The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  good buy? Fender Twin
Ben Feldman

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 10:45 am    

Been thinking about getting a fender twin or a tube amp of some kind...

Is this one a good purchase? I know nothing about the different models or how to appraise the condition

https://spokane.craigslist.org/msg/d/moscow-fender-65-twin-reverb-amp-anvil/7706833173.html

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 12:36 pm    

I think that is a more recent 1965 re-issue. 700 with a anvil case working correctly and in good cosmetic condition is a pretty good price. But, i wouldnt count on these heavy amps appreciating in value. The percentage of buyers drops every year - figuratively and literally. But i love big iron, as long as i can manage it. Oh, and id sell the anvil case if you arent touring. It just makes it heavier and bulkier to handle.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 3:58 pm    

If you’re looking for nice tube amp, I have an excellent Carvin 100 watt tube amp with 6L6’s with or without 15 inch speaker for about half that price.
Dave 🙂

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 4:24 pm    

Twin-Reverb is a fine steel amp, but monstrously heavy in combo form. What a lot of folks(including yours truly) have done is to mount the chassis and reverb tank in an aftermarket Showman cab and mate it with some kind of speaker. My bathroom scale says the head-cab-plus-chassis is 35 pounds which is much more do-able. Here's a pic of the whole rig. Speaker cab's a Bassman clone.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 8:51 am    

'65 Twin reverb reissues are among the least consistent amps you'll find. Some sound good, but many are terrible. Which is strange because the '65 Deluxe is one of the most consistently good sounding amps Fender has made since the 70's.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 10:45 am    

Brett said:
Quote:

'65 Twin reverb reissues are among the least consistent amps you'll find. Some sound good, but many are terrible. Which is strange because the '65 Deluxe is one of the most consistently good sounding amps Fender has made since the 70's.

I can’t speak for the deluxe but agree with the twins of this era. Fender also had the custom 15 model around that time and many experienced issues. I was fortunate and didn’t experience any issues with the one I had and it sounded nice. (Altho no comparison to my ‘76 Vibrosonic 🙂) Two friends had to return theirs for issues to be addressed. Seems cold solder joints on circuit boards and plate voltage were inconsistent and problematic. That imitation JBL 15 added a lot of weight!

Dave 🙂

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2024 8:55 am    

that's not a good buy.

you should be able to get a silverface 70s era twin for that price, which is much easier to work on and modify.

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 4:12 pm     Buy both sell the amp

If I understand correctly, the ad this is for the amp and case, the case alone is worth half the price. If I were in the market for this week's hernia special I'd buy them with an eye to moving to an older twin when the newer one craps out.

Just my thoughts!
Good luck