-toothed country character. She was a great talent and a strong woman.”

—Kyle Young, CEO
Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2024 3:13 pm    

I traveled with Roni for a couple years playing steel and recorded a CD with her. I could not have found a better boss. Plus the stories she told me about Buddy Emmons, Bobbe Seymour, and others were priceless.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2024 8:29 am    

I too, played steel with Roni. If I remember correctly, they were package shows that included Grandpa Jones, George McCormick and Kenny Price, mid 70’s.
My thoughts and prayers are with Roni’s family.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2024 8:08 pm    

Rip Roni. What a wonderful talented lady with a great career. My sympathy and prayers for her family and friends.

Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2024 4:00 pm     So sad to here of Roni's passing

I remember watching her on tv when I was just a kid. Those kind of memories never go away. She was really great to watch. My sincere condolences to all the Stoneman family.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 4:42 pm    

I played a job in Chattanooga years back with the Stoneman Family and Curly Fox (Roni wasn't with them on that gig), and they were about as wonderful as people could be. Great musicians and still very humble and real. It was a great gig for me. Hate that I didn't meet Roni though.

Dave

Doug Jones

Oregon & Florida
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2024 6:54 am    

I was in the Nashville Palace one night 25 years ago. Roni came up and asked me to dance. How could I say no! While on the floor she told me I reminded her of an ex-husband and wondered when I would resume paying alimony. We had a blast; what a character, and of course, a great entertainer and banjoist.