The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question About Heavier Cable For Quilter Amps
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 10:49 am    

Some of you have suggested heavier cable for Quilter amps. What brand or type did you use? Some suggested D'Addario. Which D'Adarrio? Will the solderless D'Addario cables serve this purpose? Will a Sarno Black Box or a Goodrich Matchbox 60 serve the same purpose or do you prefer the cable change?
The reason I ask about the solderless cable is because I have used the George L solderless cables for many years and like the ease of building cables. I have a 202 head and a Steelaire rack mount and am not getting the full sound I want with either. I doubt it's the speaker because I have 3 different 15" speakers.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 12:39 pm    

I use D’Addario Planet Waves cable and a Sarno Freeloader in front of my 202. George L cable seems to accentuate the highs. Planet Waves solderless connectors are as easy to use as the George L. As for a Black Box, it may work better for you than the Freeloader, but I didn’t want something else to plug in, and the Freeloader is right at your fingertips when attached to a guitar leg. And, it does what I need for it to.

Danny Sherbon

San Angelo, TX
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 12:43 pm     Too much highs?

Here's what I did to tame the highs on my Mach 3.

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guitar-amps-gizmos/94596-capacitor-trick-superblock-us-3-values-compared-audio.html

I just soldered in an ordinary 1/4 plug the a 75 and another plug with a 32. Plugged it into the return and it sure helped with the highs. I like the 75 best but they are only like $.50 each so I tried a couple. I also use D'Addarrio solderless.
Very inexpensive trick.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 1:33 pm    

I appreciate the advice. I got a gift certificate to an internet music supply, so I may try the D'Addario cable. Sure hate to switch, I have gobs of the George L ends, but it might be time for a change. Danny, I'll read your blurb also.
I have a Black Box and a Goodrich Match Box 60 but at my age and back condition I too am looking for light weight and simplicity. I sold my Freeloader because of the having the other two devices.

Danny Sherbon

San Angelo, TX
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 3:13 pm     Not Old

I heard Johnny Cox play through a Travis Toy Tone block 202 and it sounded so good that got one and it sounds totally different than the Mach3. It has a much warmer sound. And like you I’m trying to lighten the load.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2023 7:04 am    

Danny, I've been using the D'Adarrio solder-less plugs for a long time now and love them ... Also, with the 202 either on my desk or on the side of my SteelersChoice Seat, I'm using the D'Addario Speaker Cables as my Cabinets are several feet away.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2023 10:12 am    

Stop.

Just to be clear, are you asking about:
a) Instrument cables, or
b) Speaker cables?

Reading your initial post/question more than once, I'm not sure.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2023 5:20 pm    

Instrument cable. I've got D'Addarios on order.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2023 6:18 pm    

Danny, with only a minimum knowledge of electronics, I do know that there are several types and manufacturers of capacitors. The one I’m most familiar with is the Orange Cap. Are these acceptable for this use?

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 8:20 am    

Doesn't the tone control a a Matchbox 60 accomplish the same results? Or a Freeloader? Tone control on your guitar? I use a Broughton Low Pass Filter mini pedal that adjusts the amount of high end roll-off and get great results taming those peaks.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 11:33 pm    

I got the first Tone Block 202 that came in our area. I went with the 202 and a 15 inch Eminence EPS-15C, Made a 25lb amp. I had the problem with small cables and went to D' Addario cables.
I wondered about how good D'Addario when I was ready to order them. There was a picture I saw of the new Emmons reissue Boo Miller is playing for Gene Watson, Sticking out of the guitar was one of the D'Addario plugs.
I got them and no regrets. The way the screw has a shoulder so it can not be tightened to deep, And short out the wires in the plug. More elements in the line means Something that can go bad and more batteries or wall warts to deal with.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 11:47 am    

Got the cable kit today. Will build some soon & give it a shot.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 4:53 pm    

"Question About Heavier Cable For Quilter Amps"

I assume you mean a heavier cable to tame the highs a little? If that's the case, what you need is not especially a "bigger" cable, but a longer cable. Coaxial cable has a certain capacitance per foot, and that capacitance reduces the highs; more feet = more capacitance and less highs. (That's true for any cable) Try using a 15 or 20 foot cable instead of a shorter one to take off that "edge" and give you a fuller and rounder tone. Winking

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 7:40 am    

I assembled the cables. A short one guitar to pedal, a short one pedal to Dd3 & a 10 foot one to the amp. I’m not hearing much difference, maybe a little less icepicky highs but I sure like the cables otherwise. Will give them a try at a gig soon.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 8:31 am    

Danny. You should have kept that Sarno Freeloader!

I'm sure it would be just the ticket.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 4:56 pm    

Lee, I couldn’t tell much difference in it from a Goodrich Matchbox 60 & I had two of those. One has since broken. I also have a couple of Black Boxes. The Quilters just don’t seem to have the fullness of my Nashville 112 or my Sarno Classic. I’m 75 with an old back injury. Just trying to lighten up & simplify & guess I’m a sucker for the latest new thing. I hope I’m about to get over that. Music room is stuffed.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 9:57 pm    

Danny, Same here. I'm 75 and have been experimenting with lighter weight gear. Also, a house full of the old reliable heavy gear that nobody wants.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 11:55 pm    

I hear you, Lightening equipment.
I started about 3 or 4 years ago lightening equipment, From MSA to GFI guitar. Peavy Nashville 400 to TB 202 and light 15" speaker. Now to find a lighter seat. Turned 80 in October.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2024 7:58 pm    

R guitar cables I use planet Waves. I ised to use George L but got tired of repairing the ends. For speaker cable for my cabs, I made my own using 12awg and good quality mono 1/4 inh plugs.
www.daddario.com/nyxl
www.bjsbars.com