The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who's the steeler ?
Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2024 2:43 pm    

On this new production with Gene Watson and the Bellamy Brothers.
Good stuff!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yYPDhdGoEDs&si=-T9nxvC7M9zFlmHB[url][/url]

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2024 4:04 pm    

I believe that is Jim Heep, he's been with the Bellamy Bros for a while

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2024 4:09 pm    

Definitely Jim Heep. The Bellamy Brothers' band is in the video. If it'd been Gene's band, Boo Miller would've been in the video playing his Emmons ReSound '65
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2024 4:19 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLh9UaNBSa8

So is this Boo with Gene in this Emmons promo at the Opry?

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2024 5:14 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLh9UaNBSa8

So is this Boo with Gene in this Emmons promo at the Opry?

Yes. The Emmons Guitar Company brought his Emmons ReSound '65 to him that night and Gene acknowledged them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2024 5:15 pm    

Yeah, cool video with Gene acknowledging them. Thanks Brett.

It's just great to see the re-emergence of Emmons and particularly back to the Grand Ole Opry stage... and with a talent such as Gene Watson.

Great job Boo!

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2024 8:59 pm    

I don't know if it is the lighting or polish, but those are some gorgeous guitars. That purple MSA, wow!, and the red Emmons is some mighty sweet eye candy! Pretty neat to see a instrument manufacturer promoting their stuff with great players on a big show........kinda like they used to do a long time ago.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2024 7:18 am    

Another cool match up is; that is Boo's Wife Lisa Layne that is singing harmony with Gene on the Gene and Bellamy video. Boo now plays Gene Watson gigs; so I'm sure Gene has Lisa come out to sing when she can; as she's that beautiful Red hair woman that has a HUGE number of Albums of her own; sings beyond belief; just go type in "Lisa Layne" on youtube and hear how it's done.
Ricky

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2024 7:28 am    

It's all great. Notice Tommy's Mullen still out front there too.

So nice to see real country music, a real country music artist icon, and lots of steel guitar on the Opry stage where recently, so often it's missing.

We need a lot more of that and a lot less of the other stuff.

Nice job Jim and Boo.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2024 1:56 pm    

Gil James wrote:
I don't know if it is the lighting or polish, but those are some gorgeous guitars. That purple MSA, wow!, and the red Emmons is some mighty sweet eye candy! Pretty neat to see a instrument manufacturer promoting their stuff with great players on a big show........kinda like they used to do a long time ago.

The red Emmons is Bob Hoffnar's steel and they wanted everybody to see what a red Emmons ReSound '65 looks like. Boo Miller's guitar is the black one in the video.

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 2:52 am     Watson & Bellamy’s

hey Ya’ll just dropped in to the forum . haven’t been around in a while and come up on this post !
it’s very humbling to read such comments and back patting ! thank you all very much !
about the Watson duet with The Bellamy’s jim and his band mates were the lucky ones this round as the song was written By the bellamy’s and they invited Gene to record it as a duet ! i think it came off pretty good ! the steel player on the record is actually Paul Franklin however i heard Jim Heep lay it out Live the other night on the IOpry and he nailed it note for note with even a little Jim Heep signature thrown in for good measure ! jim’s MSA and his playing is some of the finest out there !

Ricky Davis , you win the great catch award for recognizing Lisa Layne ( My Wife) in the Video . Lisa was on the opry the weekend that the filmed that video and Stephane Hall was kind enough to invite her to appear in the video . side not .. the video was filmed at the feek farm joey & rory feeks place just outside nashville ! it was a fun day !

Brett Day , you my friend are a wealth of steel guitar community knowledge
i don’t know how you keep up with all of us but we are glad you do ! thank you for the compliment as well !

Gene Watson is still going strong at 80 yrs young . i am very proud that he the guys chose me to fill the steel seat . it’s hard to believe june 19 will be 3 years… he isn’t showing any signs of slowing down so yall check his website and if we are close we would love to see you at a show ! www,Genewatsonmusic.com

special shout out to EmmonsGuitars.com for all they do and providing us with an absolute perfect instrument ! thanks Kelcey & Darrin !

Boo Miller
2022 65 Emmons Resound P/P D10

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 7:02 am    

If I’m not mistaken, Mike Johnson played steel on that, as the video is a pantomime as is done a lot these days.

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 12:51 pm     could be

Ron , could Be however Watson Told me it was Franklin ! i will ask again or maybe Mike or paul will chime in here . i know the video is pantomime as i was there there the day they filmed it !
2022 65 Emmons Resound P/P D10

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 1:50 pm     Re: Watson & Bellamy’s

Al Miller wrote:
hey Ya’ll just dropped in to the forum . haven’t been around in a while and come up on this post !
it’s very humbling to read such comments and back patting ! thank you all very much !
about the Watson duet with The Bellamy’s jim and his band mates were the lucky ones this round as the song was written By the bellamy’s and they invited Gene to record it as a duet ! i think it came off pretty good ! the steel player on the record is actually Paul Franklin however i heard Jim Heep lay it out Live the other night on the IOpry and he nailed it note for note with even a little Jim Heep signature thrown in for good measure ! jim’s MSA and his playing is some of the finest out there !

Ricky Davis , you win the great catch award for recognizing Lisa Layne ( My Wife) in the Video . Lisa was on the opry the weekend that the filmed that video and Stephane Hall was kind enough to invite her to appear in the video . side not .. the video was filmed at the feek farm joey & rory feeks place just outside nashville ! it was a fun day !

Brett Day , you my friend are a wealth of steel guitar community knowledge
i don’t know how you keep up with all of us but we are glad you do ! thank you for the compliment as well !

Gene Watson is still going strong at 80 yrs young . i am very proud that he the guys chose me to fill the steel seat . it’s hard to believe june 19 will be 3 years… he isn’t showing any signs of slowing down so yall check his website and if we are close we would love to see you at a show ! www,Genewatsonmusic.com

special shout out to EmmonsGuitars.com for all they do and providing us with an absolute perfect instrument ! thanks Kelcey & Darrin !

Boo Miller

Boo, thank you for the comment! The video about the Opry, Emmons, and Gene Watson is one of my favorite videos! I had the opportunity to try out an Emmons ReSound '65 and it's one awesome steel guitar!

Lee Barber

Sweeny, TX, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2024 7:28 am    

I have video, not great camera work, but never the less. Boo playing a Shobud Maverick, souped up, and makes it sing. Never thought one could sound so good.
Boo Al Miller is the real deal.

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2024 5:55 pm    

I was told Steve Hinson played steel on it. It's some sweet playing and tone.

Tony