The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen G2 3rd string E9 SIT strings
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 4:38 pm    

I cannot keep a G# string from breaking. I changed my strings today and have already broke 2 new strings. Is there a better recommended string brand for the Mullen G2? I guess I should try the Mullen strings maybe? on past guitars I might break one 3rd string in 6-8 string changes but this seems ridiculous to happen so much on the G2.. recommendations or similar experiences appreciated! thanks

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 4:45 pm    

Where are the strings breaking at, Changer Finger, Key head or just any where on the string?

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 4:47 pm    

looks to be key head

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 5:12 pm    

I would suspect a burr on the hold in the tuning key OR maybe you are wrapping a string over itself, thus creating a sharp edge to cut through the string.

You did not say how long you have had your G2 and whether this has always been a problem or just started.

I can tell you, the folks at Mullen are always willing to help solve problems. You might want to give them a call.

Just my opinion.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 5:31 pm    

If the string is breaking at the key head.
Check the edges of the cross hole in the tuner shaft for sharp burrs. Be sure to cut the string long enough to allow enough wraps to wind over and off the hole and onto solid round shaft.

Be Careful. In my younger days. I short wound a 3rd string on stage one night at a gig. Next day I was practicing a song for night show. The string broke at the key head. It wrapped across my left hand and buried to the bone in my right ring finger. Ouch, I had to pull it out.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 5:36 pm    

Thanks everyone I will check these ideas out!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 6:49 pm    

Karen, I had the same problem with my G2 last year. I was using the S.I.T. Emmons E9 set (and I still use use them).

I broke two .011's in a row, and I thought I might have a bad batch of strings... so I tried a different brand of string and that one broke too! Then I thought there must be a burr in the tuner shaft hole, although I couldn't see or feel a burr. So I ordered a new tuner from Mullen, installed it, put a string on... and it broke! Surprised

Here's how I "fixed" the problem. I wrap a lot of string around the shaft, way more than would normally be necessary. And I wind most of it on the side of the shaft that’s next to the keyhead. Problem fixed. I've changed the strings about six times since then without any problem at all.

Try wrapping the string as shown in the picture. One time around the left side of the part sticking out (as seen in the picture) and the rest of the string on the other side. I use almost the entire string. I just clip off a little bit before putting it on. The string will line up straight with the Roller for string 3 when you wrap it as shown in the photo. I think that, plus the many windings help to minimize breakage.

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2023 3:25 am    

Using an .011, I've always wrapped mine as Doug said & pictured and never had any breakage issues.

Good Luck!

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2023 9:00 am    

I wrap mine like Doug said and never had one break yet, at least at the key head...

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2023 9:21 am    

There is a video on the Mullen website, in the "How To Videos" section on their recommendation for the 3rd string winding.

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2024 11:51 am    

I string mine like Doug also, mabey not quite so many wraps. Just make sure visually that string is pulling strait off the peg though.

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2024 8:52 am    

Please watch this video and you should have no problems.

https://youtu.be/zkdbQOwvi8w

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2024 10:48 am    

Have you tried using 12's?