The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone use a mini amp to play in an acoustic jam
John French

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 6:51 am    

I am a very new PSG player. I am a dobro player by trade. I play in a lot of acoustic jams and I have been asked to play my pedal steel in some of those jams. I would really like to do this because most of the jams are two or three hours in length which gives me a lot of time playing with other people. The problem is the amplification and my guitar overpowering the other instruments. One solution I have considered is using a mini amp like the NUX or Blackstar. Has anyone else participated in an acoustic jam and if you how did you handle your amplification?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 9:32 am    

I am from bluegrass roots. When I get together with old friends and family I use my regular amp.
What I have found best in an acoustic setting, Aim you amp at yourself and up close. Not out at the other players, Then use your amp volume and the volume pedal to keep steel at same lever as the acoustic pieces of the group.

Ask other member of group about your fit in the mix also.

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 9:38 am    

Ive used a Micro Cube successfully. Pretty amazing little amps.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 11:15 am    

When I started playing jam sessions in October of 2017, I took my pedal steel and a little Fender Champion 30 amplifier, and also a little Peavey Rage 108 amplifier, because the jam session was one that allowed acoustic and electric instruments. In 2018, the man who hosted the jam sessions died and the musicians who played at his jam sessions on Monday nights moved to another building on Saturdays, but when I started playing dobro, I decided the steel would be my only instrument to use an amplifier, but the dobro is always acoustic with no plug-ins. Now, I play more acoustic jam sessions where some acoustic guitars are plugged in, but the only electric instrument is the bass guitar.

Last edited by Brett Day on 13 Dec 2023 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jamie Kitlarchuk

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 11:29 am    

I sometimes use the Blackstar Fly for a small acoustic jam (guitar, bass, sometimes mando). As long as i angle it up a bit, it works fine. The tone is nothing to write home about, but I like it because i can throw it in a backpack and go.
If there was a banjo or dobro, it would probably be a bit too quiet.

I believe the Boss Katana mini is a bit higher wattage, so that could be a better option.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 6:39 pm    

I’ve used my Fishman Loudbox mini with surprisingly good results. Plus it’s great with my dobro and acoustic guiatr.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 9:31 pm    

The Roland Mobile Cube is excellent for this... the tone is just great, with stereo reverb. I use a One Spot to power it when I have AC available... otherwise it's just fine on AA's. I've been to acoustic jams when a Tele player's brought a Champ... just too much... you want something that's small physically to help with the 'not acoustic' factor.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 2:42 am    

Roland Street Cube is an excellent option

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 4:53 pm    

ZT Lunchbox...size of a lunchbox, 100 watts, good for anything you want to do...I also have a small Jackery power unit and can play all day outside with it...

Not the most full range, but for E9 range it is fine..

Not cheap ($500) but it does it all...and I got mine used for much less...

David Becker

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 11:17 pm    

I play lap steel, mostly with otherwise all acoustic instruments in a couple of jams, and I use a VOX DA-5. It has the VOX modeling, which I find good, although all I use most of a the time is a little reverb. They don't make that model any more, but I've bought a couple of used ones, and they are pretty easy to find for around $100. The replacement model (Mini 3) is 3 Watts instead of 5, and 5" speaker instead of 6.5", but otherwise about the same. Both have mic inputs in addition to Aux In and Headphones Out. I run mine on rechargeable AA's, so I never have to worry about being near an outlet or hassling with a cord.

Michael Stephens

South Hadley, MA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2023 3:05 am    

I've been using a Spark as the amp for PSG in an acoustic jam. Works really well!

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2023 11:20 am    

I would agree with Bobby Jones. Use any amp you like and point it at your head. Listen and don't be a jerk.
I guess all of that would apply to any musical group situation.

Stew Crookes

Paris, France
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 1:28 am    

My 'main' amp these days is a tiny Quilter Superblock US - for rehearsals and acoustic jams I run it through a super light Vox BC108 cabinet - it sounds pretty good! And the total weight of this rig is exactly 10lbs Very Happy

For proper shows I go directly into the PA and use either the little Vox cab or a 12" speaker cab as a stage monitor. The direct sound is fantastic and with a 12" cab, the speaker sound is too - the only tradeoff is that there's not 'unlimited volume' on tap like you can have with larger steel-specific amps - if drums are involved, there needs to be decent PA otherwise I'm bringing a larger amp... And I doubt the Vox could gracefully manage anything lower than a 10 string E9 but the 12" probably could.

I only occasionally miss playing through my larger amps, but I DEFINITELY don't miss taking them on the subway or up and down 7 flights of stairs Laughing

stewcrookes.com

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 7:35 am    

For acoustic gigs, I'd envision a small "pocket amp" attached underneath the steel, where it can't be seen. When you're not plugged into a wall socket, and people can't see an amp, it sorta gives the "illusion" of an unplugged/acoustic instrument.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 8:39 am    

I generally use either a silverface Vibro Champ or a clone of a tweed Princeton with pretty much any electric instrument in a bluegrass or other acoustic guitar setting. I actually use these for rehearsals and gigs, as well as jams (I'm in a semi-electric/acoustic bluegrass band). They sound good to me at volumes that don't overpower the acoustic instruments. I have a small pedalboard on which to put a tuner, compressor (mostly for Tele), reverb, and delay.

These amps are not exactly cheap anymore, but another amp that works well on the cheap is an 80s Peavey Backstage or Backstage Plus. Actually, the Backstages are one of my favorite lap steel amps, period. Go figure.

I have tried a few different modelers and mini-amps. They can definitely work. But I prefer the amps I mentioned above.

Dave Stagner

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 2:12 pm    

As others have said, the absolute most important thing is to get the amp close, pointed directly at your head, and preferably not pointed at anyone else. That, and have an amp that CAN play reasonably quiet. For years, I used a Mesa Mark I, which had no problems functioning at unplugged acoustic levels with a nice full sound.

I’ve recently switched to using a Milkman The Amp 100 with my trusted old JBL K-120, and it seems to play quietly enough for unplugged environments, too. I’m taking it to a jam tonight, so we’ll see! I’ve used two other amps at that jam with pedal steel - a Fender Tone Master Deluxe (which is a smidge too loud, and the tone falls apart on the lowest power setting), and a DV Mark Little Jazz, which is actually a great steel amp for really clean tones. I like my tone a little dirty and brighter than it wants to play, but for someone who wants something clean, warm, and portable, it’s good.

1967 ZB D-10
1990 OMI Dobro
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders

Dave Stagner

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 12:50 pm    

Followup - the Milkman + JBL worked great at an otherwise unamplified acoustic jam! No problem finding a volume that worked for me and for everyone else. A smaller speaker or lighter-weight cab would make it even easier. (My cab is a Hard Truckers style 1x12 with the JBL and weighs just under 33lb total)

1967 ZB D-10
1990 OMI Dobro
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 6:54 pm    

A little late to this party but I got a Fender Champion 20 for playing lap steel at acoustic jams and parties. It has a few built in effects (I just use the reverb) and a bunch of amp models. Volume is no problem — I’ve never had to turn it up past 3 — and it sounds full in a big living room with a bunch of other players, even with a small PA for vocals and acoustic guitars.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 10:31 pm    

Mr. Hinson Its not for a steel guitar. Have you seen 1 of those amps, Jerry Douglas was involved in some way. They put 4 metal slugs inside the guitar and magnets holds it to the guitar. It has volume, and 2 other changes built in. It basically uses the guitar body as the cone in a speaker.

I have a cousin that uses 1 on his dobro, Because the sound goes up on a dobro, Sound to sides is not that loud. I have wondered if I could take everything out of my seat, Cut a hole in my seat with a grate, And hook it to my seat. Carry my goodies in a back pack.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 1:23 am    

Boss Katana Mini- $99. 2 lbs, clean mode, 7 watts , 3 EQ knobs. Runs on Batteries or 9v Adapter. If it breaks or dies, or if I lose it, I'll get another !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Danny Sherbon

San Angelo, TX
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2023 6:37 pm     Spark and Cab

The Positve Grid Spark (40 watts) sounds amazing for small jobs. Ron Hogan has put his setting in the amp. I have their Cab (140 watts) ordered and expect I can use it on any job.
You can’t beat it for the cost.