The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Modelers and Power Amps
Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2024 12:00 pm    

What modelers and power amps are people using on their rigs in place of a combo amp? I'm going to try this type of setup and need a starting point. Just using a pedal board into a Milkman Amp 100 with a speaker cab now. Recommendations?

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2024 7:26 pm    

The Strymon Iridium is good from what I've heard.

Tony

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2024 6:12 am    

Steve, I’d encourage you to send Joe Rogers an email or PM. He’s been waste deep in programming several amp modelers and amplification for quite some time and has been able to achieve some amazing results, including duplicating most every one of our favorite steel amps. He’s a walking encyclopedia of amp modelers.
Dave 🙂

James Meloan

Williamsport, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2024 8:59 am    

Steve,
I recently got a Fractal Audio FM3, mostly for guitar, but have been fussing around with setting up some steel profiles on it.
I'm really impressed with the depth of the settings on this unit. It does take some tweaking to get a good clean sound, but its doable.

Forum member Greg Cutshaw has made some useful posts about dialing in a good sound for steel on Fractal rigs:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=376761&sid=eeda197825cd807520838a51a549dfa8

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2024 11:47 am    

If your combo amp has an fx loop you can connect a modeler unit to the return, bypassing the combo’s preamp and going straight to the power section. Or, if there is a power amp input on it. Either way, the only operable controls on the combo would be a master volume and graphic EQ. I did this for years with Boss COSM amps and a Mesa Boogie combo with good results. Great if you don’t quite have a Fractal/Kemper budget.

You could also look around for a used Tech 21 Power Engine 60, if you are looking for a bargain in a powered speaker. I used it for a while with pedal steel and the Boss unit. No complaints.