The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Foot pedal similar to blender wheels on Stringmasters??
David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2024 7:28 am    

Anyone know of pedal built like a volume pedal that would take 2 inputs and send 2 outputs to 2 different amps, but blend the output in a way similar to how a blender wheel on a Stringmaster blends both pickups - and without effecting output volume. I'm not sure if Stringmaster blender wheels provide a mix of 100%-BRIDGE-PICKUP to 100%-NECK-PICKUP, or just adding NECK PICKUP in varying ammouts to the BRIDGE PICKUP which is always on (if anyone knows that, I'd like hear the answer).

I'd like to take a stereo feed into such a pedal and send the output to 2 amps, one would be a clean amp and the other dirty.

In heel down position all output would go to the clean amp. In toe down position, all output would go to the dirty amp. And in all points in between, a mix would be sent to the 2 amps, in varying degrees - but without effecting volume.

Is that possible??

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2024 7:57 am    

That is a very neat idea!
A drive pedal with an expression pedal may be an easier way to achieve a similar effect.
But that of course wouldn’t be stereo.

You could also test what your idea would sound like if you have two volume pedals — one for each foot — sending the signal to its respective amp Laughing

James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2024 8:23 am    

I have an EHX Next Step Pan pedal that can do what you are describing. No longer made and not expensive.

I have done a lot of experiments with stereo outputs. I wired a hollow-body guitar that has "split" pickups. It can 1) send each pickup to their respective outputs or 2) send treble strings to one output and bass to the other.

I used the panning pedal to do exactly what you describe for the first mode. The second mode is for Chet Atkins style picking that has the thumb playing bass and the fingers playing melody.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2024 10:00 am     Re: Foot pedal similar to blender wheels on Stringmasters??

David DeLoach wrote:
I'm not sure if Stringmaster blender wheels provide a mix of 100%-BRIDGE-PICKUP to 100%-NECK-PICKUP, or just adding NECK PICKUP in varying ammouts to the BRIDGE PICKUP which is always on (if anyone knows that, I'd like hear the answer).

It's the latter...and its in series. So it does effect volume. Best way to think about a stringmaster is that its a humbucker pickup...with blend wheel on full, both coils are on full...as you turn the blend wheel back, it removes the neck pickup from the circuit, finally just leaving the bridge pickup. Like a coil split, but with a pot instead of a switch which gives you the grades in between.

(on a side note...it makes me wonder why we haven't seen, more often, pot-based coil splits on 4 conducter humbucker pickups in general. My personal opinion is it is pretty unnecessary...even on a Stringmaster, I could live with just a miniswitch, I rarely set it at a point between. But from a marketing perspective the idea of an infinite selection of tones between a split single coil and a series humbucker in a new sort of tone pot, I think it would be a selling point for some people. Think a SSH strat...master volume, master tone, bridge pickup coil split pot for the second tone pot)

David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2024 1:52 pm    

Thanks for the explanation of the blender wheel Nic.

Also, that's a cool concept for a pot based coil split on humbuckers.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2024 4:11 pm    

https://www.ernieball.com/guitar-accessories/pedals/volume-pedals#P06165

Would something like this work?
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2024 9:51 pm    

Most SM's just have a pot that shorts the neck pickup... giving a 'blend' of going from both to just bridge.

DeArmond made a stereo volume pedal that can be wired with one side reversed, like a pan pedal... model 1622.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186236615867?chn=ps&srsltid=AfmBOoriJqlhh5fk9ci3OX4IOfJv8u7ZkqmCDUIAiaSpXb-SfWpgsONhWrs

David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2024 4:25 am    

James Mayer wrote:
I have an EHX Next Step Pan pedal that can do what you are describing. No longer made and not expensive.

John Larson wrote:
https://www.ernieball.com/guitar-accessories/pedals/volume-pedals#P06165

Would something like this work?

OK, those my be the answer! Thanks so much!

David

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2024 10:53 am    

Goodrich once made a stereo pan pedal with volume control up and down like normal but with a right/left pan. I have an unused one somewhere that I'd be happy to sell if I can find it.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2024 2:14 pm    

David, looking at your flip-flop blend idea per the diagram, there is no “off point” in the action of the pedal. The combined output would only go from half volume from both amps to full volume from one or the other. Is that really what you want?