The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looper into mixer problem
Robert W Wilson

Palisade, Western Colorado
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 11:03 am    

Hello,

I am using the record out of a mixer into a stereo Boss RC5 loop Station. The output of the RC5 comes back into the mixer through a stereo playback channel. I saved a Youtube audio track in the RC5 through the board, from a laptop going into a different stereo channel.

Playback is perfectly clean when I raise a fader to a point and then an ear splitting explosion from the pa speaker. With the mains turned barely up the explosive sound is still maximum. No gradual change, goes from clean to wrecked instantly. The pa speaker is self powered and working normally.

My purpose was to be able to record/playback/loop anything feeding the mixer. Recording with a laptop is a pain, especially with finger picks.

Perhaps someone has a solution. Probably should just get a dedicated recorder.

Thanks!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 7:41 pm    

.edit

Last edited by Fred Treece on 6 Jan 2024 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 9:23 pm    

It sounds like feedback... when you get above unity gain it runs away. You're not going to be able to mix the looper output back into the mixer... you'll need to split it up, like run the looper playback through the monitor send or something.

I had a similar type mix-up once... wiring a studio up, I wasn't aware that a patch panel had been 'normalled', that the tip-ring were shorted when nothing was plugged in. Burned up a Urei graphic EQ with that mistake... for some reason the red LED would come on when any slider was above the middle 0dB setting. Live and learn!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 9:38 pm    

I deleted my earlier post after I drew a diagram of the signal flow. The connection from the RC5 to the stereo playback channel on the mixer would be an output-to-output connection, wouldn’t it? That’s going to loop the loop until it hits a threshold and then boom.

Robert W Wilson

Palisade, Western Colorado
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2024 5:54 pm    

Unplugging the input to the looper during playback solved it. Although I had the record buss that fed the looper "not" receiving the playback signal, it found its way back in somehow. And feedback above unity is exactly correct. It wasn't confined to the youtube audio track either. Guitar and keyboard loops blew up as well, they just weren't as hot as the youtube track from the PC.

Man was it loud! Other than my shorts, no apparent component damage 😐! More study or a more deluxe mixer required. Thanks Stephen and Fred!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2024 9:54 pm    

👍
Excellent, Robert. Glad you were able to fix the problem.