The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Favorite preamp?
Mark S. Miller

Depew, NY, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 7:34 pm    

John And Steve What is your Favorite reverb unit with this set up.

Also, right out of the box is there a big difference between
Jay Gans and the 202 with the Sesh I have the 202 and just received the Sesh not complaining. Sound great. I am thinking sound may be different just being powder amp and nothing else. Yes No? I also understand you might not be able to answer that question. Thanks in advance.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 8:25 pm    

I use a pedal preamp, delay and reverb into a 201 through the effects loop and get a tube warmth from the Quilter. I make use of the voice selector along with the mid and the High Cut controls. I'm guessing the same would apply with 202 controls?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2024 7:27 am     ...well...

Mark S. Miller wrote:
John And Steve What is your Favorite reverb unit with this set up.

Also, right out of the box is there a big difference between
Jay Gans and the 202 with the Sesh I have the 202 and just received the Sesh not complaining. Sound great. I am thinking sound may be different just being powder amp and nothing else. Yes No? I also understand you might not be able to answer that question. Thanks in advance.

Mark,

I like the Catalinbread"Topanga"reverb with the Ganz-closest thing I've ever heard to a Fender tube reverb...

The way to use the 400 with the 202 is to go through the effects loop and flip the"voicing"switch to FRFR,come out of the out on the 400 into the"Return"on the front of the 202,and plug a"dummy"plug into the"Send"(I use a George L right angle plug),and set all the EQ knobs on the 202 to 12 o'clock...experiment with the"Gain"and"Master"on the 202 till you find what you are looking for...the reverb in the 202 sounds real good and is convenient,but not as good as the Topanga.Hope you can decipher all tis-I just got up...

SH