The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Loud hum from Peavy Nashville 112
John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2023 12:29 pm    

I get a loud hum from my Peavy Nashville 112 when the rever or effects loop is on. Normally there is no hum on turning on the spring reverb is when the hum starts. Turning on the effects loop makes it louder.
This is even present without the instrument connected to the amplifier.

I've tried plugging the amp into a hum x that didn't work.

What could cause this?

If I unplug the effects loop the hum from that goes away but the hum for the reverb is always present.

I'm out of ideas as to what could be causing this.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2023 10:54 pm    

Many years ago, I had a similar problem with a Peavy Nashville 112.

As I recall, I disconnected the wires to the reverb tank and cleaned the RCA plugs and jacks in the reverb tank with contact cleaner.
Then I slid the amp out of the cabinet, opened up and cleaned both sides of the Molex connector with the wires sending the signal to the reverb tank.

I think the plugs get a bit of oxidation over time that causes the hum.

- Dave

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2023 3:24 am    

The NV112 does not use a Molex connector for the reverb connections. It uses a different, more reliable connector.

It does have two Molex connectors in the power supply section. Reseat (unplug and plug back in) those two connectors - obviously with AC power disconnected.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 3:34 am    

Dave Magram wrote:
Many years ago, I had a similar problem with a Peavy Nashville 112.

As I recall, I disconnected the wires to the reverb tank and cleaned the RCA plugs and jacks in the reverb tank with contact cleaner.
Then I slid the amp out of the cabinet, opened up and cleaned both sides of the Molex connector with the wires sending the signal to the reverb tank.

I think the plugs get a bit of oxidation over time that causes the hum.

- Dave

Do you mean the wires on the tank side? Or the wires that connect to the board?

I reseated the ones on the board side and it didn't seem to improve the hum.

The hum from the loop is slightly higher pitched than the hum from the reverb. I don't think it's a pedal problem cause it hums with just a cable from send to return if I turn on the loop.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2024 8:35 pm    

John, I had the same problem. All of a sudden it just stopped being noisy...????? Ron