The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to sound like Chalker on C6
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2023 4:29 pm    

I finally decided to dedicate some time to the back neck. Of coarse I have basic Emmons setup but I want to know how to sound like Chalker on C6. I’m open for any ideas. I’m somewhat familiar with the C6th and E6 tunings for non oedsl but not using pedals.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2023 5:39 pm    

Get in touch with Johnny Cox - he is the go to guy!!!

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2023 1:59 pm    

Curly certainly had his own voice on the C6. I have been watching Youtube clips of his playing and admire the way he used the low strings in his phrasing.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2023 2:52 pm    

Have to learn to gut the volume pedal very fast without sounding too choppy on the volume level. Jim Murphy had this down pat and Buddy Charleton was close behind in that technique.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2023 4:17 pm    

As I recall, Curly Chalker had his own personal & unique tuning for his 10 string C6th neck .....open tuning, as well his floor pedals and knee lever changes......which he played on 'the front neck' of his pedal steel guitars.

I searched The Forum archives, (and general internet), but didn't discover anything definitive.

Hopefully someone can provide better info.

Ron

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2023 4:22 pm    

Cox plays E13th and has some Chalkerizm knee levers, check out his youtube channel

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2023 5:06 pm    

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2023 7:26 pm    

Ron Funk wrote:
As I recall, Curly Chalker had his own personal & unique tuning for his 10 string C6th neck .....open tuning, as well his floor pedals and knee lever changes......which he played on 'the front neck' of his pedal steel guitars.

While that's true, most of his style wasn't in his tuning, but the way he played it, using techniques he specialized in, like "gutting" and "quaking". He was a phenomenal player, being recognized by many as one of the "chord kings" for his extensive use of chords instead of single strings to play melody lines. Many didn't care for his style or sound (or his demeanor), but he remains one of the true greats on the instrument for his innovative and jazzy style.

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2023 5:26 am    

Hi Greg - What do you mean "gut the volume pedal" real fast?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2023 6:09 am    

Chalker cut off the leading edge of his notes with the volume pedal then brought the volume back up in a hurry to get his trademark sound. You don't hear the pick hitting the string or the initial string attack, just a resulting swell. You can see him do this in his videos and hear it on all his recordings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2023 2:09 pm     Volume

A reverse swell..Joe Adam’s..Washington Courthouse Ohio could sound like Chalker….

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2023 2:40 pm    

Yep, the gut swell. And he didn’t use much reverb. I always thought his sound was “drier” than other players of his era.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2023 8:03 am    

Chalker's "gutting" technique is hard to really master! As Doug says, it was kind of an explosive swell immediately after the picking motion, and it always reminded me of a mellow Hammond B3 organ sound (without the Leslie effect). It's featured pretty well in his backup work on this old Merle Travis record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pmTUlPQvM0

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2023 8:12 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Chalker's "gutting" technique is hard to really master! As Doug says, it was kind of an explosive swell immediately after the picking motion, and it always reminded me of a mellow Hammond B3 organ sound (without the Leslie effect). It's featured pretty well in his backup work on this old Merle Travis record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pmTUlPQvM0

I think that LP is the best Chalker playing ever.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2023 8:40 pm    

I posted the Merle Travis LP with Curly Chalker on here a while ago. My favorite LP of his is More Ways To Play, however.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 5:33 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
I posted the Merle Travis LP with Curly Chalker on here a while ago. My favorite LP of his is More Ways To Play, however.

I love that one too and you might be right now that I think of it. I’m glad it’s not an eye test and we don’t have to really pick one! Very Happy

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 5:49 pm    

Both sides of Curly Chalker's more ways to play. Even the fast single notes volume swelled. Love the brass and piano too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruuaUinsqps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDS_u5TOPVw

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7vR5tRAKLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOtEDOgx8JQ

The Counterpoint video has some great photos in it.

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 11 Dec 2023 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 6:05 pm    

I had "More Ways to Play" back in the 80's. Great album. I especially liked "Tenderly" and "Long Black Limousine".

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 7:06 am     Chalker

Thanks for posting the Chalker Albums….his playing blows me away no matter how many times you hear him. I’m not sure there are many, if any steel players who mastered it like Chalker, the dynamics , from strings to volume pedal, chords, single string, in the melody…and what he laid out what was in his head… very unique. Does anyone have any live footage of him that might show his volume pedal technique?

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 4:12 pm    

I Love You Because w/ Carl Smith

https://youtu.be/hwD-6v2vIS4?si=B9rNwsOkv82VFaBI

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 6:00 pm    

Jim Murphy nailed Chalker's tone on a live cut of She Called Me Baby All Night long but it's been removed from YouTube. A less explosive but similar version with Jim is here with a nice break in the middle and a swing ending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBL-5xbnN-c

Johnny Cox did get Jim and Curly together for a night of picking in a Nashville club. That would be something to hear live!

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 13 Dec 2023 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 7:24 pm    

There may be others that are less known, at least to me, but Jim Murphy and Johnny Cox would be the two best known for playing Curly’s style. There’s a lot of Curly’s style in John Hughy’s C6 playing too. John once told me “Curly was the man!”

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 9:59 am    

Definitely hear a tonof Curly influence in Johnny Cox playing. I recently got a Cox cd and when I popped it in I thought someone was messing with me and swapped for some Curly mystery that I never heard.