The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Flying w/ PSG?
Wyatt Moran

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 2:26 pm    

Hi Yall!

Curious if anyone has tips or tricks for flying with their steel. Have had a few fly dates over the past year and have been shipping my secondary guitar for them, which I think is safer than checking it on a plane or something similar. Just costs a lot of money. Do folks have flight cases for their guitars? Can you get them gate checked like a regular electric? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Nick Levine

Bloomfield, NJ
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2023 11:13 am    

I’m not sure shipping is any safer, it’s gonna get tossed around either way.
The problem with most heavy duty flight cases is that they are heavy, and once your steel in the case is over 50lbs you’ll have to pay extra ($100 often) to check it. I think a molded plastic flight case is the way, like an SKB or a Pelican. I’ve flown a lot with an S-10 in this one and it’s served me well: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/3i36146BL--skb-iseries-3614-6-waterproof-case-with-layered-foam

Also, if Southwest is ever an option, go for it, as the first two checked bags are free, and if you need to check three it’s $75 (on United for example this would be $35 for the first, $45 for the second, *$150* for the third).

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2023 8:09 pm    

Any way we ship a steel guitar, Its a crap shoot.
Fellow forum member Joe Barcus shipped a guitar from WV to Texas for him to play a tour of shows with.
It was shipped either Fed-X or UPS.
When he picked the guitar up in Texas, The guitar had a busted pickup. The guitar had been dropped and it broke the bottom plate at the mounting screws holes, The pickup flopped around and done some damage to the guitar.
They had to rent a steel in Texas for the tour.
It was in a local shop here in WV, For a month or more, Before a pickup was found, Shipped and replaced.
Shipping insurance covered the damage, But it took time.

If a guitar is in the case with lid pointing up, The pickups weight is hanging and suspended by its mounting screws. If the guitar is dropped, The weight of the pickup will break and tear something up.

Ellen Angelico

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2023 9:23 pm    

Highly recommend a molded plastic case like the SKB iSeries with a customized interior. I believe they also offer the iSeries with cubed foam so you can cut it out to your own specifications. I fly with my GFI all the time in an iSeries case and haven't had a problem checking it yet. It goes "oversize" about half the time, and the wheels and handles are super convenient.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2023 9:53 pm    

Great info.
Thanks!

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2023 10:26 pm    

Those of you who use an SKB molder case, could you please post a pic of what it looks like inside, with your steel and legs packed? I'm really curious. Thanks!

Ellen Angelico

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2023 6:52 pm    

Here's mine. I'm lucky to live in Nashville where there are a million companies that will do custom foam for cases. It's a near perfect fit and when you shake the case, the steel doesn't flop around. I have a GFI Expo S-10. It and the case are 45 pounds. If I recall correctly, the SKB model number is 3i-3614.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 11:42 am    

Slightly off topic, but I find that when I fly my S-10 Emmons, which weighs in at 53lbs in the original Thomas case, that if I purchase a checked bag when I check in for the flight the day before and print my boarding pass and bag tag (for the guitar) at the kiosk then take the guitar up to the counter, no one has ever made me pay an additional fee to fly it, and that's several different airlines including Spirit which is down to 40lbs for a checked bag.
I probably just jinxed myself.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 12:58 pm    

Ive always used my SKB drum stand trapcase ....I lined it with foam, and have carted my Zums all over the world with it .... lost a few bits off the case at times - handles, one wheel etc but SKB have replaced free of charge! I usually just put the guitar body in the case Zum Hybrid 9 knees - and it goes around 21 KG's ... which is about 46LBs ... my pedal bar, lightweight legs and rods go in my bag with my clothes! my guitars have never been damaged in anyway, but the case has taken a hammering hehe !

I also put my D2F guitar cover on the guitar when it's in the case as an added layer of protection.

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Last edited by Paddy Long on 18 Dec 2023 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 1:15 pm    

Jim Fogarty wrote:
Those of you who use an SKB molder case, could you please post a pic of what it looks like inside, with your steel and legs packed? I'm really curious. Thanks!

The SKB 3614-6 can be had for quite a bit less than the Sweetwater link posted above. The egg crate lid works well but the soft foam plank inserts that come with some cases are pretty useless for a psg IMO. Rigid foam liners are really simple to fabricate, a piece of 1" rigid EPS foam and some spray-on contact cement like 3M "77" from Home Depot, some cheap velvet from the local fabric store, ~$25-$30 total. The fabric is glued lightly to the foam in the pics below, the pieces are all just pressure fit into the case. It's very stable when installed but it all comes out in about 10 seconds. It's 1" foam except the bottom, which is 1/2". The thicker pieces on the ends are just built-up. The back faces are just carved out to match the contours of the case. The center partition is a piece of 1/2" plywood for rigidity. The case weighs about 17 lbs, the liner adds about 3 lbs. With alloy legs my Emmons S10 PP weighs in at 49.5 lbs. One minor inconvenience I've encountered flying with this case, they are popular with gun enthusiasts so you might get some extra scrutiny or holdups at baggage claim if they're wondering whether it's a firearm. If you're using it for a D10, a Martin backpacker guitar gig bag is the perfect size for legs and pedal rack, you can carry them on or check them separately.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 2:05 pm    

Really shop around for your case if you go the skb molded route. I bought mine about 10 years ago. The going price was $225 to $250. BPH photo happened to have them on sale for $185. Gator molded cases are also pretty good and are similar price wise.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 2:27 pm    

Yes, they've definitely gone up a bit. I got mine from Wayfair in 2014 for $179, but they don't seem to sell stuff like that anymore.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 4:45 pm    

The SKB Trap case I use is fairly light, so make sure you take that into consideration -- staying under an airlines prescribed weight limit, before they start stinging you for excess fees, is a bit of an art form :-}.

I also have a split Red Dirt case but with just the guitar body it's about 26KG so it's always going to be over the limit.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 8:48 pm    

I use 2 SKB drum trap cases for my D10. The body goes in one (foam-padded) and the legs and pedal rack go into a second identical case, along with my clothes, electronics and everything else except hand luggage. I couldn't find a standard suitcase for my clothes that would also be large enough for the pedal rack without being so large that the airlines would charge me for oversized luggage. Hence the second SKB case. So far, so good... It’s definitely not ideal for my clothes but I get by.

Last edited by Jim Cohen on 19 Dec 2023 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2023 9:11 am    

Completely off-topic:

Paddy: That Zum of yours looks like a work-of-art underneath!!!

I used the SKB-style (Wheel-Ez) cases for a long time. Mine had a rigid 'flap in the lid and there was room for the pedal-bar and leg-bag in that lid compartment. The guitar (Emmons 8+9) fit really snugly into the lower space.

However, a word of caution: I recently shipped the guitar overseas freight (container: 12 weeks traveling) and, when it arrived, the rubber/foam lining had severely degraded and left a black residue on the strings and elsewhere.

When I shipped it back months later (the guitar was none the worse for it), some research suggested laying newspaper between the contents and the rubber. That return trip was fine: the newspaper had absorbed any moisture and the strings were good and fresh when I unpacked it.

I still have that SKB case. It's unused now and I have had to strip out what was left of the foam. It had almost reduced to a black powder. Some glue residue remains. I would sell it but, these days, shipping costs would double the price.

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2023 9:59 am    

I used to fly quite often between 1997 and 2001, with folk cowboy group Wyle and the Wild West. Things probably have changed since then, but when I did it, I had trouble once in a while with the airlines, breaking the case lid, breaking my pack a seat, and even denting 3 of the tuning pegs after smashing the case and steel, I figured something ran over it like a forklift...Anyway the best insurance I found was the National Musician Union. Join it, they have chapters in cities throughout the US. My local in Spokane Wa. is #105. Then you can sign up and pay the premium for 'Musical Equipment Insurance. I haven't had it for a while, but guys that I still play with who are involved with the local, tell me its the same. They cover anything...and they are real good, they believe the musician, and not the airline, and they stand with you; excellent as far as coverage. You get reimbursement, no questions asked.
Also I would definitely purchase a flight case. I didn't have one at first when I traveled, but after the incident with my steel being ran over, I got a flight case and that really worked great.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2023 10:08 am    

Duane Becker wrote:
Anyway the best insurance I found was the National Musician Union. Join it, they have chapters in cities throughout the US. My local in Spokane Wa. is #105. Then you can sign up and pay the premium for 'Musical Equipment Insurance. I haven't had it for a while, but guys that I still play with who are involved with the local, tell me its the same. They cover anything...and they are real good, they believe the musician, and not the airline, and they stand with you; excellent as far as coverage. You get reimbursement, no questions asked.
Also I would definitely purchase a flight case.

Duane, do you think they would insist that you have a flight case in order to cover you or would they cover you with something like an SKB case?

Alex Kidd

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2023 2:20 pm    

I fly a GFI SD10 with a Pelican 1700 case. I installed high-density foam and used a razor blade to carve out a space for the pedal bar and the guitar body itself. It's a tight fit but it works well for that guitar.

However, I also fly other instruments with the SKB cases and if I were in the market I would probably opt for one of those previously mentioned. The SKB handles/wheels/latches feel superior to me.