The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Facebook
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2023 6:19 pm    

It has always puzzled me as to why some folks market their goods, products, and/or services solely on Facebook and then require a prospective customer to log in on Facebook in order to view or obtain information about their goods, products, and/or services.

What is the advantage to marketing that way?

~Lee

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2023 5:41 am    

If you are referring to Facebook marketplace it is free and easy, people are familiar with the platform.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2023 6:49 am    

I was living in England in 2020 and decided to sell some diecast models (London buses in particular). My partner's daughter suggested Facebook Marketplace and it was quick and easy.

It targeted local buyers and I sold everything I'd posted within a couple of weeks.

It's not a substitute for what we have here on the Forum (thanks, b0b!), especially given the almost claustrophobically-small world of steel guitar.

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2023 9:46 am    

Is Facebook Marketplace only available to those who have Facebook accounts?

I don't have a Facebook account.

I have run across plumbers, a/c techs, roofers, etc. who don't have traditional web sites, only Facebook pages. If you want to find out more about their company, you have to log in to Facebook to access that info.

I have seen bands and musicians that do the same thing.

If someone is actively trying to market their goods and services, why would they limit themselves to only those who have Facebook accounts?

~Lee

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2023 9:55 am    

It's a good point, Lee, but I expect you're in the minority. I resisted smart-phones for years but have come to depend upon it. (My old flip-top phone used to raise a laugh in countless band-rooms!) Facebook membership may not be quite as widespread as smart-phones but it's close, I bet.

I'm glad of Facebook because it allows me to easily stay in contact with old friends in Britain. I could live without it, but it's a 'positive' in my view.

Having said that, I do know a couple of pals who steadfastly refuse to sign up. Smile

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2023 11:08 am    

The advantage is a built-in audience that is served your content automatically by the platform, as well as digital tools for creating and diseeminating an ad. You can set your Facebook page to be accessed publicly, which will allow non-users to see the details they would need to learn about your business and contact you.

Since the users themselves (and their valuable data) are the product that Facebook traffics in (selling data and access to third parties), Facebook has a interest in getting you to interact with the platform as much as possible (which also increases ad revenue). So they will actively try to grow your network and connect you with as many people as possible (but will also punish you by throttling your postings if you haven't interacted enough for their liking).

Bands and business use Facebook as their main page for ease of use (only have to update information in one place), automatic networking, and because it's "free" (it's not really free, you just pay with your data and attention). It's also much easier to set up a Facebook page than a website for those with little to no experience doing such things.

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2023 2:32 pm    

Quote:
You can set your Facebook page to be accessed publicly, which will allow non-users to see the details they would need to learn about your business and contact you.

Most sites I want to access are set up that way.

It's puzzling, though, when the pop-up shows up, telling me to log in first.

If a restaurant owner wants people to dine at their restaurant, I would think they would want photos, contact information, location, etc. to be the first things to be visible when someone clicks on their url.

No rants or complaints here. It just seems to be poor marketing to me.

I thought, perhaps, there was an advantage of some sort for businesses to deal only with prospects who log in first.

~Lee

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2023 4:02 am    

That's the trade-off for access to the market and free tools: Facebook will constantly try to convert you to a user.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2023 12:04 pm    

Up until a couple of years ago, I had never had a social media account of any kind. The whole scene just never did anything for me, and I was also puzzled about why some companies only marketed on Facebook. I'm still puzzled.

But a few years ago, I was moving from Tennessee to North Carolina and had a bunch of stuff I needed to get rid of as part of my downsizing. My sister, who is an avid Facebook Marketplace user, had great luck selling on Marketplace so I decided to give it a try.

While in North Carolina one Sunday morning at about 4:30, I posted my camper (which was still in Knoxville), and within about 10 minutes it was sold and the buyer wondered when he could come pay me. I was three hours away at the time.

Same thing happened when I sold my last 3 motorcycles. I can't ride any more due to balance problems. Sold within an hour.

I've never used my Facebook account except to sell things on Marketplace. I still get frequent messages from Facebook telling me that I'm missing out on the total experience. That I'm a member of no groups and have no friends. Guess they figured me out.

Dave

Jim Peter

Mendon,Mich USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2023 10:33 am     Facebook Market Place

This summer I put 6 items on Facebook and the same items on Craig's List. I was able to sell all 6 items and the were all sold on Facebook Market Place, no interest from Craig's list.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 8:17 am    

So since "almost everybody" is a Facebook member, those of us who are not can enlist a friend or relative who is, to handle the transaction.

As noted above, most businesses and bands allow public access to their site to allow non-members to gain information.

I have 2 reasons for not joining. First, I have heard far too many stories about their accumulation your information and interests. I have nothing to hide whatsoever, but on general principles the idea concerns me. Second, there are SO many sites on there - music, old trucks, railroads, car restoration, and a zillion more - that I would not ever get anything else accomplished. Laughing The day MIGHT come when I cave in and join but so far they have not snared me in.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 8:42 am    

The answer is simply economics and reach. Facebook has a huge reach and a very targeted audience for your goods and services and they take care of the marketing, reach, and promotion all in one place and for free. Infinitely better than trying to create a website and market it, promote it, maintain it, and worst of all PAY FOR it, to a vastly smaller audience.

All of those services might lose the few who don't want to be a member, but the gain multiple times that number in new clients who would have never heard of them otherwise. So it is kind of a no brainer.

It is like complaining you don't want to buy a TV, but upset you miss the ads.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 7:31 am    

I am with Don Brown's post. He said it all. J.R.

Shoshanah Marohn

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 9:01 am    

Facebook can be a pretty toxic environment, so I considered leaving it many times. But I sell my art on there, not even really intentionally sometimes. I just post a picture of a "work in progress" and people send me offers. So, I started keeping track in a spreadsheet of how much I actually made from selling art on facebook, and it was more than any other web site or in person store I was selling at. People buy stuff on Facebook.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 9:06 am    

I have gotten rid of a lot of steels and equipment over the last few months. I usually post things for sale both here and on facebook. 90% of my sales happened via the facebook listing.

Quite honestly, I end up deleting half my threads here because of lack of response or interest. That never happens on Facebook. I usually always get some sort of response .

As far as data collection is concerned, anything you do online is tracked. In the majority of cases it is collected to deliver targeted ads. People buy when you show them ads for things they are interested in.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 10:12 am    

Bill: I know all about deleting threads!! My stuff mostly gets ignored, too. Sad

You're quite right. Once you're online, you're prey to the data-seekers. It's mostly no more than a nuisance (too many ads) and rarely has a sinister outcome.

I like to think that I'm immune to the stealth of the advertisers, but some of it surely seeps in? It's been fifty years since that splendid book on commercials - in print and TV -'The Hidden Persuaders' was published. Nothing has changed. It's just worse.

Facebook has more positives than negatives for me. I'm able to stay up-to-date with old friends back in Britain and Europe; sure, I could privately mail them, but FB can give you a nudge and it's so easy.

As for Messenger - free video calls all over the world! - I make full use of that.

As long as I ignore that 'cat videos' and the close-ups of people's food, then I'm good.

You know what they say? 'If you're getting something for nothing, then YOU'RE the mark!' Hence the ads - a small price to pay, in my view.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 10:49 am    

I'm considering joining for 2 reasons. So many of my friends and acquaintances use it, plus the idea of selling stuff on the marketplace section is appealing.

I'm just not sure whether I want to open up my personal data and information for more invasive media. Hmmmm.......

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 15 Oct 2023 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 11:13 am    

I'm guessing but I'm probably the only one here that has been personally named in a data privacy lawsuit. Back in the 90's, I worked for a company called Comet Systems. We developed a technology that would change your cursor into whatever you liked. Logos, icons, you name it. You download our cursor technology and you could change your cursor into any number of things.

We had a bundling deal with RealNetworks. Everytime you installed Real player, you install us. We had a counter in the office that was constantly in motion indicating how many cursors were installed. We passed the populations of many countries.

Thing is, once you downloaded our cursor, we basically owned your computer. We could change the language to french. We could install hyperlinks were there were none before. I was originally hired to make deals with online dictionaries, thesaurus's, encyclopedia's so we could create hyperlinks to add value to your surfing experience.

And then one day, I was researching a company called Goto. the first pay to play search engine. Way before Google. and in fact, google copied them. The idea was if you paid enough per click, you could own the top space of the search results.

I realized we could create hyperlinks to the top selling words in Goto and make a mint. And that is just what we did. I called up Goto, made a deal were we would get 50% of the revenue by driving clicks to them.

As far as PII is concerned (Personal Identifiable Information) we knew nothing. Everyone was just a random number. This number went to this website and then went to that website. and people can serve up ads based on that info. They don't know you are Bob Smith, or Bill McCloskey. they just know you as #x3459 or whatever.

I left the company soon after that, but they continued with that technology which was later sold to a bigger company.

Nothing you do online is untrackable. Nothing. Everything you do is tracked by someone. That is price for free goods and services. You can run. But you can't hide. Unless you want to go completely off grid like the unabomber.

Oh, and the lawsuit: brought by a overzealous "data warrior" who named everyone at the company as part of the lawsuit was eventually dismissed.

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 15 Oct 2023 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 11:24 am    

Fascinating story, Bill, but why am I not shocked?

It's mind-boggling, what capability could be in the wrong hands!

And that brings me to online banks. Money, now, is just a stroke of a keyboard. I dread to think what disaster could befall our tiny nest-egg.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 11:26 am     Facebook

I agree Jerry.. all my kids do facebook and have 100’s of people that want them to “Friend Me”..lots of spam and perverts..I’ve lived 80 years without it, no computer or WiFi.. always had good results selling on the Forum and Craig’s List here..That’s my story and I’m Sticking to It!! Larry Very Happy

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 3:17 pm    

I recall someone on one of my car forums who after many years signed up for Facebook. Within seconds, he got a welcome message, and a message from Facebook saying "Here are some people you may want to reach out to".

I don't remember exactly but it was something like a former neighbor from 2 moves before, a guy he had worked at the same company with but had no interaction with 5 years ago, and a couple other similar things - people who he HAD crossed paths with, but had never had any connection or bond with. But Facebook's data base somehow knew he had known them.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 4:33 pm     Facebook

A shortcut to “Big Brother Is Watching You” Whoa!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 5:34 pm    

Like Marley's ghost, we wear the chains we forged online.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 7:01 pm     Re: Facebook

Lee Baucum wrote:
It has always puzzled me as to why some folks market their goods, products, and/or services solely on Facebook and then require a prospective customer to log in on Facebook in order to view or obtain information about their goods, products, and/or services.

In that case, I wouldn't buy or recommend their products. I choose not to participate in any of the social media sites. But I do post here, and also on an automotive forum, and a shooting forum. That's the limit of my "online presence".

Shoshanah Marohn

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2023 11:20 am    

We at the Steel Guitar Forum never sell your information to anyone. Never ever. No one.

You probably already know this, but I just want to make it clear. We get all kinds of offers, constantly, but nope. This is a good place.

Just sayin.