The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SKB 3614-6 case VS pelican 1700 VS SKB Drum hardware case
Jonathan Cox

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2024 12:45 pm    

Hey,

I am searching for some insight here if anyone can help. I'm about to fly a few times for some tours, one of them is a European tour and I have narrowed my flight case down to 3 options. The SKB drum hardware case meets all of the airlines size and weight requirements but doesn't seem to protect the guitar as well from what I've read. I have a Sho bud pro 1 S10. The case can not exceed 62 linear inches. The only Pelican model that meets these airline requirements might not be deep enough to protect/fit my guitar coming to 6.14" and the SKB (3614-6) equivalent which is deep enough is .69" over the 62" linear limit.

In other people's experience, are they as strict as it sounds about these requirements? I don't want to get screwed with the extra fees. And does anyone use the pelican 1700 for an S10/is it deep enough?

Thanks!!
Jon

Last edited by Jonathan Cox on 14 Jan 2024 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2024 1:20 pm    

One issue that can really get ya when flying around (especially overseas) is the 50 lb weight limit. Not so much because of the baggage fees, but because if the flight is sold out and they're near their weight capacity they can just say no to anything over 50 lbs. Then you're really in a pickle.

The other tip I'd have for you is to put airtags in your cases. That's saved me a couple times where the airport employees thought they didn't have my cases when they did.

Ellen Angelico

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2024 5:17 pm    

I fly with the SKB 3614 all the time and haven't had a problem. They always check the weight but haven't ever measured the case.

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2024 7:07 am    

As was mentioned, the 50lb limit is crucial as well. I have flown my Emmons SKH a few times and here is what I did. Not simple, but it worked.

I have an SKB drum hardware case that I have installed stiff foam in and carved to fit the steel. This is my everyday case that I use for gigs. When flying, all that goes into this case is the steel body and the bare pedal bar, with the pedals removed. This comes in right at 50lb.

Then, I have an old rigid Samsonite large suitcase that contains the legs, the pedals, pedal rods, volume pedal, cables, tuner, etc. And my clothes. This also comes in right at 50lb.

Now, this works because I have a short keyhead Emmons. I also have a normal keyhead Legrand and it is a bit too long for the SKB case.

Bill Davis

Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2024 10:22 am    

I use an SKB trap case for my sho bud pro 1. Same one you are talking about I think. I had to build it out a little with a couple of wood blocks and some foam. Works fine for me. Holds the steel snug. It is under 50 lbs but I carry the legs in another case.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 2:10 pm    

Ive been using the SKB Trap case (suitably lined with high density foam) for quite a few years now for my Zum D10's for when I fly.
The case with just the body in it goes around 21 KGs -- (23kgs = 50lb) and I usually put the pedal bar and legs/rods in my bag with my clothes.
The big advantage of the SKB Trap case is it's light weight (and wheels), and internal strapping .. some of the Pelican stuff is just too heavy as an empty case.
Just back in Oct/Nov I flew from NZ to Ireland and back with no issues :-}
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Jonathan Cox

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2024 6:07 pm     Cases

Thanks so much for the replies and advice everybody!! It seems like both SKB cases mentioned are under 50lbs with an S10 so my main concern is if these airlines are ever strict about the SKB case being 1 inch over the linear 62” max.

If anyone else has experience or knowledge about how they do or don’t crack down about this, it would be much appreciated!

Jon

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2024 11:02 pm    

Jon, the SKB trap cases come in several lengths.

The SKB H3611 ATA trap case interior measures 36.75” x 11.75” x 7.75” and should easily hold most D-10 or S-10 pedal steels.
https://www.skbcases.com/products/v-series-3611-case
Click on "Download Product Sheet".

The two wheels each take up about 2.63" length and 2" width from the interior of the case.
Subtracting 2.63" from the 36.75” length leaves about 0.8" free space in the SKB H3611 case for my 33" long Emmons D-10--which is all you need.

I carry my pedal bar, legs, and rods in a separate keyboard bag; the SKB case with just the D-10 body in it weighs 49 lbs.
Of course, an S10 will weigh much less.

- Dave

Jonathan Cox

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2024 2:06 pm     SKB 3614 case

Great to know that if I end up going with the SKB drum hardware case it would fit the weight and linear measurement requirement!

But I’m really hoping to make the SKB 3614 work because its waterproof and stronger overall/would do a better job protecting the guitar. If anyone else flys with the 3614, I would love to hear about how that’s going!

Jon

SKB 3614

Nick Levine

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2024 11:27 am    

Echoing Ellen. In my experience, airline staff are just gonna put your guitar on the scale to make sure it's under 50lbs and then tag it. Maybe they cock their head a little to ask what you have in there thinking that it might be a rifle, but that's all. I have one of the SKB cases you're talking about and have flown with it countless times with no issue. IMO it's a much better candidate for a good tight fit for an S10 than the drum hardware case. Have a good tour.

Paddy Long

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2024 5:29 pm    

Jonathon this is the case you need !! You will have to line it out with suitable high density foam, but once you have that sorted it's a bewt!

I did replace the plastic/carbon handle axles with stainless steel bolts and nylock nuts - but otherwise they are plenty bulletproof !
I have flown regularly for the last ten years or more with my Zum D10's and this case has never let me down yet.

https://www.skbcases.com/products/v-series-3611-case

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2024 11:26 am     Re: SKB 3614-6 case VS pelican 1700 VS SKB Drum...

Jonathan Cox wrote:
...The case can not exceed 62 linear inches. The only Pelican model that meets these airline requirements might not be deep enough to protect/fit my guitar coming to 6.14" and the SKB (3614-6) equivalent which is deep enough is .69" over the 62" linear limit...
Thanks!! Jon

Jon,
I agree with Paddy--I have found the SKB 3611 case to be very sturdy.
However if you want the SKB 3614 design (which looks perhaps even sturdier), have you considered the SKB 3I-3614-6B-E iSeries 3614-6 Waterproof Case which is 39" long (exterior)--well below your 69" limit?
Interior dimensions are: 36.5" L. x 14.5" W x 6" D.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/3i36146BE--skb-iseries-3614-6-waterproof-case

- Dave

Paddy Long

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2024 5:58 pm    

Hi Dave, that 3614-6 case would be fine for a S10 .. but they weigh a good bit more than the 3611 ... I fly with my Zum D10's (9 knees) so the 3611 is the perfect weight to stay under that 50lb/23kg limit most airlines have.
From SKB: 3614-6 product weight 15.39lbs
3611 product weight 11.73lbs

It looks like the 3614-6 is mil spec too -- I guess it would depend on the guitar your flying with.

Last edited by Paddy Long on 13 Feb 2024 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2024 9:27 am    

I just got a second 3614-6 and have been extremely happy with both. My only caution, besides making sure you're okay with the weight, is that I found that I couldn't get my fatback push-pull to fit without pulling out all the bottom foam which kinda defeats part of the purpose of the case. So, do be sure you consider your guitar's measurements before buying.

My Mullen G2 and Legrande D-10s both fit fine - they just need different sizes of foam for the endplates.