The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Signal conditioner system for musical instruments"
David Laveau

Rocky Mountain High, CO
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2024 6:40 pm    

Quote:
The present invention has been used with various types of conventional guitars and conventional amplifier systems with excellent results.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4916409A/en?oq=4%2c916%2c409

Interesting patent i just read.

Most interesting are some of the later patents
that mention this one, the players involved, etc

Anyhow, hope y'all are having a great evening

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 7:40 am    

From what I can gather, it’s nothing more than a compressor with a tone control.

Question

David Laveau

Rocky Mountain High, CO
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 10:01 am    

agree

Some of the patent pages show Peavey, Sony, and others players in the market citing the circuit.

I think a key aspect is the higher than average rails, which can give some more headroom. Could be significant

Neat stuff to nerd out on, but I get why some folks don't patent their ideas for fear of copycats slightly alterting the inventions documented in the applications

Last edited by David Laveau on 16 Feb 2024 11:13 am; edited 2 times in total

David Laveau

Rocky Mountain High, CO
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 10:07 am    

$10 from a local lady clearing out the last of her dad's rig, husband was going to bin it and she figured she'd offer it to folks on marketplace - the guy who patented & built it was also local...

fun stuff you'll stub your toes on sometimes

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 4:37 pm    

Higher than average ampliication usually leads to distortion, especially if it's before the first preamp. That's why I figured it had to incorporate a limiter of some sort, like they have in some Peavey amps. The preface also talks regenerative feedback (for bass boost?), which is done in some EQ circuits. There's not much there, and sans power supply, you could build that circuit inexpensively in a stomp-box.

Interesting device? Maybe, maybe not.

As to patenting in general, it costs many thousands of dollars, and it's hard to recoup those costs without selling thousands (or tens of thousands) of products. Often there's no need to alter the circuits if you want to clone the device, and China, in particular, is great as far as counterfeiting and selling similar products. (And, they're hard to bring any action against.)

Richard Lester

Constable, New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 3:20 am     hot pick-ups

Donny,
Does this device calm the output of hot pick-ups such as the Bill Lawrence Lxr-16 or the 705? I have found not all amps can handle hot pick-ups and they will cause a bit of distortion, some, even at low volumes.
Thanks,
Richard

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 7:27 pm    

Richard, I've never seen or used one of the devices, so I can't say for sure. However, there are a couple of ways to accomplish what you need. First would be a volume control in the guitar, as that would allow you to control the output before it goes to anything else. A second (and better) way, IMHO, would be to use a ghraphic EQ pedal, and operate all the sliders somewhere in the negative dB region. That would allow you to not only reduce the pickup output, but also give you the ability to contour the sound so that the tone doesn't get affected as much.

You could also change the values of the input resistors in the amp so the first stange wouldn't see as high a voltage at the amps input. But that, like a volume control in the guitar, would likely affect the tone.