The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "standard" pedal bar height on MSA Classic?
Jordan Yeo

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2024 10:05 am    

My MSA Classic has 2 holes drilled in the legs, allowing the pedal bar to be mounted at 2 different heights off the floor. Curious what the 'standard' would have been, as I don't think they came with 2 holes. At the tallest setting, it puts the top of the pedal bar 3 inches off the ground. Thanks!

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2024 10:34 am    

My '70 Classic has only one hole drilled in each front leg.I'm trying to think why someone would need one higher up and the only thing I can come up with is that perhaps someone liked their pedal rods so long that the floor interfered with pedal travel.

Although I have no idea why someone would want their pedal rods that long. My pedal bar is right up against the little rubber feet and it's always felt fine to me. Winking

Jordan Yeo

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2024 11:17 am    

I am using a drum throne as a seat, and at it's lowest height setting, my knees are quite close to the underside of the steel. Holes are already drilled so might just use that taller setting instead of buying a new seat! One other side benefit of the higher setting, my goodrich volume bracket actually is sitting on the top of the pedal bar without a gap now.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2024 5:03 pm    

The 2 MSA Classics I owned only had 1 hole, In each front leg to install the pedal bar. The leg adjusters set against the pedal bar on both steels.

From your description, Someone raised the height of the guitar an inch or so, Which raised the pedals to high off the floor. They did not want to buy new longer pedal rods or add extenders to each pedal rod. And by raising the pedal bar it put the pedal foot pads closer to the floor so a taller person could get their knees under the guitar.

It's a Rule Of Physics thing, If you want to use the lower holes. You will need longer rods or add rod extenders to make the pedal foot pads closer to the floor.

Good Luck, Finding the combination to fit the guitar to you. Happy Steelin.

Jordan Yeo

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 7:07 am    

Thanks for the replies folks! Am curious if anyone who currently has an MSA classic is able to check the measurement for me- I'm just not sure which set of holes is the standard one!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 7:21 am    

Since you can only raise the guitar by drilling new holes in the inner tubes, it’s safe to say that the holes nearest the end of the legs were the original (standard) ones.

Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 11:16 am    

My '76 MSA Classic has one set of holes. They are 2 1/2" above the floor.

Jordan Yeo

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 12:27 pm    

Bob Shilling wrote:

Thanks Bob- exactly what I was hoping to find out. I've got holes at 2 1/2 and 2- a previous owner must have tried to lower it for some reason. who knows!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 3:42 pm    

Jordan Yeo wrote:
Bob Shilling wrote:

Thanks Bob- exactly what I was hoping to find out. I've got holes at 2 1/2 and 2- a previous owner must have tried to lower it for some reason. who knows!

Well, if you lower the pedal board, that probably won't allow enough pedal movement, especially on carpet. So whoever drilled the extra holes apparently didn't realize that. Exclamation

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 7:54 pm    

Its another of those Rules of Physics. If you lower the pedal bar and don't use longer pedal rods. It would actually make the pedal pads higher off the floor.

Maybe someone was playing on thick carpet, And figured that would be a quick easy way to raise all the pedals at once.

You may want to check the inter tubes on the front 2 legs. If you have plenty of inter tube on both legs, You may just want to cut them off at the top hole, And put new holes at proper height. Or put some tape over the unused holes.

Good Luck on this project and Happy Steelin.