The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Russ Hicks R.I.P.
John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 4:35 pm    

My extreme condolences to Laney and family.

Russ was a great guy, and a good friend. He will be missed!

NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 5:00 pm    

RIP my friend. I played with Russ on September 30. He made the trip to East TN to play at a jam for a friend of ours. That's the kind of guy he was. Super picker, but no ego about it. He will be missed. Condolences to Laney and the rest of the family.

RC

Lee Johnson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 5:05 pm     to Laney and family

Laney so sorry to hear about Russ, we will be praying for you and the family, God bless you and the girls hope to see you in march at Dallas. Love you. Lee. of BJS bars. Sad Sad

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 5:37 pm    

Wow, this is unexpected! Got a chance to hang out with him a few times. Russ showed up with Jim Thompson to a small show that we did out here in Central PA - he asked if he could play - ummmm, yeah, I think we can find a spot for you! Great player, cool guy, I've been a fan for years, very sorry to hear this bad news.

Dan Behringer

Jerseyville, Illinois
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 5:39 pm    

Oh no …. another great one gone. I always enjoyed his playing.
My dad often talked about playing with Russ in Chicago in early 60’s before Russ was a steel player. They always got together at the St. Louis Convention for a chat to reminisce about those days.

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 8:53 pm    

A Letter from Laney,

Dearest Friends, I'm writing to you all now when there is finally a moment to do it; and I apologize for the delayed post and calls I am only just now managing to make. You see it happened so suddenly, really, when we rushed to the hospital, and we honestly thought we'd be coming back home in just a couple of days. The girls and I are still in shock, frankly, and naturally,out of concern, word was spreading before we even really knew what to tell anybody. I can now let you know that Russ experienced sudden acute complications from Liver Disease (auto-immune) that had been diagnosed 7 years ago. Mercifully, God extended his health and days from an early prognosis that predicted he may have lived only 1 year. So the past 6 years have been an amazing Gift to all of us. Many of you didn't know he was sick because he's done so very well and been so strong and fully alive, and fully himself. Unfortunately, he developed a silent Liver infection that presented itself beyond the point of Treatment, though the wonderful Vanderbilt ICU team tried above and beyond to fight it with him. I'm so eternally grateful that all 4 daughters and I were able to be completely by his side every minute, around the clock; he was never without us, and he entered the arms of Jesus having only just let go of ours together on Tuesday morning, December 11th. Upon Russ' explicit instruction to us some time ago, we will lay him to rest soon, gathering as immediate Family only. We will make plans as soon as possible to have a Music Family Gathering to Celebrate Russell "Eldorado" Hicks' Life and Talents, and I will post here again and on the Steel Guitar Forum when we secure the date time and place to Gather. Russ LOVED all of you as you LOVE him, and together WE have known only pure Joy in our times spent with you all.....(in our wonderful log home that he built, incredibly, himself) and in Nashville, and all over the world!! So, please come when we Gather, if you can!
And, please, even if you've posted already somewhere else, post something here too for the girls and me to keep and treasure forever. It means so much to feel your Love for him...for us. I've loved Russ Hicks with all my whole heart; if you know me, you know that. I love you, too....Thank you so much for your Friendship, your Prayers and the Care that is pouring in.

Laney

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 9:04 pm    

here's a link to Russ's facebook page, where Laney posts for him: https://www.facebook.com/russ.hicks.9678

she has requested that folks leave a message under her recent post there (see above), for her and the girls to have and keep. I'm sure she's also aware of this thread, but I'll give her the link anyway.

thanks for everything Russ. I honestly can't think of a better example to follow in the world of steel guitar.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 9:47 pm    

Very sad to hear this news. Russ paved his own way and developed a unique style. He will be missed. May God wrap his arms around Laney and the four girls and comfort them.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Gerard Rowan

Australia
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 10:28 pm    

Very sad to hear this news. Russ was a phenomenal player. RIP Russ thanks for all the amazing music.

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 10:42 pm    

I was so sorry to learn of Russ passing yesterday. I met him in Dallas the Steel Show several times and we talked a lot. The one think that I noticed right away, was the lack of look who I am. You would never know that he was a great steel guitar player from meeting and having conservation with him.

I was lucky enough to play acoustic guitar on his part of the Steel show one time and I really had a great time. I have always admired his playing and talent, and discovered his great personality.

Russ will be missed a long time by those who were lucky enough to have had contact with him..RIP

George

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 12:07 am    

That really hits hard, such sad news. I talked to Russ at Scotty's often and found him to be a very humble, smart and funny person. No need to say anything about his playing, he certainly was among the all time great masters of the instrument.

My heartfelt condolences and prayers go out to Laney and the family!

RIP, Russ and Thanks for the legacy you are leaving behind!

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 6:20 am    

Nothing but respect for these golden age of steel guitar players. Russ will never be forgotten.

rick andrews

Westminster Co 80031
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 7:41 am    

RIP Russ. Thanks for the enjoyment you've given us.
Sending peace to Hicks family.

Randy Weideman

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 7:43 am     Russ Hicks Music Will Live Forever

Thank you Russ for all the good times we have had. It was great!!! You too, Laney.

Bob Taillefer

Canada
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 8:35 am    

Dear Laney and Angela, Jennifer, Holly & Lindsay,

The passing of Russ is very sad news. But we will remember the good times and conversations at the many Steel Guitar shows.

Thank you Laney for passing along the private struggle you have all dealt with over the past 7 years. It is never easy to lose a loved one.

We will keep all of you in our thoughts.

Till we meet again,

Bob Taillefer and Debra McCormick
❤️ from Canada

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 2:55 pm    

What a sad loss for all of us, but a gain for Heaven. We always looked forward to seeing Russ and Laney at the Tulsa Show, what a terrific entertainment team. Our thoughts and prayers are with you Laney and family.

John Buffington,
Past President
Oklahoma Steel Guitar Association

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 6:46 pm     Russ Hicks

Sad news but peace to Russ's family. A great musician, friend, and a proud Mountaineer whose memory remains with our loved ones in Ohio and West Virginia. The world is a better place because you here Russ: Peace through Jesus!

Laney Hicks

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 9:19 pm     Russ

I waited until tonight to come to the Forum just to talk.....because I knew how personal it would feel to me here; and I knew how much it would hurt. I've expressed having a "heavy heart" before, but I never felt this measure of weight in the area of my own heart until now. It's so still here without him in the house to request a bowl of his beloved oatmeal...tapioca pudding....soft scrambled eggs with way too much hot sauce on top at all hours of the day or night! Since I met Russ he has been an overwhelming force driving my life, my purpose and my heart. I could tell what he was thinking by the slightest change in his expression before he spoke a word. We finished each others thoughts; especially about songs, whether we were writing together, or he was "re-arranging" an old favorite for us to do that turned the whole thing into something purely etherial to me! We were probably too connected, definitely not "normal", and I don't know how to stop listening for him or to anticipate his next need. I've never been right here before in this particular state of being. Many of you friends know these intense, oddly lost feelings all too well by now. I'm so sorry. I thank you all for your concern and your love for the girls and me; we talk about your care and it helps. Just seeing your names brings to mind a wonderful memory, every time; usually something that involved really good music...and lots of fun and laughter! I wish we were sitting in a very late night Waffle House somewhere in America having left a Show with too much natural adrenaline to "go home yet" and so many stories to share at the table still! We've spent the best times of our lives together, Russ and me...and with so many of you. We've been too busy fully living the greatest moments (and the more challenging ones of the last handful of years) to have the time to do much documenting. I'd love to write the Book, though... I sure do love every Friend on these special pages. Thanks for letting me ramble a little bit.... God bless you all abundantly, Laney

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 9:24 pm     Re: Russ

Laney Hicks wrote:
I waited until tonight to come to the Forum just to talk.....because I knew how personal it would feel to me here; and I knew how much it would hurt. I've expressed having a "heavy heart" before, but I never felt this measure of weight in the area of my own heart until now. It's so still here without him in the house to request a bowl of his beloved oatmeal...tapioca pudding....soft scrambled eggs with way too much hot sauce on top at all hours of the day or night! Since I met Russ he has been an overwhelming force driving my life, my purpose and my heart. I could tell what he was thinking by the slightest change in his expression before he spoke a word. We finished each others thoughts; especially about songs, whether we were writing together, or he was "re-arranging" an old favorite for us to do that turned the whole thing into something purely etherial to me! We were probably too connected, definitely not "normal", and I don't know how to stop listening for him or to anticipate his next need. I've never been right here before in this particular state of being. Many of you friends know these intense, oddly lost feelings all too well by now. I'm so sorry. I thank you all for your concern and your love for the girls and me; we talk about your care and it helps. Just seeing your names brings to mind a wonderful memory, every time; usually something that involved really good music...and lots of fun and laughter! I wish we were sitting in a very late night Waffle House somewhere in America having left a Show with too much natural adrenaline to "go home yet" and so many stories to share at the table still! We've spent the best times of our lives together, Russ and me...and with so many of you. We've been too busy fully living the greatest moments (and the more challenging ones of the last handful of years) to have the time to do much documenting. I'd love to write the Book, though... I sure do love every Friend on these special pages. Thanks for letting me ramble a little bit.... God bless you all abundantly, Laney
Laney, a lot of my favorite memories are when you and Russ were on the same shows I was playing. I'm praying for you and your family now, and I'm so glad we became friends!

Love you!

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 6:03 am    

Laney.. I'm always at a loss for words in a situation such as this,but I want you to know Russ Wil be missed immensely in the hearts of many. Our memories go back to a show in Davenport Iowa quite a few years ago where we both played on and spent most of the day sitting together.. Very enjoyable and you invited Marcia and me to your "Cajun" party at your log home! As Russ would say, we had a "Large" time!
And then after you and Russ got together for Round 2 of your lives, you came back to Davenport to play on Picketts show. After not seeing you for over a dozen years we walked in the door and you called me by name!
That meant so much to me!!! Those are memories we will always have in our life!
Laney.. Take care and hang on to that big Smile!!!
Ron & Marcia Petersen

Brian Christiano

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 8:16 am     Russ Hicks

This is sad news. RIP Russ.

I firs met Russ at the SC Steel show in Saluda. He always made me smile when he would open with the theme song from The Flintstones. Rolling Eyes

I recall when I found out he had been in the house band for Hee Haw, watching an old rerun of Hee Haw, right after he had played the SC steel show. he was highlighted playing Dobro for the guest artist.

He played the second show when we moved it to Columbia back in Nov 2019. He will be missed.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 6:44 pm    

I saw on a Facebook posting by Bill Ferguson that Russ had passed ad day or two ago. I needed to take a day before coming to the Forum. Just such a loss to our community. I have many fond memories of watching Russ play and then Russ and Laney at Scotty's over the decades. Those late night after-parties that would go on with everyone there are also part of my memories from back then. Russ would be at every one and I got to have and listen in on, some great conversations with Russ and the rest of the gang, most all of who are gone now. I got to chat a little with Russ in 2014, the last ISGA show I got to attend at yet another late night party. Scotty was sitting at the kitchen table somewhat disabled from his stroke and while I was picking Scotty's brain on so many things, Russ came over to see how Scotty was doing and make small talk. It was such a wonderful family of musician friends that I felt privileged to get to hang with, and Russ was a big part of that family of great steel guitarist personalities, personalities that were sometimes equal to or even greater than their amazing playing. RIP Russ. You were a great man who brought so much joy to your steel guitar community.

Thank you for reaching out and opening up to all of us Laney. I can only hope that your knowledge of how loved you and Russ continue to be will bring you some comfort in this difficult time. You and your girls are in all of our thoughts. Hoping that we will still see you at the Dallas show this March. You are in our hearts Laney.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2023 4:20 am    

Did I understand this correctly, Laney, that you are planning to write a book about his and your adventures? If so that would be great!

Lee Barber

Sweeny, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2023 8:21 am    

R.I.P. Mr. Russ Hicks

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2023 8:32 am    

Oh jeez, say it ain't so. Russ Hicks was an incredible steel player. Every once in a while I'd listen to his playing on Barefoot Jerry tunes and his duets with Jimmy Crawford. I'd always hoped I'd see him play again. What a loss for those who lovemusic, especially the steel guitar community.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver