The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Black Widow 1201-8 12 in. Speaker
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2023 8:48 pm    

Early 80s Super Structure 1201-8ohm 12 inch speaker. Aluminum dust cover, original paper cone.

This model has a high VD [volume displacement] quotient over any other BW model.

The magnet's paint has been touched up just for cosmetics.

The speaker has been checked for deteriorated foam plug and has been otherwise inspected and tested for quality. The dust cover has a couple bb sized impressions but purely cosmetic, not severe and really hard to see in the pic.

It works perfectly and sounds terrific. Some guitar amps of this era had these 1201-8 speakers installed. The later and recent Kevlar treated 1201s were listed as PA speakers.

Price is $125 plus shipping likely by FedEx or USPS whichever is the most convenient and ecomonical.

I do not do paypal. I only accept money orders or checks as payment and deal only with forum members in the conus.

Contact PM with interest, questions etc.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2023 6:49 am    

May consider trade for 90s 1203-4 BW neo or big port mag, paper cone, no Kevlar in equally good condition.

Would also consider a 90s era 1203-4 basket as partial trade plus cash.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2023 5:37 pm    

What is the wattage rating on this speaker?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2023 9:01 pm    

I'm not sure Johnny but I believe the first generation of Spider Web Black Widows were rated at 250W RMS.
I believe this early era of Super Structure second generation BW were rated at 250W at least, but may have been 300W with the introduction of this SS magnet.
The ratings increased with later magnet structures up to the current 350W rating but this speaker was before that. JO.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2024 2:40 pm    

Jerry, I'll take it. Check your PMs.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 May 2024 6:33 am     pick me!

Still available. Price still $125 plus freight.

I've sold this speaker 3 or 4 times but all have failed for one reason or another. Things do change. No complaints there, but just to address a few things concerning the speaker and the freight.

These BW's have a big heavy magnet. Raw weight is somewhere just under 20#. Shipping weight with packing will likely be around 25#.

Freight costs will be with my packing and delivering to the depot myself. I use USPS or FedEx, whichever is cheaper.
[EX. FedEx insured to KC about $35]...but I have an account, might be a little less.

I do not use paypal. I prefer USPS money orders but will accept personal checks from established members with clearance.

Best option if you are anywhere close is to pick it up or possibly meet somewhere if in the region.

Seems like folks are opting for the lighter weight neo and stamped framed speakers....whatever you like...but these old Black Widows from the 80s and early 90s are hard to beat, heavy as they are.