The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New image Hilton pedal with reverb
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2024 7:26 pm    

One other thing about inventors: If it were not for Thomas Edison we would be watching television in the dark! Laughing

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2024 7:50 pm    

Too bad there's not a pot that has a 3/16 hex shaft. We could use our tuning driver. Another thought, is there a splined screw driver that will fit a splined pot shaft? I know they make a tiny one for tuning chainsaw carburators.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jack Wilson

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2024 8:10 am     Hilton volume pedal with reverb

I play Fender 2 channel amps, pedal steel in normal channel and Tele in vibrato channel. I use a reverb stomp box for the normal channel because it doesn't have reverb. I tried out Keith's volume pedal with reverb and it sounded great. I found a reverb setting that I liked, and it would make life easier because one less power supply and patch cords. I told him when I find a reverb setting I like, on an amp or stomp box, I never change it.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2024 9:02 am    

I'm more likely to change my reverb setting if playing in a large room with no acoustic materials compared to a smaller room that is carpeted and has other acoustics soaking up the sound.
Is there such a pot that has a very short or subdued metal slotted shaft? Similar to a trim pot?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2024 2:05 pm    

Thanks for trying the pedal Jack, glad you liked it.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2024 2:13 pm    

On the other hand, a very short shaft could be made by cutting it off and leave enough stem to cut a slot. This would alleviate the chance of it getting bumped from it's setting. I can't think of any other way?

Phillip Hermans

Berkeley, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2024 3:21 pm    

This is really cool! I am always trying to find ways to simplify my rig.

A question about the signal flow of the prototype, if I understand correctly it is:

Guitar pickup -> pre-amp -> reverb -> voltage control (volume pedal)

Does the reverb have its own path to the output jack of the pedal?

Because it seems to me if I played a note and then closed the volume pedal to 0, I would have no output and therefore no reverb tail. Is this the behavior of the prototype?

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2024 7:12 pm    

Phillip, I will try to answer you questions. The signal path you described is correct. Guitar to pre-amp, to reverb, to voltage control of the signal.
You asked this:
"Does the reverb have its own path to the output jack of the pedal?"
Answer: Yes, its own path, just like a amplifier reverb, or stomp box reverb. The guitar signal is mixed with the reverb signal at the reverb stage of the circuit. One control knob controls how much reverb is mixed with the pure guitar signal---from zero reverb to a bunch of reverb. If you turned the reverb wide open, you would hear more reverb signal than the pure guitar signal. So the reverb has it's own signal path to the output, that can be controlled by the mix knob. Just like the reverb knob on a amplifier, or stomp box reverb.
You said: "Because it seems to me if I played a note and then closed the volume pedal to 0, I would have no output and therefore no reverb tail. Is this the behavior of the prototype?"
Answer: If you pushed your volume pedal to have zero volume, why would you want a reverb ringing? Think of it this way: The volume pedal with the reverb circuit inside works exactly like a normal volume pedal, and like the normal reverb on an amplifier. All I have done is put a reverb inside the volume pedal. The volume pedal controls volume like it always did, and the reverb works like it always did on a amplifier, or stomp box. Only difference is the reverb is in the volume pedal and not on a amplifier, or a stomp box reverb.
Basically every thing is the same, except the reverb is inside the pedal. The benefit of the reverb being inside the pedal is the following: There are amplifiers that don't have reverb, or a reverb channel. You eliminate running cables and power to a floor mount reverb stomp box. Nothing mysterious or crazy about the reverb in the pedal--everything operates like you are used to a reverb operating.

Ted Tonjes

Hoogland - The Netherlands - Europe
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2024 3:18 am     Great Idea

I still have and use my two Hilton Volume pedals and still love them. So I'm very interested in this new product.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2024 11:04 pm    

I have a full pedalboard, but my "grab 'n go" setup is a volume pedal and a reverb, straight into the PA through a DI....and that actually is just fine for a surprisingly large percentage of gigs...so the question isn't "how can you make this more complicated"., as some are asking...it is "do you want a single uint that addresses a whole lot of gigs and fits in your picket?"

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2024 1:24 pm    

Steve, I totally agree with everything you said. It can fill a need, like you described. Running straight into the PA, without hooking up any extra guitar cables, or a extra power supply to a reverb unit.

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2024 6:24 pm    

Following this. Very interesting!!

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 1 Apr 2024 8:23 pm    

I am finishing up building Jack Wilson a pedal with reverb. Jack wants it because one of his amplifiers is an old Fender amp that only has reverb on one channel. He has been using a reverb pedal on the channel that does not have reverb. The advantage Jack sees is not having a separate power supply, or battery, for the separate reverb pedal. The Hilton pedal is powering the reverb from inside inside the pedal. To me the reverb sounds like a Fender spring reverb. Wiring has cleaned up since the first build in the picture at the start of this post. I think I am the first to put a reverb inside a volume pedal.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2024 11:34 am    

Do you have a price point figured out yet Keith?

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2024 7:55 pm    

Thanks for the question John. I am not to the point of figuring the cost of adding the reverb. I am just doing some Proto-Types now, to eliminate any bugs down the road. Jack Wilson's pedal with reverb is a Proto-Type. I will try to post a picture of it soon. Jack said he would report back after he uses the pedal. Jack tried my first build at my place, but I did not let him have it. Jack will get to take this new pedal home and use it on some jobs. Maybe Jack will report the results here on the Forum.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2024 6:49 am    

This type of boruns trim pot would be an option with a hole drilled in the side of the chassis. I would think most steel players keep a small screwdriver in their tools kit.

Or this 9mm style trimmer for a more tooless option.

Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 12:54 pm    

You know whats funny.. I LOVE reading the directions... as I get older I keep realizing that I am indeed the outlier!

That little pot that John put up I have in a WHA pedal... they seem to be a good choice for tiny spaces but PLEASE label them clearly. Laughing if you use them.. every pedal I have had that has them in there doesnt label any of them clearly.. and my eyes are generally pretty good!

This volume pedal with verb is a very cool idea... Im still old school tube amp reverb lover but having a nice delay in there would be great... thats for sure.. anything that makes my setup easier... and I do enjoy having delay there.

Within the last year I changed my setup quite a bit and now its pretty easy to have a carbon copy mini in my chain.. but having something right there all the time with no extra setup WOULD be amazing.. I have to look into this more.. I guess even having a "differnt" reverb would be cool... I only skimmed so ill look more but I didnt see if it had verb choices...

I.E. I've never heard a digital "spring" reverb that comes close to my actual tube driven reverbs in my amps.. but having a hall or plate verb choice for VERY long decay would be interesting if it was right there on tap.

I love the inventiveness no matter what! Maybe next you can team up with Peterson and build in a Peterson tuner right into the pedal like the Ernie Ball VP jr. is doing.. it's BRILLIANT! (Im using it for guitar and there are some things I'd change on the Ernie volume pedal.. but I hope others start making competing devices.. I'm sure they will )

but I digress... meant to basically say..

COOL!

Very Happy

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2024 7:38 pm    

Lots of syntehsizer manufacturers do this kind of thing where the trimmers are inside the chassis with a hole for screwdriver access. Set it and forget it.

Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Jack Wilson

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 6:30 am     review

I picked up Keith's reverb volume pedal prototype and it meets my needs for my setup. I play pedal steel and guitar at gigs and use a Tone Master Twin because it has two channels so I can EQ each instrument different. The normal channel on the Tone Master doesn't have reverb, so I was using a reverb stomp box for that channel. One more thing to carrier and hook up. I set the reverb knob on the Tone Master 3 1/2 and never change it, so after I found the setting I like on Keith's pedal I will not be changing it. This volume pedal also runs on 9V, which I also like a lot.

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 7:25 am    

Jack, thank you for the review. If you will remember Jack, I ask you what type of reverb you thought this was most like. You said like the spring reverb in an older amplifier. Like reverb in an amplifier, there is only one control knob. There are many types of reverb. Some reverb boxes have many adjustment knobs. I hesitate building this reverb in pedals for customers, unless a person understood that it is like the reverb on an amplifier, one adjustment. In other words--- more reverb or less reverb.