The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sarno Revelation + Straight Ahead
Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 8:41 am    

Ok, after a lot of research I've decided to go with the Revelation and the Jay Ganz power amp.
I would like to hear from players using this set up
For some tips. It seems the Revelation can take some doing to get the settings right and I noticed the Ganz power amp has a volume control on it?
Any advice is appreciated
Thx

Danny Harrell

Livingston, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 1:44 pm    

Hi Kevin,
I recently bought a Revelation Preamp and like it a lot, I'm still working with it to get my tone. As far as Jay Ganz's Straight Ahead Power Amp, I own 4. They are small, light weight, and powerful. Those have been my primary power amps for a few years now. I find that the power amp doesn't affect my tone at all, Good luck, I think you have a good setup. Brad Sarno and Jay Ganz are the best to deal with also!

Here is a clip of my rig with the Straight Ahead Amp.

https://youtu.be/XPsKRLV6Hc0?si=W_rNxuvKLZMY-7Fe

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 4:16 pm    

Like Danny, I found that the Straight Ahead Amp does not really add any coloration to the Rev's tone. The amp is very transparent.

The gain on the Rev will bring some hair up... really all the hair I need on a regular basis. However, it won't go into "heavy hair." I use the Sarno Earth Drive in the loop of the Rev if I want to go there.

The "Steel Guitar Black Box" circuit with it's variable impedance ("Vari-Z™") pickup loading tone control can offer a lot of tone control especially when adding adjustments from the EQ knobs and the sweep-able mid-range (Color) control. The color control interacts with the treble and some trial and error experimentation was necessary for me to "get it." The bright/normal/dark switch can have an impact as well, especially when recording direct. The stereo-parallel effects loop was the hardest thing for me to get my head around. The mix knob for the effects loop can have an impact on things, as well. I found it helpful to turn effects from my Empress EchoSystem Delay and Reverb up and then tame them with the Rev's mix knob.

I braided the three cable set-up to reduce any chance of interference. I also experimented with different signal paths and was not disappointed.

The Rev is a little deep but it is nothing you can't dial in quickly.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2024 6:38 pm    

Sarno Revelation + Ganz Straight Ahead + a pair of Paul Franklin PF350 speakers is my favorite rig ever.

Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2024 10:39 am    

OK, thanks for the info guys. Should have mine in a week or 2. Going to use a straight ahead power amp into 2 12" Eminence EM12N speakers.
I understand dealing with the Revelation settings can be be a bit daunting at first so any tips would be appreciated. Also any advice on using the Ganz power amp with it.
Thx again, Kevin