The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  (She’s) Gone Country
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2024 7:08 am    

https://www.axios.com/local/nashville/2024/02/13/beyonce-country-album-songs-nashville

Last edited by Frank Freniere on 18 Mar 2024 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2024 9:25 am    

Maybe she'll finally get album of the year and Jay Z can lighten up.....

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2024 2:41 pm    

There is a big difference between “a great country singer”, and “a great singer, singing country”.

Let’s not confuse the two. Laughing

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2024 5:48 pm    

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/on-this-beyonce-going-country-business/

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2024 4:56 pm    

Sorry, but Beyonce's stuff isn't what I'd call Country. I don't know what it is, but it missed the Country bullseye by a county or two. (Even with that sprinkling of pedal steel grace notes.)

I had to reach way back in my memory to think of Black female artists that appeared on the Grand Ole Opry. Linda Martell was the first, back in 1971. And for some reason (probably gigging in a Baltimore bar), I missed her debut. But I did catch Ruby Falls debut on the Opry about a decade later. Before she passed away, I thought she did a pretty good job of "going country". This isn't the song she did that night, but it's another one of her chart records. I post it here because it features some pretty neat backup playing by none other than Curly Chalker. See what you think of it... Mr. Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSdFUxHyDok

~
edit -

And here's another chart song Ruby had that also features some great playing. Not Chalker on this one, though. Sounds more like Sonny Garrish to me? (Or possibly Weldon, or Lloyd?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiqbVuchF5w

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2024 8:03 pm    

I don’t play in big leagues so I don’t really care who’s not country enough or who gets an award for being something different instead of being good at what we’re used to hearing or what we like.

This is as much a Beyonce marketing move as it is about having any kind of affinity for the genre. She’s bringing her folks over to country, and country folks are giving her a listen, maybe for the first time. But I don’t care about that either because I don’t hear much in the songs that have been released that intrigues me. Not Beyonce’s fault though. Modern Country Commerce lost me in about 1993.

Aside from all that, it does seem that the best way (if not the only way) for a non-caucasian artist to “break in” to Country music is by getting to the top of some other genre first. And there are a whole buncha bad reasons for that.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2024 2:19 am    

Its a very strange scenario here. "FORCED" Billboard rated the song as Country #1 due to streams and radio play, following the Super Bowl. not sales. As of now, yes millions of streams but only 29,000 sales. There is no doubt that Beyonce has millions of fans who certainly would listen to her music, and probably more than a few times. Both my wife and I listened at different times so WE COUNT in the streams and so do you if you listened, even for a moment. Sales, is a totally different issue.

Its not a country song , its a song with a Banjo and the word TEXAS. If it is a Country song, its a rather drab boring Country song, no spark whatsoever. Its a one and done listen.

The other thing, for me, is the video, I find it totally offensive, she's half naked , maybe more than half naked.

How can a song with 29,000 sales units be #1 on any chart ? How can a song survive with only 29,000 in unit sales ?

They can claim and say its #1 24/7 but without Sales it's a bust. But I digress, she will be on the Opry soon.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2024 6:09 am    

Quote:
The other thing, for me, is the video, I find it totally offensive, she's half naked , maybe more than half naked.

Nothing is sacred anymore nowadays, you can see it everywhere. Disgusting!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2024 6:07 pm    

Tony Prior wrote:

How can a song with 29,000 sales units be #1 on any chart ? How can a song survive with only 29,000 in unit sales ?

They can claim and say its #1, 24/7 but without Sales it's a bust. But I digress, she will be on the Opry soon.

Tru dat! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2024 7:21 am    

If you're refering to the song from Allan Jackson, Frank, which I think you do, I'll have to say that I do not like the lyrics very much. I think they are very poor.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2024 7:58 am    

I hear a Rapid Transit Commuter coming
It’s coming around the bend
And I haven’t seen normal global temps since I don’t when
I’m growing as a person in a rehabilitation center, And my apple watch keeps my bluetooth on
But that Rapid Transit keeps a rollin hoping another grammy will be won.

Boom-chuka-boom

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2024 9:34 am    

I had to view the video to make an informed comment about it.

I was not expecting anything country and I wasn't disappointed. Who even knows how the masses define country music since they've been force fed this kind of stuff as being so.

The comment section underneath the video tells you all you need to know. These are cerainly knowledgeable country music fans right?

Such as these or paraphrased.

"I don't like country music but I like this song."
"I never listened to country music until I heard this"

And other comments in general I hear concerning this type of so-called country....
"Well, I like country music...most of it...just not that honky whiney guitar stuff."

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2024 10:00 am    

Quote:
"Well, I like country music...most of it...just not that honky whiney guitar stuff."

Almost word for word what someone said to me 35 years ago in some club somewhere. It was the girlfriend of the lead singer of a country band I was playing guitar in. I knew commercial country was in trouble.

But this is exactly what I meant about a Beyoncé marketing scheme. Bringing her fans over to what they perceive as country is not a crime against the genre. Her song stylings are not exactly a cold shock to the post-Garth era Nashville scene, and neither are the videos.

It probably would not have worked for her 15 years ago. Now, I feel like hmm, oh gosh look, Beyoncé’s wearing a glittery cowboy hat, chaps over her underwear, riding a horse, and singing about comparing a card game to having sex. Nothing new here…

Jacob Yergert

Centennial, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2024 10:41 am    

I feel like the conversation around who gets to be called Country and who doesn't usually just kind of goes in circles. Reddit is awash with posts about what counts as Country compared to Americana and other hair-splitting. I love the hard-country weepers m

In my opinion, the song is more country than plenty of dudebro, snap track, trap-beat stuff that gets played on mainstream country radio. I think the best choice for music lovers is to completely disregard the radio-- there's nothing on it worth listening to and every playlist is a workshopped, focus-grouped junk. It's easier than ever to discover all manner of niche genres and moods.

I think one of the best descriptions of Country music is that its similar to Drag. How many of us playing in cowboy bands are actually cowboys? Not a lot. How many of us are out cheating on our wives and putting whiskey in our coffees in the morning? Hopefully not a whole lot. I was lucky enough to be born on a farm, but we moved to the suburbs when I was little. Am I Country? Do I have to ride and wrangle to be Country? Can I make a country song with big, rock guitars or does it have to be swamped in fiddle and steel? We're all playing characters in costume for other's entertainment and our own fun.

Looking at Charley Crockett's early interviews almost 20 years ago is a great example: he has yet to create the whole drawling cowboy persona. It's very different.

This conversation plays out in punk rock circles too-- what gets to be called "punk?" What gets to be called Country? I honestly dont know if it matters that much.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2024 12:39 pm    

Jacob, very insightful. Especially liked “dudebro snap-track”.😎

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2024 4:17 pm    

Agreed mostly, Jacob.
Country is a state of mind, as the cliche goes. It’s traditional sounds and attitudes take you to that little spot in your brain that is equal parts fantasy and nostalgia. Even “3 chords and the truth” isn’t completely accurate. But, If those sounds are missing from the music, it doesn’t hit the spot. Maybe it hits another spot though. Good or bad is in the ear of the listener.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2024 6:36 pm    

If she really wanted to do country, she should have started with a couple of Carter Family, Faron Young, and Wanda Jackson songs.

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2024 8:09 am    

FWIW :

"Beyoncé becomes first Black woman to top Billboard’s Country songs chart with Texas Hold ‘Em "

"Beyoncé's “Texas Hold 'Em” shuffles to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, a week after it debuted at No. 2. The superstar earns her ninth leader on the list, and her first since “Break My Soul” in 2022. "

I've heard it a couple of times , thought it was cool and catchy . Like that banjo in there too . Don't listen to modern country music , except by accident , but how much different is it from what's contemporay C&W ?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2024 12:58 pm    

Quote:
...Don't listen to modern country music , except by accident , but how much different is it from what's contemporay C&W ?

It's not. That's the problem with having the label "country" attached to this kind of stuff and peoples's perspective of what country music really is.

None of this is real country music and only real fans and listeners of real country music know what is.

I blame Garth Brooks and "arena country spectacle" for the beginning of party time music. Nobody really listens to it, it's all about the party scene. If they're not drinkin', whoopin' and hollerin', they won't sit still for it.

I wonder how somebody like Don Williams would fare today.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2024 5:18 pm    

“This ain't Texas (woo), ain't no hold 'em (hey)
So lay your cards down, down, down, down
So park your Lexus (woo) and throw your keys up (hey)
Stick around, 'round, 'round, 'round, 'round (stick around)
And I'll be damned if I can't slow dance with you
Come pour some sugar on me, honey too
It's a real life boogie and a real life hoedown
Don't be a bitch, come take it to the floor now (woo)”

As Billy Bob Thornton would say with his face on as straight as possible,
“Now that’s great songwritin’ there”.

Not that every song I ever loved was a great literary work, but we are talking about a #1 Billboard Country hit, right?

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2024 5:42 pm    

To quote Dale Watson - "Country My A$$!"

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2024 9:32 am    

It’s Country enough for Beyonce and her fans.
Dolly Pardon likes it. She likes just about everybody.
Billboard? I have no explanation. Probably only thinking about anticipated sales.

In the “if nothing else” department-
These songs and this album are sparking a worthy and wide-ranging discussion on country music traditions and who owns bragging rights for their origin and development. That is a positive result, regardless of whether the musicality of the tunes hits your sweet spot or not. I regard promotional commentary like “This will change the direction of the genre forever” as utter nonsense, but I been wrong once er mebbe twice before.

Like most pop music, Country is a melting pot. Ninety percent of it is Total Garbage, the rest is What You Like. I remember when John Denver was not country enough for country fans. John fricking Denver! The girl from Houston probably knew all of this before she sang the first note.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2024 11:05 am    

OK, are we ready to tackle Jelly Roll now?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2024 1:36 pm    

Frank Freniere wrote:

I had a Jelly Roll for breakfast.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2024 1:46 pm    

Frank Freniere wrote:

...Ain't goin' there. Probably said enough already....