The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My D13th setup
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2023 1:16 pm    

I've had the guitar a week and, already, have made some changes. It was inevitable that, while I theorized 'on paper', actually playing the thing would reveal the odd faux pas when I 'personalized' my setup (thanks, b0b!), slightly altering JC's design. It's essentially his notion, of course.

It's difficult, going from a D10 to assimilating twelve strings and this hybrid tuning. I only became aware of Johnny Cox' clever idea just over a year ago and I jumped in with both feet, disregarding the hurdles I'd face at my advanced age.

Anyway, it's done now. I know I should absorb this as one tuning but I confess that I still see it in two halves: D9th and D6th. Of course, the lines blur; my old favourite E9 KL (Bs to Bb, on RKL) is now superseded by pedal 5, virtually the same as the old standard Emmons P5 on a D10.

I'm finding 6th-type sounds far easier to get to grips with but it's all coming slowly.

I'll be fine as long as nobody calls me for a gig!!! I'm not quite 'show-ready'!!! Smile

(PS: The asterisks indicate where there's a pull that I've wound off after a few days. I may reassign them or - just leave them there.)

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2023 6:36 pm    

Beautiful instrument and congratulations. That should keep you busy for a while! Admirable that you are digging in on a new tuning. And I know you have been waiting for a while and imagine the excitement and intense focus.

Enjoy your journey!

Jared Ruari

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 9:47 am    

Jim at Steel Guitars of North County recently converted my old BMI push-pull into a 7x5 D13th copedent.

I had been playing a e9/b6 universal setup for a little while, but as I started studying the 6th side of things very quickly ran into the limitations involved with not having the full compliment of C6th knee levers.

With the D13th setup, your root note raise and lowers are the same for both the D9th and D6th frame of reference. And then I was also able to include the knee lever changes that typically go on the A string of a C6th neck.

So I have: pedals C B A 8 5 6 7

And the standard knee levers for both 6th and 9th style playing.

Plus the new possibilities that come with the "extra" strings.

I wasn't able to discover any other way of getting this much out of a 7x5, so I'm a D13th believer!

The string grips are a bit different and I'm new to a Day setup, but after a few days I'm already getting used to it.