The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Third string breaking on re-stringing
Sam Inglis

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2024 8:28 am    

The last couple of times I have re-strung my MSA, I've blown through three or four third strings. Aftre I have re-string the guitar, the B pedal is way out of whack on the third string, and tries to raise it by a much larger interval than a semitone, and snaps it. So I back off the adjuster and re-string again. Then the adjuster seems to sit just short of a half tone raise for several turns and by the time it's dialled in again it is probably back where it started with the old strings. Any idea what's going on?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2024 9:08 am    

Your replacement strings are probably mis-labeled and actually heavier gauge than indicated.

Sam Inglis

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2024 9:36 am    

I guess that's possible, but I bought a few sets at a time, same make, same gauges and so on.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2024 9:45 am    

Make sure the 3rd string isn't overtuned. Back off the raise nut before you install the string, then tune the string to pitch with the tuning key and gradually turn the raise nut til the pedal gets to pitch. If the string stops raising, you have either run out of threads for the tuning nut, or the string needs more travel.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2024 8:50 pm    

Where is the string breaking?
Could be just a group of bad strings. If the guitar has a key head, If the string is breaking at the key shaft, A rough spot on edge of string through hole could be problem.

If the guitar has a key head, Cut string long enough to wrap enough turns on key shaft to get off the through hole, And onto solid smooth shaft.

Good Luck finding a cure, Happy Steelin.

Sam Inglis

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2024 2:33 am    

Thanks, the strings have been breaking at or behind the nut. I don't think it's either an issue with the strings or the nut. It's that somehow the exact same setup that produces a half tone raise with the old strings suddenly tries to do a much larger raise when the string is changed.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2024 3:14 am    

Odd behavior for sure. Must be a changer, finger, scissors issue. Which era of MSA do you have?

Make sure there's nothing in there such as a string ball end or other obstruction.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2024 4:04 am    

Quote:
It's that somehow the exact same setup that produces a half tone raise with the old strings suddenly tries to do a much larger raise when the string is changed.

Sounds like these are not the same gauge as the ones that were on there before the problem began.

Sam Inglis

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2024 7:47 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Odd behavior for sure. Must be a changer, finger, scissors issue. Which era of MSA do you have?

Make sure there's nothing in there such as a string ball end or other obstruction.

It's an MSA Classic D10 from the early 70s.

Nothing seems to be lodged behind the changer, but as things have now settled down I guess it's possible there was something there that has now fallen out.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2024 5:24 pm    

I believe the keyhead hole where string goes may have a burr or sharp edge somewhere.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2024 7:46 pm    

Might need to tighten the lower return spring just a little .
The lower return spring may be pulling away from lower return stop when you depress the pedal

Some model steels it’s as simple as tightening the lower return springs, other model steels a person needs too shorten the string by cutting a loop or two off
An reform another loop.

Sometimes the wheels on the key head freeze up.
Clean the nut axel an lightly lube.

An a batch of bad strings might be the culprit!

A dirty changer axel can Also cause problems.